Board Logo

fuel cap size
pv370 - May 26th, 2017 at 08:39 AM

Im chasing up a fuel cap for terry (wombatventures) and have found in my spares 2 differnt sizes for late model (70+) caps.
anyone know what size is for what year, did they change the fuel neck size.
i can do some measurements and post up some pics if needed.
cheers

pv370 - May 26th, 2017 at 05:33 PM

caps

pv370 - May 26th, 2017 at 05:35 PM

sizes

wombatventures - May 26th, 2017 at 07:43 PM

I checked the filler Peter.
The larger cap would not fit in the space under the fuel flap. Ours is a 71.
Would the larger one be from a late Kombi or Beetle? Bert has a locking one for his 72 but it seems to be a screw in cap.

pv370 - May 26th, 2017 at 09:01 PM

i will do some checking over the weekend. i think the larger one i stole the gasket off for my 72 when i had it so maybe 70 71 were smaller.
i will check my cars in the graveyard tomorrow if i remember. think i have a 70 and a 73 so see what i can find out.

ACE76 - May 27th, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Luftung (on smaller cap) means "ventilated" (but ohne means "without", so it must mean "NOT ventilated"). This definitely is an original late type 3 petrol cap; those original caps had the red fibrous-filled looking/rubbery seal.

Luftdicht (on larger cap) means "air-tight". I had one just like that, and although it didn't fit the fuel-filler, it did perfectly fit the OIL-filler (the little spring tabs that hold it on match too) -- and it looked EXACTLY the same as the usual type 3 oil-filler cap - except it had no integral dipstick... so could it be an oil cap? (Did any of these engines not have the integral dipstick?)

pv370 - May 27th, 2017 at 05:11 PM

checked the graveyard and found the smaller one fits the 70. checked the 73 and yes its a screw on cap.
all i can think of is that the larger one must be 72 only as i am sure i stole the washer out of it for my 72 when i had it.
dont know about oil cap ??? thought all type3s had integrated dipstick...
someone will know i guess