[ Total Views: 1440 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 108385 ]
Author: Subject:  Exhaust options
MemberEuro_67
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 75

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on February 14th, 2015 at 03:58 PM
Exhaust options

I have searched for Beetle exhaust discussions, and most of the threads are quite old.

Looking for a good exhaust for a 1916.
40 x 35.5
Engle 110
Comp is around 9.0
Dual 45 DRLAs

Based on past experience with my existing exhaust, Im after something that doesn't scrape, and allows easy access to adjust the valves.

I like the Vintage speed system, as I could run heaters and I have almost new flanged heater boxes. Stock looking appearance and tailpipes is also a nice feature.

I also like the look of the Stainless steel A1 sidewinder system, and the fact it has a merged collector. Photos suggest a V-Band flange for the muffler too.

Is the merge prior to the muffler flange, still the preference? As the A1 seems to have it over the Vintage Speed system in this regard, which just seems to exit into the muffler.

Both systems seem to have similar price points, so I guess my question is..... Does the A1 offer additional performance over the vintage speed, with the merged collector? Of course, at the expense of heater and stock appearance.

One last question... can you adjust the valves on the 1/2 side with the A1 muffler in place?

Thanks.
Membersander288
Custom Title Time!
"Bolt-on Master"

Threads: 183

Mood: This is my bug. There are many others like it, but this one is mine.

posted on February 14th, 2015 at 04:20 PM

some of your questions may be answered looking through these images

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=106458 

The vintage speed performs equally as well as a merged system but you have to have the equal length primaries version not the heater box version, that said the heater box version has the same muffler as the equal length one.
Some thing else to consider is tinware; some won't let you run everything depending on the version purchased.
The A1 is available with heater boxes too; valve adjustment depends on the muffler choice but as with any of the sidewinder style it is easier without it there; with a V-band clamp you avoid most of the hassle

another option is the CSP Super Competition; its 4-1, good ground clearance, you can adjust the valves with mufflers in place and it exits stock holes

I have ordered a VS Heater Box muffler for my beetle but it is only 1300 I would have liked a CSP Super Comp but cost of the system landed from Germany is pretty bad because of its size and little bit of extra weight
hope this has helped,

here is a link to a playlist of some of the systems
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTUTremafGDuCE3AYJ964Xe_Pzx47sQrf 

BMW R65 LS
1967 1300 Deluxe
Swing-axles FTW :!:

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x463/sander19671988/4201806984_a2d051587f_o.jpg
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on February 14th, 2015 at 05:42 PM

if you are running heater boxes run Vintage Speed - Simples (squeek)

Futue te ipsum!!!
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on February 14th, 2015 at 06:18 PM

Wayne

I have Vintage Speed with BIG J pipes in original heater boxes single outlet Kombi muffler on my 1916 custom made by u know who and me

runs yum and will keep cup cake warm in winter we can copy

MemberEuro_67
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 75

posted on February 14th, 2015 at 09:42 PM

Thanks all for the responses.

Dave, I don't know I need to go to the custom heater boxes just yet.
I have Flanged heater boxes with a few thousand miles on them and no corrosion whatsoever. My guess is they may be ceramic coated, as I would have expected any other type of finish to burn of within the first few heat cycles.

To be honest, both systems are receiving glowing reviews. I dismissed CSP due to price.

Sander,
Your collection of photos was a big help. Im definitely on the right path. I think the A1 tucks up a bit higher. The VS systems look stock, but I think the can looks a little odd the way it hangs below the apron and it ruins the aesthetics a bit.
Dave I will try an call in to VVDS take a look at your system.

Go To Top