Author: Subject:  S/L Bug non factory vert
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 24

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Grey
Mood: 'Super' defensive

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 07:55 PM
S/L Bug non factory vert

Due to price I picked up a 74? S/L Bug convertible today off Gumtree,couldn't walk away,I have spent a couple of hours looking for surprises but only found easy fix problems,one side floor pan with small rust hole and a couple of small rust problems on body. All pillars look good,doors good,front and back bumpers are crap,so on replacement list,bug has been rustproofed and magnet test worked on 95% of the body,I know its only a Superbug but happy to have a Dub to play with,

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error

Shaun,Part-time secret snake relocator,full time reptile keeper and small collector of ugly projects bugs ...:crazy:
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Happy

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 08:29 PM

looks like a 1303 L Bug with a rag top been cut in ????

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
Memberian.mezz
Wolfsburg Elder
I never said, I could write or spell

Threads: 280

Mood: Happy

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 08:32 PM
German LOOK

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=German+Look+Super+Beetle&FORM=RESTAB 

:lol::crazy::lol::crazy::lol:
car forums. where a lot of peoples good intentions end up taking a good old car off the road forever never ever to see the road again. :fakesniff:
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 08:50 PM

Confirmed from vin and compliance plate is a 1303,previously registered in NSW as a convertible and only recently out of rego,unsure yet but chasing history of convertible conversion from previous owners,no modification plate fitted and unsure in NSW regs require them.But its a clean car underneath,plans to have it as a modern classic and abit custom.

Shaun,Part-time secret snake relocator,full time reptile keeper and small collector of ugly projects bugs ...:crazy:
Memberoldskoolguy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 09:05 PM

Looks like fun, good luck with it mate.
The car doesn't appear to have gutters, is that the way they were?
Rob.

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 09:17 PM

Yes Rob no Gutters and as I posted earlier I checked the whole body with a magnet especially around roof section and found some filler but generally abit surprised I how straight the car is and how little rust and filler.

Memberoldskoolguy

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadpan
Yes Rob no Gutters and as I posted earlier I checked the whole body with a magnet especially around roof section and found some filler but generally abit surprised I how straight the car is and how little rust and filler.

Sweet! Rip into it :)

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 09:28 PM

Car so far has had a dodgy wash to get rid of dust,my partner is already de-chroming and already discussing disc brakes all round but can't decide 4 or 5 bolt brakes and if it will limit wheel choices by changing

Memberoldskoolguy

posted on April 21st, 2014 at 09:31 PM

:tu: I'm sure you'll get lots of advise along the way.

1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Memberscootissimo
Learner Dubber

Threads: 6

posted on April 28th, 2014 at 10:02 AM
SB Convertible

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadpan
Confirmed from vin and compliance plate is a 1303,previously registered in NSW as a convertible and only recently out of rego,unsure yet but chasing history of convertible conversion from previous owners,no modification plate fitted and unsure in NSW regs require them.But its a clean car underneath,plans to have it as a modern classic and abit custom.

Hi Deadpan...
I have a 72 SB Convertible I had trucked down from Canberra just over 12 months ago. it was chopped in 2006 and came with full engineering paperwork, mines a full roof off job though, yours looks like a big sunroof and may not have needed the extra engineering and therefore no paperwork? Mine has the full rollbar and inserted metal plate struts from the rollbar across to the body covering the area where the back "door cards" would usually be.
"Gretchen" is out of rego and having a facelift and new parts. I missed this summer but am dreaming of next! As I am in SW Vic Gretchen is a seasonal ride for sure!! ;)

Some pics here at my scooter blog-couldn't figure out how to add here, better go do some reading ;)

72 Super Beetle Convertible "Gretchen"

1972 VW Super Beetle Convertible - "Gretchen"
1967 SS180 Vespa-"Sophia"
1966 150 Super Custom Vespa -"Francesca"
2009 GTS300ie Vespa-"Arabella"
MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on April 28th, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Hi Sam, you just need to resize your pics to under 200kb for them to attach on here like this.

You really need to do something about that electric fuel pump, not only is it a fire hazard as it is now, being above the level of the fuel tank it will burn out pretty quick, they need to be under the fuel tank with a good gravity feed.
It was probably a temporary road side fix to get the car home that has ended up being not so temporary.

Also like most convertibles yours has been a rainbow of colours but the original colour was white not red.

