Author: Subject:  Engine upgrade T1 to T4 in Kombi
MemberKombi7
Learner Dubber

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 7th, 2015 at 12:46 PM
Engine upgrade T1 to T4 in Kombi

Hi there,

I'm sure this topic has been addressed many times just I cant find it. Anyway, during the restoration of our "good" kombi I accumulated bits and pieces including a wreck which I'm now looking at bringing to life (68 lowlight) which has no engine.

As fate would have it I have also accumulated spares for the later model (76) bay including two 2L engines and a 6 rib 2L box during the restoration process. my plan is to fit the T4 engine and gearbox I have already. I have no doubt that the T4 engine can be fitted in place of the T1 and I have the skill set to do it BUT...why reinvent the wheel.

My intension is to make the wreck into a ratty so not worried about originally as I have in the past but just build a mechanically strong sound bodied Kombi that shares as many spares with my "good" Kombi. Should anyone have advice on the pitfalls that one may encounter fitting the T4 I would be most appreciative.

Its been a couple of weeks now since I posted the question and as I haven't had any reply's I'm assuming anyone that has done the conversion may be a commercial workshop and not about to "divulge" the knowhow... which is fair enough.

So, I have launched into the conversion myself and so far measured up the engine/gearbox mounting arrangement in my 76 bay and drawn it up in AutoCAD. I will do the same with the engine/gearbox mounting in the old lowlight over the weekend.

Regards Owen
MemberKlaus
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 100

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Heavily modified

posted on September 22nd, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Repaired a rough conversion of a type 4 into lowlight . Mounting gearbox is no issue as you use lowlight mount on 2ltr box tinware needs to be modified and sides of engine bay trimmed also rear tin needs to be fabbed or modified , and of course rear crossmember either try and use lowlight style mounts or cut them off and solid mount bar to motor and use rubber mounts on the ends of crossmember ..the one I fixed had the orig bay rubber mounts but are too close together causing the motor to rock from side to side so I made a stabiliser mount to locate it better .

Go To Top