Board Logo

7 year wait, chassis done.. well almost
alansvw - October 4th, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Thought I would start a thread on the buildup of my 1961 Ghia. Background info; I purchased it site unseen while sitting in a doctors office looking at a 4 month old issue of Unique Cars i saw the advert for the one owner powder blue ghia and fell in love. I rang up and found it was still available, in fact no one had responded. I bought it then and shipped from Tumut back to Sydney. I enjoyed the car for three months and let rego expire then stripped it and for the last 7 years it has sat patiently waiting while I have collected the parts from around the world.
Last week I had it Soda Blasted by Advanced Soda Blasting. I must say I was impressed with their service. (Thanks for the people that recommended them) The ghia was delivered back on friday and it has exposed some unexpected issues. I had not expected to find, like the rust around the headlights so am now thinking about going with early model buckets see attached. What the general opinion?

bajachris88 - October 4th, 2010 at 10:17 AM

i like the slant eye style... very 911 or pre 68' type 1 stylin :P

:tu:

vwsteve - October 4th, 2010 at 12:26 PM

they all rust around the headlights mate, from the pics above it looks like a nice straight project, clean nose too is very hard to find,good luck:cool:

squizy - October 4th, 2010 at 01:16 PM

Looks like a good base, but please don't cut the buckets IMO.

newghia - October 4th, 2010 at 04:00 PM

get em fixed, too good a body to cut,
Nath

chris7 - October 4th, 2010 at 07:16 PM

what a car i love it....what does it cost roughly to get yr car soda blasted?

Wannavee - October 4th, 2010 at 07:45 PM

Nah,ya can't do that to a Ghia mate! Keep it standard

alansvw - October 4th, 2010 at 09:37 PM

I used Advanced Soda Blasting in Blacktown, I asked on the forum and they were recommended. Jason was great, he arranged pick and delivery back to my home in the total price of $2000.

kg1962 - October 4th, 2010 at 11:27 PM

It would be a shame to cut it. Keep the car standard.

sputnick60 - October 6th, 2010 at 10:18 PM

You can get the sheet metal from CIP in the US

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D141%2D809%2D145 
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D404%2D211 
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D404%2D212 

Aussie dollar is 0.97 USD. Delivery is about $30 to $50. Will arrive within 10 days from Canada.

Don't cut them just because you can't find the right answer.... Ghias are just too rare.

Nicholas

waveman1500 - October 6th, 2010 at 10:27 PM

You've definitely got a good car there, it looks almost brand-new with no filler on it. A lot of apparently good cars come back looking like swiss cheese once the rust and filler are removed.

alansvw - October 7th, 2010 at 04:38 PM

I'm tossing up between two wheels. The Radar 17x7 in chrome like on Red Ghia above but have a slit ridge and this wheel again 17x7 but as its custom made they say I can order 17x6.

Bizarre - October 7th, 2010 at 04:41 PM

Radars for me
Not a fan of chrome

You staying wide 5??

naylor_james - October 7th, 2010 at 05:02 PM

Those billet specialties wheels are 4 stud?? What are they worth??? If you get the radars you will need a narrowed beam who will do thatfor you??? Try showwheels or budnik wheels budnik guys are super helpful and vw fanatics but are pretty pricey....showwhels guys are knobs... What else are your plans you seem to have similar ideas to what im doing to my squareback... My pile of billet goodies is growing in the living room as we speak. Awesome stuff mate gorgeous car!!! Ps: at the risk of upsetting everyone.. But two sets of guards do one leant back style and one standard.. Lean back looks gorgeous especially on a slammed car, James ps: check out

naylor_james - October 7th, 2010 at 05:04 PM

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2...

Think you might like this

alansvw - October 7th, 2010 at 07:17 PM

I already have the engine , its in my sons Red Aero Look Lbug. 2180 48Ida's Porsche fan housing, custom built exhaust etc. he has just purchased a 2276 Turbo which arrives from the USA in two weeks..we'll have it removed then my engine will be tricked up for show as it has the go already. My goal is to have the engine look like attached. Mine will be painted with a darker beige. The interior colour will be like seat below

VW-VARIANT-L - October 7th, 2010 at 08:53 PM

as Nicholas said, headlight replacement sections are now readily available, can look like you've taken short cuts when beetle grafts are used and IMHO will devalue compared with stock.

