Board Logo

Mexico Vs Germany
mp68 - June 17th, 2007 at 09:50 PM

As you can see from my Dubber rating Im absolute novice so looking for help to identify best engine type 3 engine out of two which have recently picked up .One marked Germany other Mexico . Both in pieces but would like to keep one as project or spare for my Fastback. Also will 68 Type 3 engine fit into 72 type 3 ? Cheers Matt

VWCOOL - June 17th, 2007 at 10:13 PM

You may find it is only the case or block that is from Mexico (many replaceent cases were imprted from Mexico during the 80s/90s) and with unknown mileage on each engines' components, it will be 50/50 as which is the 'best' case... do you know any more about their history

mp68 - June 17th, 2007 at 10:24 PM

Know little about history they came in back of 72 squareback I picked up a couple of months back . Both look similar condition. Any idea about 68 vs 72 engine are they same, as have found a 68 that is for sale (apparently working when removed ) would that be abetter option as spare. Thanks for ideas!

vwjon - June 18th, 2007 at 11:28 PM

have a look at the bearing journels, (where the bearing sits) check for wear or damage, look right round the mating surfaces on both left and right sides, someone may have used a screw driver to part them, causing damage and an oil leak.
also look where the oil cooler sits cos there were some german cases that were weak and cracked causing oil leaks!

keep an eye out!

mp68 - June 19th, 2007 at 09:09 PM

Advice much appreciated !