Author: Subject:  1973 Type 3 Squareback
Memberpete wood
A.k.a.: figure itout
23 Windows of Awesome

Threads: 389

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: upgrades = jackstands

posted on June 1st, 2015 at 06:53 AM

Turbo. Leave the motor standard. Just add an oil cooler and some efi. Lots of usable torque. :yes:

"stoopid is stronger than axles"
http://drivingnotpolishing.blogspot.com.au/ 
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on June 1st, 2015 at 08:08 AM

^ :tu:

Check this fastback out:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=108806&page=1 

About 3/4 of the page down ::starhit:
MemberCheapChalee
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 2nd, 2015 at 01:31 PM

How is your compression pressure? Should be less than 10 psi difference per cylinder.

Chalee
Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: Excellent

posted on June 2nd, 2015 at 02:51 PM

Got it running perfectly now.. I think it may have been a bad earth causing the ignition issues.

Motor runs nicely but I think it's getting a little tired. Uses a little bit more oil than I'd like but nothing extreme yet.

6 Dubs in and counting..

1966 1300 Deluxe Beetle in polar white.
Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 2nd, 2015 at 07:11 PM

Unfortunately, anything aircooled is expensive to build these days. I had a pretty basic 1600 build recently and didn't get any change from $4k. Your other option is a type 4 out of a later kombi. However, rebuilding one is exy compared to rebuilding what you have, finding one in good nic is pretty difficult too. A Subaru ej22 or 25 is a nice easy way of getting up to speed with modern traffic while still being reversible later.

Actually, I've always wanted to put a late golf turbo diesel/fwd trans in a type 3 wagon. That would involve more surgery than a Subaru, but would be pretty cool.

Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 3rd, 2015 at 08:07 AM

I ponder the subi option occasionally but there's a fair bit of fabrication involved to get one in a type 3 under the engine lid and I just don't know that I can bring myself to cut the front up for a radiator.

I did a 1600 TP about 18 months to 2 years ago with full machining new pots and Pistons etc and doing absolutely everything myself I think I spent about $3400 on the engine which was ostensibly standard with some slightly better heads and a very mild cam.

I am looking into my options now..

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 5th, 2015 at 12:55 PM

I think a 1776cc rebuild with some decent heads with slightly larger ports, a mild cam, balanced bottom end set up with an enlarged sump and proper oil filter will suit my needs for modest power improvement, more torque and longevity and smooth running. Also thinking a rev limit of around 5000rpm to avoid breaking things.

I am thinking my AS41 block should be okay once align bored and machined, new barrels and Pistons obviously, bearings and sundry components.. I think my existing 1&3/8" extractor exhaust, rebuilt 32 PDSIT carbs and 009 distributor should suffice with re-jetting for this mild build?

Would anyone recommend any particular changes to encourage longevity? What about an external oil cooler? Should I have the case full flowed and such? I hear that is tricky with a type 3 because of the engine crossmember. I definitely want proper engine oil filtration and extended capacity to encourage long life.

My EMPI mufflers have already blown out at the seams from one backfire while it wasn't running right so I'm going to make a new exhaust from the collector backward with a single large muffler and single tailpipe exiting in the standard left location soon.

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 7th, 2015 at 08:12 PM

First up, I love air-cooled motors. There are lots of cool things about them and by and large they're pretty good for what they are. What they don't provide a lot is of bang for buck. My figures for my recent 1600 were pretty much the same as your's only I had a local engine guru build mine. Even he was horrified by the cost of machining.

You want torque. Right?

If I were you, I'd be building a turbo setup (for your 1600) or buying subaru motor. If you're building a new exhaust you're halfway to a turbo setup any. Been done lots of times. Factory EFI manifolds + jap turbo + water-air intercooler.

Price that.

But also, price a 2nd hand EJ22-25/adapter/sump/loom/radiator. I think you might find they'll be much the same and still cheaper than 1776. If you still want to oversize bores just build a 1916 and yes, put an oil cooler on it.

Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 50

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on June 7th, 2015 at 09:37 PM

If you already have a rebuilt nice running 1600 in Type 3 spec, with a cheap and cheerful 4-1, then you're probably at about 50HP or so (really rough guess).

Ask Rod Penrose to get in a set of AA thick wall 88s in for you when he returns from the US, a quick guesstimate based on his website prices would be $300 or so? 1679cc is 6% more, and better cooling not worse (they are 5mm thick). Take off your heads, flycut for the bigger 88/90.5 barrels, then add new stainless swirl valves (I have got some AA valves in the shed which actually look quite nice, otherwise SI is my favourite, CB will do) to new 3-angle seats, and the two alone is worth usually a whole 20% more flow, which is another 10% more HP, and I rekn $500 (ALL the power is in the heads). Add 1.4:1 rockers in a $200 kit to get the lift up to 0.400" so you can now use the extra flow, that's another 3%. No, you don't NEED HD springs, just keep the revs under 5000. Hhmmmm, now you're up to 60HP, which doesn't sound like much at all, but that will knock nearly 2 whole seconds off your 0-100kph time, make it zippy, and will have you jumping off the lights all day with wild abandon and shouts of "YEEHAH!!!!" (your experience may differ slightly.........:smilegrin: ). It's a very simple recipe that has been used for decades, and it works. No, it's not 60% or 100% like a turbo would give, but it's also piss-easy and you don't need to split the case, drill holes, all bolt-on at your leisure in whatever order you want (I'd pick the heads first..........).

