Board Logo

my 71 SQUAREBACK resto
binner - January 16th, 2011 at 07:56 PM

so, I'm having the midlife crisis and found this square about 4 months ago, I couldn't pass it up.
I have been out of the game for about 10 years but previous to the break had a few superbugs, a few early notchies, a squareback, a split screen, a single cab ute, an early bug....... wow if only I could of predicted the future of prices for VW's I would of kept every one of them.

So here are a few pics of the square ee

binner - January 16th, 2011 at 08:46 PM

more fun times........

binner - April 2nd, 2011 at 06:52 PM

few more....

RATAFIED - April 2nd, 2011 at 06:58 PM

looking good
:starhit:

SA Fastback - April 3rd, 2011 at 04:35 PM

Wow, looks great :)

68AutoBug - April 3rd, 2011 at 05:51 PM

WOW

EXCELLENT JOB...

ONE VERY NICE LOOKING SQUAREBACK....

TYPE 3 VARIANT...

YOU MUST HAVE BEEN WORKING DAY & NIGHT...LOL

LEE

L469 - April 3rd, 2011 at 06:15 PM

looks fantastic is that sumatra green?:tu: hard to tell from pics top choice whatever it is:tu::tu::tu:

binner - April 3rd, 2011 at 07:15 PM

Thanks peoples..........

Actually I did work on it night and day all over xmas holidays, about 6 weeks worth. There was one night I was working on it and I looked out to the street and thought...hmmmmm everyones lights are out it must be late, looked at my clock and it was about 2am in the morning!!!!

But it was all worth it, the student I bought the car off couldn't believe it was the same VW that I bought off her a few months ago.

The color is my own formula, we sat at the mixing bench and did a lil at a time and then when I was happy we stopped, coded it and called it "Frog green".

I have to admit though, these days it's so much to get parts and use the internet, the many resto's I did 12+ years ago was more of an effort to find bits n pieces and lots of faxing and midnite calls to USA to get parts.

Thank goodness for technology and internets.....

Bizarre - April 3rd, 2011 at 08:53 PM

Nice - love yer wheels as well

I have them on an L Bug - never seen them on a square before
Suits the car :tu:

Any plans for the motor??

binner - April 3rd, 2011 at 09:53 PM

I did a top end on it with 1641 slip fits, ported polished the heads, finally sorted out the empi carbs. I would like to go a bit bigger,, maybe 1776 or 1835 not sure yet.

I'm loving the li engine at the moment