Sorry about the mini hijack Deadpan.

Error
Memberscootissimo
Learner Dubber

posted on April 28th, 2014 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Hi Sam, you just need to resize your pics to under 200kb for them to attach on here like this.

You really need to do something about that electric fuel pump, not only is it a fire hazard as it is now, being above the level of the fuel tank it will burn out pretty quick, they need to be under the fuel tank with a good gravity feed.
It was probably a temporary road side fix to get the car home that has ended up being not so temporary.

Also like most convertibles yours has been a rainbow of colours but the original colour was white not red.

No worries at all..for a lady vw owner this is all good info..there seems to be lots to fix up, haven't found anyone here to help really so just been plodding away, I have a huge box of stuff to go on if I can find a mechanic who won't hang up on me when I mention the words..vw beetle! ;)
Got a sparky friend helping with wiring, hit a snag when i bought the euromax headlight relay! Grrr. Now I know that brand is no good and I have an original coming from an aussieveedubber..we can get back on track..

How do I find that info for my paint colour? To do with the numbers on the alloy plate at the front I suppose?

So I need to attach pics not insert? Cool..thanks heaps for info.

MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on April 28th, 2014 at 06:34 PM

No problem about the mini hijack Joel,Sam if its an original colour it should be easy to Google http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/colors/colorchrt.htm 

MemberJoel
Scirocco Rare
Now containing 100% E-Wang

Threads: 211

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Tact Level 0.00

posted on April 28th, 2014 at 09:23 PM

Clayton factory used Dulux Australia colours so they don't match up with stuff overseas, they were actually Datsun/Volvo colours from memory.

Sam yours being 72 the white would be Antarctica White.
There was a name and code sticker for the paint on the cross member under the fuel tank or the front apron but they are often gone after several paint jobs.

You can use the file attachment on here to post photos if they are under 200kb or use a photo hosting site like Photobucket etc

They are pretty easy cars to learn on, there's several female owners on here that love to swing a spanner on their VWs.

I'm sure if you start a thread and post up any issues you're having someone will help out or may know a mechanic in your area that can help.
MemberDeadpan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on June 17th, 2014 at 07:21 PM

Bit of an update,it has been interesting dating this L Bug,frame 10/74 - speedo 4/74- body 6/76 - engine lid 70/71 - front suspension(3 bolt) 73 - front bumper 75/76, rust investigation is nothing major couple of minor body repairs and couple of holes in the drivers side floor pan,I have found evidence of a previous resto most likely when the 74 body got scrapped and the 76 was the replacement.They cut and plated 'new' sections in the spare wheel well,under fuel tank,in front of A pillar both sides and a couple of other spots.So I guess with the collection of parts from 71 to mid 76,yet to find 72, I am at a loss for a name ,maybe Abitza? Can't hold anything against it for it's chequered history,that would be like having problems with my partner for her slight modifications.

Memberscootissimo
Learner Dubber

posted on October 22nd, 2014 at 02:54 PM
Electric Fuel Pump

Quote:

White not red? Bugger, someones done some dodgey painting over the years!

I thought I had better do some homework on the fuel pump as mentioned by Joel it may be a fire risk where it is. I found amongst all the paperwork I got from the PO that all servicing (and addition of the fuel pump in question) was undertaken by The Beetle Exchange in Canberra, I'd have to make the assumption they know what they're doing in there? So I am less stressed about it now. My old girl has been at the mechanic for 3 weeks awaiting brakes and random parts, going to try for bog standard rego..fingers are firmly crossed..!!

MemberCarl and Emily

Threads: 38

posted on October 25th, 2014 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scootissimo
Quote:

White not red? Bugger, someones done some dodgey painting over the years!

I thought I had better do some homework on the fuel pump as mentioned by Joel it may be a fire risk where it is. I found amongst all the paperwork I got from the PO that all servicing (and addition of the fuel pump in question) was undertaken by The Beetle Exchange in Canberra, I'd have to make the assumption they know what they're doing in there? So I am less stressed about it now. My old girl has been at the mechanic for 3 weeks awaiting brakes and random parts, going to try for bog standard rego..fingers are firmly crossed..!!

Sorry again deadpan,..

Please take Joels advice RE fuel pump.
Joel absolutely knows what he's talking about.
Also if there is a plastic fuel filter in the engine bay,.. that is also a big no no. The place for the fuel filter is up the front under the tank.

Go To Top