Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Forum Rules
Effective 14/01/2014, the forum rules are here:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?tid=104671 

Poll: [WTB - QLD] Fastback - Auto (Sunshine Coast)
-- 0 (0%)

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1538 | Total Replies: 10 | Thread Id: 112350 ]
Author: Subject: [WTB - QLD] Fastback - Auto (Sunshine Coast)
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on April 18th, 2017 at 05:56 PM
[WTB - QLD] Fastback - Auto (Sunshine Coast)

Looking for my first Fastie .... so be kind. Send thru any vehicles you may have for sale. Needs to be registered - not looking for a 'basketcase' but a project I can drive now and improve (if need be) for years to come. Not in a hurry, so happy to wait for the right car.
Any suggestions / direction ... greatly appreciated.
Regards Corey (Ph 0428981571)
MemberAndy
Son of Jim - Creator of Good
Andy's Adventures

Threads: 181

Mood: Happy Man

posted on April 18th, 2017 at 10:08 PM

Definitely an auto, or would you consider a manual?
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 19th, 2017 at 01:57 PM

Hi Andy, My preference is an auto ..... but am 'open to the possibility' if the right vehicle was about. Happy to consider / be convinced!!! Regards Corey

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
MemberAndy
Andy's Adventures

posted on April 19th, 2017 at 04:37 PM

Can understand, all bar one of my type 3's were auto's and I loved them. Great to drive, nice in traffic and fine on the highway. Unfortunately time has moved on and need to make room for new projects. Have sold 4 auto's (all were projects anyway), just have the manual fasty left.
It's a '73 manual with 1600 dual carbs. It had very little rust when I got it (virtually none), spent a lot of time giving it a tidy up with the intension of getting it on the road, just never actually got it registered. A brief list of what's done so far:
Thorough clean/rust proof inside and out, top to bottom.
Re-built GB, re-built brakes, new bearings, all new hoses, brake lines etc, top end re-build on engine (re-conditioned heads, pistons, rings and bottom end were still in spec), re-built carbs, generator, starter motor and plenty more.
The only reason I didn't do a full re-build on the motor, plan was to get it on the road and build up another motor later.

Things changed, other projects came along and this one never made it to the road. Only down side is a couple of years have passed since most of the work was done, so would need a good checking over before taking for a road worthy.
All in all a sound car, will be a reliable daily runner but is no a show car. The previous owner did re-spray, not sure when but would have to be at least 20 years ago. Original colour was orange! Even though it has been sitting all that time, have re-bleed the brakes a couple of times, and start the motor occasionally.

Here's a pic
https://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/viewtopic.php?action=attachment&tid=1...

Best to give me a call if your interested 0457 760 455
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 20th, 2017 at 10:58 AM

Andy, I appreciate you taking the time to detail the manual fastie you have. I have had a think and whilst I like the look/opportunity .... I think I will see what comes up by way of an Auto. I am keen to purchase, but will wait for the right Auto opportunity to turn up .... given your previous ownership credentials I am thinking you understand. Again thanks for showing me ..... fingers crossed the right fastie comes my way (and you sell yours to a happy home). Regards Corey
MemberAndy
Andy's Adventures

posted on April 21st, 2017 at 12:32 AM

No problem, there seems to be a little more of a following of type 3's these days, so more people to help out with questions etc you may have. Also a better following over seas which helps for parts.
Auto's for some reason are shunned a little and not as popular. I never understood why. I have had a '69 and '71 auto fast backs and a '73 auto square, loved them all :)

Not sure of you back ground in VW's or if you are just starting out, there also seems to be a general preference on earlier models, so have a think about the look/style your after. '69 was the only early body shape with an auto, from '70 they had the later shape (squarer look, bigger indicators, bumpers etc).

Again I am a little different, not just preferring the auto, but also the later body shape. As they were all work horses, the later body had a little more room, particularly in the boot and high back seats etc. I prefer the last model ('73), for me they had a few niceties over the earlier models, better seats, vents in the dash etc.

Best of luck with your search :)

Oh, and if you don't have luck in your search, they are not hard to convert (manual to auto). I have not done it personally, but know of a few that have.
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 21st, 2017 at 03:50 PM

Thanks Andy. I am early in the search, but I to like the later 73' vintage.... same age as I as well!! Hadn't really contemplated the conversion scenario but will keep this in mind. Hopefully the right car comes along .... I am sure it will!! Cheers Corey
Memberadlbeetle66
A.k.a.: Denver
Custom Title Time!
Under the car.........again!

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: ICH BIN VW NUSS

posted on April 21st, 2017 at 05:17 PM

Not mine:
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryborough/cars-vans-utes/1972-volkswagen-ty...
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 21st, 2017 at 05:21 PM

Thanks Denver ... I had seen this one but probably toooo much of a project car for me .... appreciate the help. Regards Corey
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on April 30th, 2017 at 03:36 PM

I'm still on the hunt if anyone has any leads .... 73' auto fastie is what I am ideally chasing. Not sure of the chances but I am sure there is on out there for sale. Cheers
Membercozzasunshinecoast
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on August 12th, 2017 at 06:52 PM

Found a 69' and purchased her ... thanks to those that replied. Will post a picture in due course. Cheers Corey

Go To Top