Quote:
Originally posted by naylor_james
Those billet specialties wheels are 4 stud?? What are they worth??? If you get the radars you will need a narrowed beam who will do thatfor you??? Try showwheels or budnik wheels budnik guys are super helpful and vw fanatics but are pretty pricey....showwhels guys are knobs... What else are your plans you seem to have similar ideas to what im doing to my squareback... My pile of billet goodies is growing in the living room as we speak. Awesome stuff mate gorgeous car!!! Ps: at the risk of upsetting everyone.. But two sets of guards do one leant back style and one standard.. Lean back looks gorgeous especially on a slammed car, James ps: check out

...narrowed type 1 beams for type 1 ghias are readily available, as apposed to your squareback's Type 3 beam

... ghia guards are welded on, not bolt on like beetles and type 3 :no:

naylor_james - October 7th, 2010 at 08:59 PM

Well devo for my two ideas:( maybe don't fuck with the headlights..

guru - October 8th, 2010 at 09:09 PM

re Headlights....

Its your car buddy, if you like the slanted lights go for it.
You can always change it back to stock..... its only metal.
I've changed my ghia's h/lights 3 times.

helbus - October 8th, 2010 at 09:20 PM

Do whatever you want to do. Put E-Type Jaguar headlights on if you want to. Just do it, don't talk about it, and don't let it be an unfinished project.

HappyDaze - October 9th, 2010 at 09:08 AM

If you need to replace headlight buckets, I have a jig that you can borrow - keeps the buckets in the correct place while welding. Also some clamps, that I made when I made the jig, that hold the bits in place.

alansvw - October 10th, 2010 at 05:44 PM

thanks happy , have sent a PM

naylor_james - October 10th, 2010 at 06:14 PM

Hellbus, is it not the point of a forum to talk about what your doing to your car???
Cheer up buddy :)

isky - October 10th, 2010 at 09:44 PM

looking forward to seeing more of this thread as you progress. Id never cut mine but it's your car ma man do what you like! you obviously like the look, and as Guru said "it's only metal you can always change it back"

and yes talk away with ideas, questions, ask opinions etc, that's what we're all here for. Plus there's not enough KG stuff happening so the more the merrier!

alansvw - October 11th, 2010 at 08:41 PM

If I go with the 356 Porsche headlight buckets then I would think about removing the side chrome trim. Also over the last few years I have collected matching NOS or a near perfect set of gauges including a matching tacho . I have also been able to collect all the pits to make up two Swan neck mirrors just need to find someone to resto them to show quality. Suspension will be my biggest hurdle, the king & link pin beam already has a strange disc brake conversion. I did post a link but it vanished so will try again. I will sell this beam and replace with an IRS pan and ball joint front end, just need find one.

Flintstones - October 11th, 2010 at 10:04 PM

It's your ride, modify it as much or as little as you like.
The only point I will make is, if you are going to mod it, make sure it is done tastefully.
There have been plenty of people that throw money to modify their car and it looks like crap.
Sloping headlights on a ghia only adds to the look as it follows the front nose section and makes the car look sleek.
It will be an expression of yourself when finished.
Cheers
D
p.s. I think the revolver from Budnik would look hot:tu:

vwsteve - October 12th, 2010 at 09:03 AM

i love the look of the engine in the 54 model bug, i would like to see more of that bug if you have it, looks like a nice car

alansvw - October 12th, 2010 at 08:20 PM

have been trying to load some more images of the cream bug for you but get message Image too large? no different to what I loaded a day ago?

Gracey - October 12th, 2010 at 09:12 PM

Love the layback style headlights, they give a ghia a Porsche feel while remaining tasteful.

However if it was my car I'd probably leave it std, but it's not my car it's yours, so go for it!! :tu:

Ollie - October 20th, 2010 at 05:47 PM

I've spent a lot of time walking back and past this car when it's been hidden away under four layers of sheets, and I'm stoked it's getting started! It's going to be very tastefully done indeed!