MemberVwinWilli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 22

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 16th, 2016 at 03:02 PM
Strange noise

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help with some ideas on what this noise in the video is. I have a 68 fastback with a 70s engine init. Haven't owned it for long so been getting it going as it's been sitting for a while etc. Replaced fuel system with a new pump etc and fired up well. However just today I ran it up and revved the engine then suddenly heard this noise it comes on at random times and can stop for a while but then come back again it's like something is grinding or being thrown around. I'm hoping it's a bearing of some sort but any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Joe

[img]http://sendvid.com/ehljyovp[/img]
MemberVwinWilli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 16th, 2016 at 03:08 PM

Sorry this link will work better
http://sendvid.com/ehljyovp 
Memberhpnotch
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 28

posted on September 16th, 2016 at 05:33 PM

It looks like the rubber bellows is missing from the fan housing - with the motor off reach into the air intake and see if there is anything floating around in the housing that is getting picked up and flung around by the fan.
Member1500S
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 73

posted on September 16th, 2016 at 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VwinWilli
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can help with some ideas on what this noise in the video is. I have a 68 fastback with a 70s engine init. Haven't owned it for long so been getting it going as it's been sitting for a while etc. Replaced fuel system with a new pump etc and fired up well. However just today I ran it up and revved the engine then suddenly heard this noise it comes on at random times and can stop for a while but then come back again it's like something is grinding or being thrown around. I'm hoping it's a bearing of some sort but any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Joe

[img]http://sendvid.com/ehljyovp[/img]

Could be one of the fan housing retaining screws which are located behind the fan has unscrewed from the case and is rattling around between the fan and housing. If it is you'll have to remove rear engine mounting, generator, belt housing, alloy fan, rear half of fan housing and fan to allow the screw to be removed and a replacement put in. Maybe the other one in there is loose as well!!

Easier with engine out as it's easier to lock the flywheel to undo the fan retaining bolt!!!
Memberyasdnil01
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 33

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Orange

posted on September 17th, 2016 at 05:00 PM

in my years of experience I'd say it's a air lock in the gudgeon pin of the bearings in the hamster wheel :dork:
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on September 17th, 2016 at 05:37 PM

Quote:

Could be one of the fan housing retaining screws which are located behind the fan has unscrewed from the case and is rattling around between the fan and housing

Yes that's it for sure I have had it happen 3 or 4 times makes scratching sound when the steel screw hits the alloy housing

Can be fix with engine in the car BUT easier to take engine out and do on the ground

MemberVwinWilli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on September 20th, 2016 at 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to tackle this problem with the engine in the car first over the next couple of days. I'll update my findings
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on September 20th, 2016 at 05:41 PM

you will have to make some minor tools to hold the fan while undoing the nut

MemberVwinWilli
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on November 9th, 2016 at 11:56 AM

Hello,

Just a follow up, removed fan and it's housing to discover behind the rear housing was a bolt that had loosened and was stuck in the old greese which was obviously being thrown around. Big relief. Thank you all for helping out :)

Go To Top