Filtering? I'll get flamed for this for sure, but a bypass filter set-up comes off your oil pressure sender outlet (no machining at all) and will filter microns WAY down past any spin-on. It will not clean the oil before it gets to the bearings, no, but it will ensure cleaner oil than anything in the sump before any start up, and for a car that does long trips can prove just as effective at adding longevity. They run to about $200 for a kit, add at your leisure.

Cooling? Don't drive at 70mph everywhere when it's over 40*C, keep all your tin fit good, and run 15W40 or thinner oil.

Have fun. :tu:
Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 8th, 2015 at 02:43 PM

I dropped in to my local vee dub shop to discuss building a 1776cc motor with some modest improvements.

I already have a healthy 1600 DP with a reconditioned 009 and freshly rebuilt 32PDSIT carbs and linkage, merged collector 1&3/8" headers etc I will reuse. Clutch is also nearly brand new but I will probably replace it anyway to be sure, as are all the ancillaries.

Fly cutting the heads and the general machining isn't going to cost me more than $300, and parts like the larger cylinders, reground crank, cam, rods and bearings/seals/pushrod tubes etc will add up to around $1700-1800 so the 1776 is going to happen later on in the year.

Also planning on giving my heads a little bit of a clean up if they are in good condition or replacing them, adding a small cam like an engle W110 and lifters, large capacity sump and careful balance and assembly. Cleaning and repainting the tins and detailing the engine bay and adding more sound deadener will happen at the same time.

I can't wait.. In the meantime I'm wrapping my headers and have ordered an 18" long offset 2" glass pack red back muffler and enough mandrel bends to make an "over the top" system from my collector back with a single tip exiting from the standard location, I'll start making that next weekend.

6 Dubs in and counting..

Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

posted on June 8th, 2015 at 09:41 PM

:tu:
Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 9th, 2015 at 10:41 AM

:D

And my seat trim stuff has just shipped from the U.S.!

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberpete wood
23 Windows of Awesome

posted on June 9th, 2015 at 09:48 PM

Buy this and put it in!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153433439131350&set=gm.99681738...

Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 10th, 2015 at 07:10 PM

Sold on building my own 1776 now..

Changed the gear shift bushing today and added a short shift kit - I think that should be the first thing anybody does to their new aircooled find. It's much easier on a type 3 I found today .. The 67' was a nightmare!

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 16th, 2015 at 02:34 PM

Here's a picture of the type of exhaust I'm going to build. I found it on thesamba forum.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y443/Mingus85/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsaehqktty.jpg

It's an "over the top" style system with a 90 degree from the collector, into a smooth 180 into an oval muffler then a 90 degree into a single tip in the standard rear valance cut out.

So far my muffler has arrived and it looks fit for purpose, it's a redback megaflow 18" long by 8x4" with offset 2" in/out. Should be pretty quiet.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y443/Mingus85/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstki4v7lq.jpg

I have also ordered a 90 and a 180 in 2" mandrel bent mild steel, I will cannibalise the 90 degree into flared 2" tip from one of my leaky EMPI mufflers.

I have also wrapped my extractors in 2" black heat wrap because it looks bad ass, and I don't want my exhaust to continue ruining my heater pipes. Took 14 metres to wrap them to the collector.

6 Dubs in and counting..

Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

posted on June 16th, 2015 at 11:09 PM

Those chambered mufflers sound nice and deep too, lovely tone out the back.
Sounds like a good plan. Half the fun is in the building of it. :)
Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 17th, 2015 at 09:58 PM

Thanks man :)

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on June 27th, 2015 at 08:04 PM

Just waiting on an extra mandrel bend to get here and I can finally buzz the new exhaust together with my shiny new MIG welder.

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on June 28th, 2015 at 06:28 AM

:smilegrin:
Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 21st, 2015 at 02:39 PM

In a complete 180 degree turn .. My wife and I can't bear to part with the 67' beetle deluxe we bought the type 3 to replace and now I ride my bike everywhere we've decided to put the type 3 on the market ..

Any interested parties contact me via PM or email ben. salleo @ gmail . com (remove the gaps, I'm trying to stop the spam bots)

6 Dubs in and counting..

Memberlunar_c
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 4th, 2015 at 09:26 AM

Sold this one, just didn't bond with the type 3 like we did the beetle. Ended up holding onto the 67' .. But have now bought a 66' with nice paint and interior. Some mechanical work (and upgrades) to do, but very pleased.

6 Dubs in and counting..

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top