MemberMidday
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green

posted on February 18th, 2017 at 10:04 AM
Beetle Identification help

Hi guys
Just after some clarification on what I have here, obviously the previous owner says it's a 69 and it's been registered with the body number as the chassis number! The correct chassis number is 118844707. Does that make it a 68 or 69?

Thanks, Matt

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Error
Memberoldskoolguy
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Ticking over nicely.

posted on February 18th, 2017 at 11:22 AM

Hi Midday. Welcome aboard, according to a couple of lists I looked at quickly, that chassis was made in the first half of 1968. That's a nice looking Bug by the way, good luck with it! Rob.

"The best trophies are stone chips"
1969 1500 Beetle "Otis"
2008 Golf GTI
MemberMidday
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Green

posted on February 18th, 2017 at 12:58 PM

Hi Rob thanks for that. I searched all over for a half decent one and found this in my home town!
So my plates don't match the car? That's embarrassing lol
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on February 18th, 2017 at 02:29 PM

Only if you tell everyone..... :lol:

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
Memberwaltermitty
Custom Title Time!
Legend when my beer goggles are on

Threads: 268

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: Hungry for mor

posted on February 18th, 2017 at 04:03 PM

Going by the number plate its a 69 BUG ! 8)!

23 windows ...8 too many!
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on February 18th, 2017 at 07:46 PM

Its is a 68 where are you located some where in VIC

Return the number plates there not right

MemberPhil74Camper
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Head in the Clouds

Threads: 193

posted on February 20th, 2017 at 06:43 AM

The third digit is the model year - so '8' means it's a 1968 model.

It was assembled in Melbourne, from German panels and mechanicals shipped out in crates and mixed with Australian-made components. Our production year ran from February to February, not the previous August as per Wolfsburg. As for when it was actually made, look at the date stamp on the back of the speedo. The spare wheel will also have a date stamp (other wheels not original).

Australian Beetle sales were in decline in the late 1960s, so finished vehicles spent some time in distribution yards and dealership lots before being sold to customers. It's quite possible that your car might have been built in 1968, but not actually sold new at the dealership until 1969. No way of knowing unless you have the original owner's booklets and papers.
MemberAA003
A.k.a.: Phill
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 39

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on February 21st, 2017 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil74Camper
The third digit is the model year - so '8' means it's a 1968 model.

It was assembled in Melbourne, from German panels and mechanicals shipped out in crates and mixed with Australian-made components. Our production year ran from February to February, not the previous August as per Wolfsburg. As for when it was actually made, look at the date stamp on the back of the speedo. The spare wheel will also have a date stamp (other wheels not original).

Australian Beetle sales were in decline in the late 1960s, so finished vehicles spent some time in distribution yards and dealership lots before being sold to customers. It's quite possible that your car might have been built in 1968, but not actually sold new at the dealership until 1969. No way of knowing unless you have the original owner's booklets and papers.

I have a friend with a Sopru Kombi. VIN is '76. Compliance 1/76 and it had an 1800 motor. It is unknown whether the engine was the original.

I didn't believe it until I checked all of the numbers myself. Go figure?

I read it on samba, so it must be correct.

Sometimes Volkswagen dealers sell spare parts. Amazing isn't it!:lol:
MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on February 22nd, 2017 at 07:56 AM

Yes, 1976 was the last year of Aussie assembly - the factory had already been sold to Nissan, who were ramping up their own product. VWs would have been a very minor sideline then, and even something of an inconvenience for Nissan, especially having to get Golf assembly started at the same time, using up the last of the Beetle components for the '76 model and continuing with the Passat 1600 (the 1300 and 1500TS models were discontinued).

The Kombi chassis number would have been stamped on the body panels in Germany before being crated up for export, so '76 body panels could have been stamped in Hanover any time after August 1975. They must have then been shipped to Australia, put together prior to January 1976. Not to mention the time for Sopru to convert the van before 1/76 - either in Adelaide, Melbourne or probably Auburn. I would guess it was built before Xmas '75, when the factory shut down for the break, and consigned for sale in the new year when LNC came back from the holidays.

The engine might be original - perhaps some of the last 1975 stock of components to be used up at the Clayton plant. The 'new year' models normally weren't released here until February or March, which is when I would have expected the 2000cc models to first appear.
MemberAA003
Custom Title Time!

posted on February 22nd, 2017 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, 1976 was the last year of Aussie assembly - the factory had already been sold to Nissan, who were ramping up their own product. VWs would have been a very minor sideline then, and even something of an inconvenience for Nissan, especially having to get Golf assembly started at the same time, using up the last of the Beetle components for the '76 model and continuing with the Passat 1600 (the 1300 and 1500TS models were discontinued).

The Kombi chassis number would have been stamped on the body panels in Germany before being crated up for export, so '76 body panels could have been stamped in Hanover any time after August 1975. They must have then been shipped to Australia, put together prior to January 1976. Not to mention the time for Sopru to convert the van before 1/76 - either in Adelaide, Melbourne or probably Auburn. I would guess it was built before Xmas '75, when the factory shut down for the break, and consigned for sale in the new year when LNC came back from the holidays.

The engine might be original - perhaps some of the last 1975 stock of components to be used up at the Clayton plant. The 'new year' models normally weren't released here until February or March, which is when I would have expected the 2000cc models to first appear.

Too bad the original papers were not with the van.:(

MemberPhil74Camper
Head in the Clouds

posted on February 27th, 2017 at 09:09 AM

I reckon the Clayton factory would have been in a real mess in 1976 as Nissan was taking over and VWs were phased out. Who remembers the build quality of 1976 Golfs? (we've gone off topic)
MemberAA003
Custom Title Time!

posted on February 28th, 2017 at 06:13 AM

Quote:
I reckon the Clayton factory would have been in a real mess in 1976 as Nissan was taking over and VWs were phased out. Who remembers the build quality of 1976 Golfs? (we've gone off topic)

There were a lot of industrial disputes at the factory at that time.

Go To Top