Membergvangalen
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 23rd, 2016 at 12:35 PM
Wiper Blade issues

Hi ,
I drive a 67 Bug and have an issue with the wiper blades smearing rather than wiping away the rain. its almost impossible to see out of in the wet. I have Rain xed the window , replaced my wiper arms and blades from an Aussie supplier but was not that impressed with quality of blades. My first set had burry edges that were rougher than a hair comb! My second set ( the first set were replaced free) were no different , it just sits on the glass on the exposed burry edges so when you wipe it only wipes in the spots that are touching the window so 95 % is not wiping . Any ideas on other brands or options?
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on July 23rd, 2016 at 12:41 PM

its usually lack of pressure on the blade
Super ModeratorBizarre
Super Moderator
The artist formerly known as blue74l

Rank Avatar

Threads: 730

posted on July 23rd, 2016 at 12:48 PM

Rain X doesnt help if you use wipers as the wiper just wears away the spray
It is meant for no wipers and driving fast so it just "blows" the droplets away

Try and get some original arms so as the tension is right.

You will probably need to work on them at the blade join so as it is not "flopping" around

As for the blades I would suggest buying the best you can from VVDS

Here is an example of quality.............. but not cheap
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/9-Long-Wiper-Blade-Flat-Style-BOSCH-1958-64-T1-p...

Futue te ipsum!!!
Membergvangalen
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 7

posted on July 23rd, 2016 at 02:26 PM

Ok Thanks for the link, I will investigate, is there any way of tensioning the spring on the arm ? I have the set of arms that you just screw on the blade onto. They were $60.00 as set but are already rusting . I guess you get what you pay for ...
Memberoldskoolguy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on July 23rd, 2016 at 02:30 PM

I had the same problem with the wipers on our 69 Bug "approximately" touching the windscreen at speed, and if you wanted to clean a smudgy windscreen using the washer....well good luck!
It was worse if there was a side wind. I had good tension on the arms but wind pressure was making them lift.
As corny as they look I bought these wiper aids "black finned things...short", clipped them to the arms and they work.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Windscreen-Wiper-Aids-Short-those-Black-Finned-thi...

Combined it with new blades (Tridon ones from SuperCreap) that you cut to length using all of the original hardware, and Armourall washer fluid they now work really well. As Bizarre mentioned you can tighten things up as you are doing that.

P.S. If you fit these fins just be wary of clearance when the hood is opened. Mine just touch a tiny bit on the L/H wiper, but not enough to worry.

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on July 23rd, 2016 at 06:45 PM

Whitworths marine supplies have some adjustable length wiper arms and blades to suit,the blades have to be shortened for the beetle,the only problem is that the arms are straight but with a little ingenuity they can be reworked or the arm off the original fitting could be adapted.Check it out before before you tear into it though.

Go To Top