Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 25619 | Total Replies: 315 | Thread Id: 102601 ]
 Pages:  1  ..  9  10  11
Author: Subject:  Nate's Manxter Build Ej22/Subarugears Upgrade
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 41

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: Dying to get more buggy building time..

posted on February 5th, 2017 at 08:16 PM

Got a far bit done this weekend even though it was 40 degrees in the garage.. Made up the mount for the bonnet, refit the cv's and axles and checked their clearance, all good thankfully. I went to fit my stiffer type 3 torsion bars that I bought years ago but it turns out I only have one stiffer spring and one stock one... :grind:
Seriously f@&k my luck sometimes! Also the bay window front shocks I bought to get a little extra droop out of the rear end are shorter than the ones on there now! So I just added a few
degrees on the spring plates to help with the extra weight out back now.
I also connected up the rest of the Ecu harness and all the idiot lights and gauges for the motor. I still haven't plugged the Ecu in yet as I need to still wire in the fuel pump and fans as well as the engine light.
I still need to do a bit more clearancing up the front for the radiator fan as well.
I made a throttle cable and modified the pedal so I get full throttle now. Also remotely mounted the reservoir for the hydraulic clutch master cylinder as I can no longer get to the tunnel opening with the radiator up front now. I also made a hump for the transmission hump cover thing so the intake pipe now has clearance.
Slowly getting there!

It will all be OK in the end, if it's not OK it's not the end!
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 12th, 2017 at 08:01 PM

Had a big day yesterday with my mate helping me weld up the cooling lines and a couple of small fittings for the heater.
Had another day in the garage today, mounted up the coolant lines, made up most of the heater lines as well, made the harness for the fan, hooked up a switch so I can turn the fan on manually (low speed) if I am tootling along for what ever reason. The ECU still has full control over the fan and turns it on when it sees fit (high speed).
Finally grew a pair and plugged the ECU in and turned the ignition on. I was going to do a full double check of all the pin outs but I didn't!
No smoke!! No crazy fault codes either. It cycles the fuel pump (just a light at this stage) just like it did in the donor.
I can't quite remember the outcome of the test connectors when the car was together, but I plug the blacks together and the fuel pump and fan cycles alternately and the check engine light blinks slowly. But not blinking a code. So happy days. If anyone can remember please chime in.
So still need to mount the fuel tank pop a couple of big holes in it for the fuel pump and the yet to be purchased sender. Mount the heater unit and wire that in, remake whatever doesn't fit around it.
Buy a muffler, catalytic converter, some shiny stainless and make it all one piece.
If anyone knows who makes a quiet stainless muffler in 2" please let me know!!

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 12th, 2017 at 08:02 PM

I have two fill points, a low one just under the air box on the suction side, and the high point in the car on the pressure side. I also have a bleed point on the radiator.
Hopefully that'll be enough to get all the air out. I don't have any bleeds on the heater/bypass lines but I think I won't need them. We'll see.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 26th, 2017 at 09:13 PM

Well I had the worst couple of weeks I have ever had, my wife and I had to put our beloved cat Misha down, she was almost 12 years old we have had her since she was 3. She got a virus and pneumonia just after we got back from holidays and just couldn't shake it. We are absolutely gutted. This has affected me so much more than losing my father a year ago.
Haven't really been in the mood to do anything but I have been forcing myself to get something done on the weekends at least.
All the small crap seems to take so long to do and get sorted but it is almost there.
Got the fuel lines all bent up and flared and connected, Made a heat shield/deflector for the radiator, as to not blow hot air through the dash, mounted the fan and wired them up.
Took a dirty great big hole saw to Paul's work of art, that beautiful fuel tank so I could mount the subaru fuel pump, I make up some quick release fuel fittings so I can undo the straps and have the tank out in under five minutes if need be. (makes topping up the reservoirs a lot easier.)
I was going to re use the ones out of the suby but figured out these fabric tie downs are a lot easier and neater. Will re use the rubber strap covers though.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 26th, 2017 at 09:14 PM

Started mounting the cooling lines and the heater lines today but ran out of them rubber coated 'p clamps'
Got one side done though. Had to crack out the hole saw again and punch two holes in the side of the car just in front of the pedals so I can get coolant to the yet to be fitted heater. Ended up having to recess the holes as the grommets supplied were obviously not meant for a thick fiberglass body and sat all funny. So I got covered in fiberglass once again.. (I thought I was done doing that?)

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on February 26th, 2017 at 09:15 PM

I bought a shortened set of headers in stainless to build my exhaust from, really not impressed with them at all, I have never seen somebody so unimpressed with their tig welds that they have to be ground down.. and they are still too bloody long and foul on the cage. So it looks like I will just have to remake them as well. Should have just done that from the start. It looks like I will have to flange them just after the headers and bolt the short headers on before the motor mounts get bolted up. Hopefully won't have to pull too much stuff off to lift up the motor. :roll:
I got the intake system all finished too.

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on March 18th, 2017 at 07:39 PM

IT RUNS!!! :smilegrin:
Finished building the exhaust today and got the balls to turn the key, fired up instantly and sat there and purred like a kitten, really stoked with the note of the exhaust, (I built a unequal length header system for that subaru burble) it is a tad too deep but I have a low volume insert I can put in to quieten it down if need be. Just have to bolt everything back in now then I can take it for a squirt.
Pics and video to come tomorrow!

Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!
Ben Hal Outlaw Bushranger

Threads: 131

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Kids think I'm obsessed!

posted on March 22nd, 2017 at 06:49 PM

Nice one. Look forward to see the vid and hearing the sounds.

68 Baja - It's a growing pain!
58 Baja ute - and the pain spreads!
85 T3 Kombi - still growing
89 T3 Kombi - parts car
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on April 10th, 2017 at 08:17 AM

Well I am finally on the road again legally!! After doing battle with the RMS's new 'updated' system for 2 1/2 hours the car is registered and engineered.
I have done about 400k's so far love the motor!
It is very smooth, it has a awesome note that I am so proud of! :yes:
The ratios that Todd suggested are great and I only have to remember that I have 5 gears now every second drive! I went with the stiffer subaru group n engine mounts which are a lot stiffer than stock but vibrate a hell of a lot less than any stiffer vw engine mounts.
I have a couple of niggling oil leaks to sort out then wifey and I are heading up the coast to visit my mum.
Sorry for not getting any pictures or videos up yet as I have been silly busy sorting all the legal crap out...
will happen soon hopefully.
So far on the fuel economy I have used 40 litres for 400k's of mostly around the block testing and no highway k's at all, so I am stoked with that too.
I have since moved the front number plate off to the side and the temperature has dropped to 85 when moving all the time, where as with the big plate in front of the radiator it was sitting on 90-92 degrees.
It'll eventually creep up to 95 degrees when stationary then come down to 90 when the fans turn off.
So I think i'll just get a set off slim line plates and call the cooling system done.

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 24th, 2017 at 09:13 PM

Sorry guys I forgot to throw up more pics... and I can't sort out putting a video up of the sound because I am retarded..
But here are a few pics of things I got done before..
Here are a few of the heater I got from summit, It works pretty well, it would be better if I didn't have such a big run of heat shedding aluminium pipe to the heater. I was thinking of wrapping it in some of that air-con foam insulating stuff.. I'm sure the heater loop could be bypassed with another electronic heater tap working opposite to the main tap, but couldn't be bothered re-inventing the wheel at this point..!
Got another pic of the alloy tank all plumbed up and strapped down as well, I have since had to make a fuel vapour separator as the charcoal canister was filling up with raw fuel...!

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 24th, 2017 at 09:15 PM

I had to basically remake the headers, I should have done that from the start as they were appallingly bad. If a gumby like me can do nicer welds then you should re think your business model... :grind:
Pretty pleased with how they turned out, would have been nicer if they were purged on the inside but not 100% necessary.
I am f@#king stoked with the exhaust note though!! Which is really what I was going for with the uneven primary lengths.

Error

Error

Error

Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 24th, 2017 at 09:16 PM

And I also had to make a heat shield/cage thingy for the special people that are too dumb to realize that exhausts are hot...
I ended up making a new v.s.s wheel to try and keep the ECU happy on deceleration but I ended up just having to earth the neutral switch and now it is happy and doesn't stall.
After all that work though I didn't get my wish and had to pull the entire driveline to fix a oil leak in the box, Todd the gentlemen he is got it sorted as quick as possible though so now it is happy days! If I figure out how to put up a video I will though because I love the sounds this thing makes now! 8)
I had another small issue too, the steering uni joint had seized up while I was doing the conversion and now with the Torsen differential wanting to just go straight I need all the steering I can get!
I got another uni joint and had a close look at it to see if I could improve it.
The uni's were not clocked correctly from the subaru factory on either of my uni's and each one had tight spots in various points in rotation.
I cut, removed and re pressed and welded the uni's in phase like drive shafts are and now I have smooth steering all the way through the range. It drives and steers so much nicer now.One thing I will give the old Vw motor is that it had a heap more punch off idle which I contribute to the big webers, but once over about 2500 the EJ22 would leave it for dead.. It is heaps better on fuel too and stays in the one gear up big long hills but to be fair it now has 5 nicely spaced gear ratios to choose from.
(when I remember I now have 5 gears) :crazy:

Error

Error

MemberBlasterTheRedBajaBug
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 78

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Charcoal
Mood: Playing the cards, like they were what I wanted

posted on May 24th, 2017 at 09:23 PM

I just bought chicken wire to put over my engine because that is what the engineer told me to do for a cheap fix until I build one myself.

Nobody can drive you crazy, unless you give them the keys.
Membervduboy
Insano Dub Head

posted on May 24th, 2017 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BlasterTheRedBajaBug
I just bought chicken wire to put over my engine because that is what the engineer told me to do for a cheap fix until I build one myself.

I just used aluminium fly screen, hasn't melted yet...!

Membermontybug
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 8

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Just startin'

posted on May 25th, 2017 at 08:45 AM

Wish i can get this house reno of mine out of the way faster so that i can spend time working on my project again.. :)
Memberbaghall
Custom Title Time!
Ben Hal Outlaw Bushranger

Threads: 131

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Kids think I'm obsessed!

posted on May 26th, 2017 at 06:54 AM

Congrats, glad to see it's on the road. Happy trails!

68 Baja - It's a growing pain!
58 Baja ute - and the pain spreads!
85 T3 Kombi - still growing
89 T3 Kombi - parts car
 Pages:  1  ..  9  10  11

Go To Top