Board Logo

H4 Light upgrade
GTMac - August 12th, 2007 at 12:01 AM

Hi all,

Best mod to date. Bought original H4 Hella units made in Germany from Roy at Bus Stop. Fit straight in so easy and attach at the small tabs inside the light bucket.

They take the universal 3 prong style globe so you can really crank up the watts. The only mod is cutting down the adjustment screws on your chrome trim as the adjustment is on the light assembly itself.

$99 each is a bargain. Low beam is 10 times better than my old high beam.

VWCOOL - August 12th, 2007 at 10:17 AM

I agree with your assessment of the performance increase but mate I hope you mean $99 each kit of two lights...

1303Steve - August 12th, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Hi

If you exceed the factory wattage by too much you will need to fit extra relays to the light circuit. I use Narva + 50s they are the same wattage but brighter.

It good to have lots of light with a car with more hp, also comforting when you get older

Steve

GTMac - August 12th, 2007 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL
I agree with your assessment of the performance increase but mate I hope you mean $99 each kit of two lights...

Glenn,

Have done my research (you know me) and yes I could find cheaper stuff or 2nd hand stuff for $99 a set, but I still think original Made In Germany H4 Hella lights that slot in with 3 screws is pretty damn good at $99 each. 30 year old H4 stuff is selling for $100 plus.

Steve, have not gone silly with the extra watts, still within the range, upped the fuse slightly thats all.

Anyway, I know there are millions of VWs that need some extra vision at night and I think this is simple and relatively cheap way to do it.

Andrew

h - August 13th, 2007 at 09:28 AM

yeah i put new eyes in my 54..
i used to H4s with the cool blue bulbs in 356 buckets n its like wow..
i can see where im going now..
i know what ya mean.. best investment for any old ride..

VWCOOL - August 13th, 2007 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GTMac
Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL

Glenn,

Have done my research (you know me) and yes I could find cheaper stuff or 2nd hand stuff for $99 a set, but I still think original Made In Germany H4 Hella lights that slot in with 3 screws is pretty damn good at $99 each. 30 year old H4 stuff is selling for $100 plus.

Steve, have not gone silly with the extra watts, still within the range, upped the fuse slightly thats all.

Anyway, I know there are millions of VWs that need some extra vision at night and I think this is simple and relatively cheap way to do it.

Andrew

Yeah, cool, It's just that I remembered paying $130 for a kit... but that was a decade ago!! :duh