Board Logo

Breather box ignorance...
sugarlips - December 10th, 2017 at 02:51 PM

I havent been using my recently acquired notch due to its appearance (didnt want it getting yellow stickered), but just in time for dovw the bodywork was all fixed and smart so i couldnt resist driving her down to Freo straght from the bodyshop last week.

She ran fine but was getting a big lethargic in the hot air on the way back.

I clean forgot that there is no breather box fitted at all....

I am clearly the worlds worst at maintenance but now im worried what i might've done to the engine. She idles fine but but the power is lacking/shes laboured and sluggish :(

No oil light. Plenty of good oil and fuel (albeit shes very petrol-y smelling atm)

So 1. Diagnostic advice please- i know not to drive her further but unsure what to do. I dont fully understand what the missing breather box does beyond stopping dirt etc getting in - would not having one at all strain the engine somehow?

sugarlips - December 10th, 2017 at 02:56 PM

2. What sort of box do i need, and is there a gow to fit? Its a 1970 model

Thanks all!

Bizarre - December 10th, 2017 at 03:20 PM

What carbs do you have?
Is it a stock set up?

if no breather bow - what?
Hose to atmosphere whilst not the best idea works fine

I am guessing it is a timing / tune issue from not being driven

sugarlips - December 10th, 2017 at 03:42 PM

Thanks, shes stock - see attached

bus914 - December 10th, 2017 at 04:16 PM

There's a few things missing in the photo apart from breather box.

It could be running hot because it's sucking in hot air where you can see the generator belt. There should be a cover there.

Also no air filter on the carbies..

If the top is like that there could be things missing underneath too.

Stock should look something like this:
https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/201...

Bizarre - December 10th, 2017 at 04:18 PM

cant see properly - but looks like you are missing the air cleaners
Not the best - but I would be starting with a whole new tune up

grumble - December 11th, 2017 at 06:24 AM

If you are looking for an air filter I have a couple from 1973 type 3's and possibly the fan shroud cover. Check the air bellows from the fan shroud to the bodywork as this is often torn, deteriorated, missing. This will cause overheating but I think engine tune is your starting point.

Fossil - December 13th, 2017 at 04:55 PM

Picture of my T3 Engine (1972 Fastback) - since photo the rubber seal/joiner on the air cleaner has been swapped for an original and the timing hole plug has been put in - both thanks to Les (Grumble)

The 2nd photo is from a friends daughters Squareback

Fossil - December 14th, 2017 at 01:06 PM

The aforementoned seals i got from Les -

sugarlips - December 21st, 2017 at 06:55 PM

Thanks for everyones help, ive made some progress.

new leads and plugs and a new filter (water in the fuel) has her running much better.

Im hsving trouble pm'ing Les though and i need a cap with a coil to hold the breather in place, snyone got one lying around by chance that they can part with please?

barls - December 21st, 2017 at 10:47 PM

try grumble aka les.
hes in sydney atm for christmas so dont expect a quick response.

bushed - December 21st, 2017 at 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugarlips

new leads and plugs and a new filter (water in the fuel) has her running much better.

Im hsving trouble pm'ing Les though and i need a cap with a coil to hold the breather in place, snyone got one lying around by chance that they can part with please?

you mean spring? and cap...what size ?for filter box or ??
try any wrecker someitems are generic

sugarlips - December 22nd, 2017 at 04:12 PM

Thanks Bushed, yep i mean spring and its to screw in the top of the breather box to hold it in place. The thread doesnt look like it would be a generic item.

I shall ring round the local wreckers if no one here has one

grumble - December 24th, 2017 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugarlips

Hi sugarlips,
sorry as barls says I am away at the moment,.Do you need the wing nut that holds the centre of the air filter in place towards the front of the motor? The bracket mounts to the case and has an 8mm nut toadjust the height of the filter then the wing nut with an extended tube underneath screws on to hold the filter securely. I may have one of these, let me know if this is the case.
What we usually refer to as the breather box is the square box mounted on the crankcase with a plastic bung in it and a hose from the air cleaner to allow the crankcase fumes to be released through the air filkter into the engine.
Cheers Les

sugarlips - December 27th, 2017 at 07:52 PM

Many thanks les
Ive been about to sort the air filter so the only piece missing now is the sprung cap for the breather box if you have one please, from your above discription this appears to be what you refer to as the plastic bung as i have the box itself and the air hose already fitted.
Happy holidays

grumble - December 28th, 2017 at 03:10 PM

I will check when I get home. Cheers Les

grumble - December 31st, 2017 at 05:32 PM

PM sent
https://imgur.com/7YhS7BR