[ Total Views: 1371 | Total Replies: 2 | Thread Id: 109854 ]
Author: Subject:  Tim's '70 Fastback build
Membertime8theuniverse
Learner Dubber

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 24th, 2015 at 07:50 PM
Tim's '70 Fastback build

So I am starting my build thread for my Fastback here.

I ended up with the 1970 Type 3 Fastback because;
I was looking for a car to learn on the was older,
a manual gearbox,
rear wheel drive,
weighed less than 1100kg,
actually fit in my limited budget,
had new replacement parts being manufactured,
has performance upgrade options
and had a community spirit that means there are people around to ask for help.

I didn't know at the time I was going to end up with a Fastback but I was doing my regular check of the internet for something that ticked the boxes of wants. Ebay had my fastback on it and I managed to convince my girlfriend that we could drive 15minutes out of our way on a trip to Melbourne to go "just look at it".

The guy I brought if from has a few buses and a Squareback but was letting this one go to reduce numbers and let someone else have some fun. He had rescued it from someone on the Mornington Peninsular who had been stuffed around by several attempts to sell it on Ebay. It was a mostly complete car but not running. The rust looked minimal and like I could deal with it. The fuel lines had been perished for a long time so I have no idea what the engine is like but the oil is where it is meant to be.

There are no brakes either except the bricks keeping it rolling out of my carport.

I really didn't plan on ending up with a VW but my Fastback ticked all the right boxes I wanted and I am still optimistic that there will be regular updates for this thread (now that I have put my words on record).

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberdonovan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 37

posted on September 25th, 2015 at 05:59 AM

congrats on the purchase. looks like a solid base. what are the plans?
Membertime8theuniverse
Learner Dubber

Threads: 2

posted on September 26th, 2015 at 07:52 PM

I'm just cleaning everything out first and starting on some of the rusty areas.

I am still working on my plan. My Fastback will probably be a bit of a boy racer theme but with the intention of learning some customization skills along the way.

I will have to find some wheels I want and then work the brake upgrade following that.

I want to put in racing seats, harnesses and a telemetry dash unit in the cabin. I will probably put a fuel cell in to run all the new fuel lines in braided line.

But first thing is patching the rust. I haven't decided on paint colors yet but will probably vinyl wrap the car after the quarter panels, door and boot are in primer. I'll keep the original back interior theme and add some red highlights to it.

Go To Top