MemberSbug 71
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 32

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on May 23rd, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Baja Steering Damper

G'day Dubbers,
I've got the fuel tank out of the Baja at the moment giving me good access to front end. Thought I might replace the orig steering damper. Can I get an upgraded one? And where do I get it from? Any advice?
Cheers.
MemberSmiley
A.k.a.: Daniel Stephens
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 110

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Synchro'd

posted on May 23rd, 2015 at 12:13 PM

I've never had any issues with running a stock bug one on my Baja. That's with a big lift, CB spindles, stock steering box and tie rods and 225/75/16 front tyres.
I'm not sure if you can buy an uprated or 'sports' damper.
Are you having troubles with wobbles or hanging onto the steering wheel over bumps?
This is more often caused by incorrect scrub radius on a Baja because people put wheels on with a lot of offset and they stick out further ruining the scrub radius. Then when you hit a bump with a wheel it tends to get pushed back and steered outwards from the side that wheel is on, giving feedback into the steering. Whereas the wheel should push back and up into the suspension, not feed sideways into the steering.

That being said if you are asking whether you should change it just because of its age just inspect it first. Is it weeping at all? Or any signs of rust, pitting or scratchs on the chrome shaft? Pull it off and work it between your hands, does it offer good resistance or does it feel like it is doing nothing? You should be able to tell quite easily if it is buggered. I would also recommend inspecting the bush in the long tie rod for signs of hardness, cracking or crumbling and change it too if it is required.

Hope this helps mate, any more question just fire away!

Smiley :)

If you said I was a Volkswagen man, you'd be right.
MemberSbug 71
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on May 23rd, 2015 at 01:59 PM

Yeah, good stuff Smiley. To be honest, the only driving I've done in it is when I bought it in Oct last year and drove it home from Brizzie. It wasn't too bad to drive so I'll probably take your advice and remove and inspect it. This is my first off road dub so I'm trying to learn about suspension and work out what exactly has been done to this during the conversion process. Not sure if good or bad yet but I'm fixing as I go.
Thanks for the info, very helpful.
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on May 23rd, 2015 at 03:34 PM

No worries mate.

What is the vehicle? Link pin or Ball joint? Swinger or IRS?

If you have any more questions regarding offroad stuff I'm only too happy to help. I've learnt a lot in the last 8 years or so building and breaking Bajas. So I have a lot of info rattling around in my head that doesn't get put to use much on AVD cause the offroad sect is a little quiet on here.

So if you need to know anything else fire away.

MemberSbug 71
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on May 26th, 2015 at 05:15 PM

Yep, it's a 61 link pin and swinger. Don't know if I'm real keen on the swinger. The camber looks pretty excessive. Don't really know what to do about it.
MemberSmiley
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on June 10th, 2015 at 12:17 PM

With a swinger you can fit larger tyres and run the suspension lower so the camber isn't so crazy, and you still have good ground clearance.
My Baja was originally swinger with 30" tyres which I changed to 31"s when they wore out. I had the suspension set to stock ride height. Pretty good clearance and not as crazy in the handling/camber department. My car had no body lift and a 1300 engine, so you can fit them!

Option two is to fit reduction boxes to the rear. Same deal, you can run the suspension at stock height, large tyres and have a heap of ground clearance.

Option 3 is convert to IRS.

Go To Top