Board Logo

Headlier stains - solutions?
Volkswagen4me - September 24th, 2015 at 01:27 PM

Hi all,

I've been wanting to clean up the original headliner in my Type 3 for a while as it has stains along the edges (see attached photo). According to other forum posts, the staining is due to glue residue leeching through the vinyl (but anyone please correct me if I'm wrong!). I've tried to clean it with warm soapy water and vinyl interior cleaners, but have had no luck as of yet.

Does anyone know of any solutions that have worked for them in the past?
Also, has anyone had any experience using vinyl dyes and if this might work?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Bizarre - September 24th, 2015 at 06:58 PM

Spray vinyl worked for me

I have heard there is a sealer to spray first - but I just sprayed over.

I had my windows out, but make sure you tape EVERYTHING up

The paint particles just float around and settle and STICK

Bizarre - September 24th, 2015 at 07:04 PM

Just playing with Mr Google and SEM products seem to be the go

The Vinyl Prep seems to just be Isopropyl Alchol - a trip to the chemist

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/3M-Surface-Prep-Vinyl-...

robb - September 24th, 2015 at 08:56 PM

hi have tried to shift the stains with all kinds of stuff but have not found anything that works yet, if you are going to spray it over and pop your windows bite the bullet and get a new head liner but remove the cotton matting stuck to the roof that's where the stain comes from I made the mistake and left it there didn't know better at the time and now its bleeding through again but has taken a long time or just say its headliner with PATINA

cruiser - September 24th, 2015 at 10:06 PM

You could try Ranex (rust converter)? I use this to remove rust stains from boats. It's an acid so this needs to be washed off with water too.

Maybe try bleach too?

Test it on very small spot first.

split - September 25th, 2015 at 12:10 PM

exit mould

Volkswagen4me - September 29th, 2015 at 09:35 PM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone :)
I've heard bleach can make the vinyl brittle and more prone to damage, so am a little more drawn away from that option. I'll give some of the less intrusive options a try first, and if that doesn't work I'll decide whether to spray it, replace it, or just keep as is.

Cheers

Canni. - September 30th, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Another one someone told me - but I haven't tried myself as my headliner the stripey vinyl type that is extremely brittle - is one of those magic erasers (chux make them).

Volkswagen4me - September 30th, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Ok, yeah. I know the ones. I shall give that a try too and let everyone know if any of the above methods worked.

Volkswagen4me - April 20th, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Hi everyone,
I know this is an older thread but I've now tried to remove stains with a couple of methods (with little luck):

- detergent & water - only removes surface dirt.
- Chux Magic erasers - don't work to remove stains, only surface dirt.
- Domestos - (I believe this has some bleach in it) it made the stains less noticeable, making them half as dark as they were. Stains didn't fully disappear though.
- Bam - only removed surface dirt.
- bicarb & white vinegar solution/ bicarb and water - has no effect.
- lavender oil - removes surface dirt and makes the car smell fantastic haha :lol:

I have not tried Rainex (rust converter) or any of the vinyl dyes yet.
In my researching I found SEM vinyl spray would probably be ideal for getting the original off-White/ivory headliner colour, but shipping this from the U.S. is VERY expensive for a can or two. In Australia, it seems the only vinyl dye we have in white is a pure white (no off-White dyes seem available)...

Anyway, I hope this helps anyone else trying to look for solutions. It might save you a bit of time trying the same ones I did. :)

splitbus - April 20th, 2016 at 05:23 PM

Nothing will remove it.
It is the glue bleeding through the vinyl from the back, so it is impregnated in the vinyl, the only way to fix it is to replace with new or spray area with a bleed sealer and coat over with vinyl spray paint, if you don't use a bleed sealer it will bleed through again

Volkswagen4me - April 20th, 2016 at 07:01 PM

Makes perfect sense... I just thought on the off chance that there might be a way to get it out, but trial and error so far has failed :sniffle:
Thanks for the info on the bleed sealer! didn't know about that when it comes to vinyl spraying.