Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1128 | Total Replies: 9 | Thread Id: 103323 ]
Author: Subject:  Excited New 1st Time Bug Owner!
Membercemspec
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 11

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

yes.gif posted on September 4th, 2013 at 07:44 AM
Excited New 1st Time Bug Owner!

Hi Guys

My name is Lisa and thanks for allowing me to join AVD I am hoping I get some great advice and ideas from this aussie forum.

I have always wanted a beetle from very young after the Herbie movies (yes that is how old i am!) and only just now finally getting one!

I have just currently bought a 1974 beetle which I haven't received yet and only went off photos so expecting some surprises but thats ok as I want a project not a going vehicle as I want my own attachment to it. She is very bright and out there i certainly wont be sneaking around! All my friends have had a good laugh and think I am having a mid life crisses!

Apparently the motor is out of it and on the back floor so it will need a total rebuild which I will do myself, so what do you recommend is a definate part that will need to be new? It is a 1600cc and a AS motor was told they are quite good! Hubby is the car person but he has told me he will teach me what to do and i can do everything on it so I can bond with it! :) :(

Look forward to hear from you all! :)

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberCamo
A.k.a.: Kev
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 209

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 08:50 AM

Hi Lisa,

and welcome aboard. You sound like me, in that I liked them many, many years ago and didn't get one until in my 40's (early 40's that is). I know you don't have the car yet and I see you are in Sydney. If not to far away, we are meeting at Harry's Cafe Liverpool this Friday night if you and hubby want to come along and chat about VW's.

If not, there are lots of friendly people on here to ask questions of.

Congratulations, Kev

I thought rebuilding a VW would be cheap - Shit I was wrong, just don't let the wife know !!!!

Click here for my (slowy) modded 1961 Beetle build.
Membercemspec
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 09:10 AM

thanks heaps kev yeh think it will be a while before this girl will be driveable! yes i am the same vintage as you but more late 40's :( but dont tell anyone! :)

thanks for the offer of the meet but unfortunately we are going away for a week on friday hence why dont have car yet till we get back!

i am sure there will be heaps more!
MemberCamo
A.k.a.: Kev
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 209

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cemspec

i am sure there will be heaps more!

Without a doubt. Enjoy your time away and keep us all updated with the progress.

Kev

I thought rebuilding a VW would be cheap - Shit I was wrong, just don't let the wife know !!!!

Click here for my (slowy) modded 1961 Beetle build.
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Isn't that how most VW stories start out?

Welcome to the nut house Lisa, don't be afraid to ask questions, remember the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Just for when you order parts for it, what you have bought is actually a Superbug L not a Beetle.
The suspension, dash, windscreen, various body parts etc are different so its easy to end up with the wrong parts if you buy for 74 Beetle instead of a 74 Superbug.
Membercemspec
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Stupid question coming up already!!

Joel how do you know its a superbug from looking at that photo? because it has a 1600cc motor? the boot doesnt have the 'L' on it so wasnt sure as I know there is a 1303, 1303A, 1303L, 1303S and 1303LS, I dont know if they were all available in australia though!

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Super ModeratorYogie
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 108

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 12:19 PM

It is the curved windscreen that is the most obvious tell tale. Other things are the longer front bonnet with the flatish bottom on the end of it. The front guards curve backwards at the bottom as well. On the rear, you have the big "elephants foot" tail lights also. Overseas they are known as the 1303 model but in Australia, it was the L Bug.

Welcome aboard as well.

Yogie
Membercemspec
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 12:56 PM

thanks heaps for that Yogie that is great news I was hoping it was! Next thing is I just found out that these photos were taken when the previous owner bought it not current ones and that it has been sitting outside in the open for the last 1 1/2yrs!! grrr God knows what it looks like now and how much rust is in it as I saw some in the above photos from back then! oh well I own it now will see it in a weeks time trying not to think about it!
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 01:04 PM

Pretty much what Yogie said.

THe shorter but wider front bonnet is the first clue, but the windscreen is the other one, its 42% larger and curved but that only works with Superbug L, as Superbug S still have the old small flat windscreen.

Becomes really noticable when you see one next to a flat windscreen.

I've written a thread up over in the bugs forum explaining the differences about them.

Hopefully it hasn't degraded too badly sitting out for almost 2 years.

Very slack of the seller putting up very old photos, there is no excuse for it, nearly everyone has a camera phone these days or knows someone that would.
Membercemspec
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 4th, 2013 at 04:06 PM

Thanks Joel your thread was good reading and its great to hear I have a superbug L just got to hope the rust isnt holding it together! I dont mind if it has work needing to be done if people are honest with you andup front but when you think you are getting something eg my photos and something alot worse turns up well thats going to piss me off! I really want to put a sunroof in it and I thought a carrera whale tail would look good on it but cant seem to find one! Then I will look like im having a mid life crises! hehe

Go To Top