Author: Subject:  Carpet v Rubber flooring kits
MemberACT65Deluxe
Casual Dubber

Threads: 10

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Always Chilled

posted on May 29th, 2014 at 08:33 PM
Carpet v Rubber flooring kits

Ok. I have a standard 1965 beetle and I have been chatting with Brad (BusnBug) and Boris (vintage eve dub) on carpet kits (both awesome companies and I use them a lot for my resto) but the Aussie 65 std came out with rubber mats.

I know they don't make them and it's seems people are keen to get them, but have people found a resolution to the fact that rubber mats do sweat against metal and that is a great cohesion for our vw nemesis RUST.

The Old Holden's used rubber mats and the old mans FJ used to have moisture under the rubber mats and you needed to keep on top of it (a lot of floors rusted out).

I like the idea of original but I don't want the moisture issue. I thought I would see what others thought.

Cheers

Clem

Nothing beats cruising in my Beetle
Member68BUS
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 19

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Berwildered

posted on May 30th, 2014 at 09:11 AM

Why not put down a thin layer of something similar to carpet or another type of fabric and then go the rubber. You could leave it 50mm short from the edges so you will never see it.

1966 Aussie 11 Window
Super Moderator65busser
Super Moderator

Rank Avatar

Threads: 224

Mood: dakked

posted on June 5th, 2014 at 10:53 AM

A coat of Ankor Wax on the floor pan will ensure it will never rust. It's transparent so the floor will look as original as the day you apply it. Will look a bit better actually.

http://busnbug.com/sb_clients/busnbug/bin/busnbug_ankor_wax.cfm?v=1F286837-E8...

Before
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/komboid/IMG_3106_zps96aedee4.jpg

After
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/komboid/IMG_3115_zps2e7960cd.jpg

Memberbeetle1969
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

posted on March 25th, 2018 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ACT65Deluxe
Ok. I have a standard 1965 beetle and I have been chatting with Brad (BusnBug) and Boris (vintage eve dub) on carpet kits (both awesome companies and I use them a lot for my resto) but the Aussie 65 std came out with rubber mats.

I know they don't make them and it's seems people are keen to get them, but have people found a resolution to the fact that rubber mats do sweat against metal and that is a great cohesion for our vw nemesis RUST.

The Old Holden's used rubber mats and the old mans FJ used to have moisture under the rubber mats and you needed to keep on top of it (a lot of floors rusted out).

I like the idea of original but I don't want the moisture issue. I thought I would see what others thought.

Cheers

Clem

I also have the rubber mats in my 1969 model , rear are like new , however front becoming brittle and need replacement.
Under the rubber is what looks like a bitumen sound deadening material so no direct contact of rubber on metal so should not be any sweating issues.

Go To Top