Board Logo

Retractable Seat Belts
MeppW - January 20th, 2018 at 11:35 AM

Hey guys, just thought I would tap you knowledge here before I post in the to buy section. Wanting to see if it is possible to put retractable belts in a 72 type 3 Squareback( thanks Peter, car was in great body condition , rebuilt engine and just about to get it on the road)
Would prefer both front and rear if possible but at a stretch just the front would be great . Spoke to the guys at vintage see dub and they seemed to think that you need a set of 76 beetle brackets for the front and they weren't sure about the rears .
just wondering if anyone had any experience with this . thanks ,Will

beetleboyjeff - January 20th, 2018 at 01:57 PM

If you have a good Autobarn store (many others can probably do it too), get them to look up the Klippan brand seat belts - they had them for my 75 beetle, and I think they would be similar for your type 3. The only thing they may not have is the bottom bracket, but I could post a photo if you need to get it made, it is fairly simple.

pv370 - January 20th, 2018 at 02:04 PM

Hey Will, looking forward to seeing some pics of the car.................

Cheers Peter

MeppW - January 20th, 2018 at 03:55 PM

Pete, Got a lot of the resto, Will put some up soon .
Windscreen and tiny bit under battery were the only rust to deal with . She's looking good!

MeppW - January 20th, 2018 at 03:57 PM

Jeff, thanks for the info . I can get the belts , looking to get with webbing that matches seat upholstery . Its the bottom brackets I need . If you have some pics of yours that would be great , thanks , Will

binner - January 20th, 2018 at 05:10 PM

vwheritage has it all, all colors too I think...

beetleboyjeff - January 20th, 2018 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MeppW
Jeff, thanks for the info . I can get the belts , looking to get with webbing that matches seat upholstery . Its the bottom brackets I need . If you have some pics of yours that would be great , thanks , Will

The bottom brackets for a later beetle look like this. They basically turn the mount 90 degrees so the inertia reel is running the correct direction

beetleboyjeff - January 20th, 2018 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beetleboyjeff
Quote:

The bottom brackets for a later beetle look like this. They basically turn the mount 90 degrees so the inertia reel is running the correct direction

..... and this is what the reel looks like mounted in a late beetle

wombatventures - January 20th, 2018 at 08:52 PM

Now the $64 question Jeff... Where do we find them?
I'd like some for the Notch and the Square as well.

beetleboyjeff - January 20th, 2018 at 09:27 PM

They wouldn't be that hard to have made out of a piece of angle. If you need, I could take mine off and make a template of them for you.

MeppW - January 21st, 2018 at 09:49 AM

Jeff , If that would not be too much trouble , that would be great , Thanks , Will

pv370 - January 21st, 2018 at 10:58 AM

looking great Will..............
give me a call if you need any bits as i still have the graveyard.........
cheers Peter

beetleboyjeff - January 21st, 2018 at 06:19 PM

Quote:
Jeff , If that would not be too much trouble , that would be great , Thanks , Will

I will try and do it tomorrow evening

wombatventures - January 21st, 2018 at 08:42 PM

Legend as always.
Got tonnes of heavy duty angle here... well maybe just a few bits but still.
Dimensioned plan would work great and can then make a template.
:tu::yes:

beetleboyjeff - January 23rd, 2018 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about the extra day - I forgot I had a sailing club meeting last night.

Here is a PDF file I have scanned of the drawing I made when I traced the brackets and put measurements on it. The bracket is 3mm thick, and is out of 60 x 45 angle, although I doubt this is critical.

beetleboyjeff - January 23rd, 2018 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about the extra day - I forgot I had a sailing club meeting last night.

Here is a PDF file I have scanned of the drawing I made when I traced the brackets and put measurements on it. The bracket is 3mm thick, and is out of 60 x 45 angle, although I doubt this is critical.

I also have 2 photos of the drawing with the bracket sitting on it to help orientate it, as well as the brand and part number that is stamped into it, if that is any help. There is also a spike that goes into a small hole above the seat belt bolt hole in the bottom of the B pillar, which I assume is to keep the reel level with the car - I am not sure how necessary this would be. Don't forget that this is the left hand side - the right hand side is mirror reversed as in the original photos I posted.

barls - January 24th, 2018 at 03:12 PM

vollks has the whole set up
3 point
https://www.vollks.com.au/store/Seat-belt-3-point-black-lap-chest-retractable...
or 2 point
https://www.vollks.com.au/store/Retractable-2-point-lap-style-seat-belt-unive...

Calcool - July 8th, 2018 at 02:44 PM

I put retractable seat belts in my Karmann Ghia years ago I used the front seat belt brackets from a 70s Kombi and mounted them thru the floor. There are local seat belt suppliers who will make them to colour side and length as well as Australian compliant

1303Steve - July 10th, 2018 at 06:45 PM

Hi

CIP sell a pair of brackets http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-857-024 

The seat belts that Jeffs car uses are not available anymore with the small bolt holes, you can only buy them with a conventional single large bolt hole.

MeppW - August 23rd, 2018 at 02:22 PM

Thanks guys for the responses . Got the brackets from CIP and Boris at Vintage Veedub had the belts made . Small thing but a lot more convenient!