Memberjigga
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 95

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on March 16th, 2016 at 07:55 PM
Flywheel help

Hi all..

I purchased a long time ago a ej25 mated to a 091 kombi box. I'm having issues with the starter picking up the flywheel. The starter in using is the cranky one. I have checked, I do have the right starter for the 2L box. It appears that the started is around 10mm short of getting the fly wheel. Almost like the throw isn't long enough.

So I'm now thinking I must have the wrong fly wheel in there. What size fly wheel should I have? Is it just a standard 2L kombi flywheel or something different to suit a Subaru conversion?

Thank you.
Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 30

posted on March 16th, 2016 at 08:11 PM

Not too sure about the ej25 and kombi box but the flywheel wouldn't be a standard kombi one as that won't bolt onto the ej25. It should have come with a flywheel that has the ej25 bolt pattern to fit on the crank and the kombi ring gear to suit the starter motor. this is how John Sherman at Volks Conversion does them. I don't know much about the cranky starters so not sure if they are set up to run on the subi ring gear or the vw ring gear.

1971 karmann ghia Cabrio - Cruising :yes:
1963 beetle Sunroof - gathering dust :fakesniff:
1968 race beetle - twin turbo Subaru - stress relief :smilegrin:
1960 beetle - old school low & slow :smirk:
Memberroverv8bay
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 32

posted on May 13th, 2016 at 08:14 PM

the 2 litre starter is set back 12mm further from the front engine to gearbox face than any other bus or beetle boxes if the starters is missing by this much then it doesn't have enough throw to engage the ringgear. The 2liter starter has a longer pinion gear on it & futher back so the clutch on the pinion doesn't hit the pressure plate. On my baja I ran the biggest clutch out of 2 litre bay on a 1600 flywheel machined for it to bolt up. Then I had to have a spacer made up to space the stater away to the same distance as the 2 litre. If your using a standard beetle early kombi it won't engage. I originally used an auto stater then went to 1 of Johns units similar to cranky. Never had another problem.

this is standard starter suit all 12volt up 1800
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y406/roverv8kombi/images_zpsqgroqg4p.jpg

this is the 2 litre note the length of the pinion gear offset
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y406/roverv8kombi/imagesECO0MSSP_zpss0suhnzf.jpg

this similar to the auto it doesn't throw the clutch out so it clears the pressure plate
http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y406/roverv8kombi/597_zps4r1r9hxg.jpg.
I hope this may explain where the problem lies

Go To Top