Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1515 | Total Replies: 2 | Thread Id: 113611 ]
Author: Subject:  NB poor quality door trims.
Membernbturbo
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on July 31st, 2019 at 09:24 AM
NB poor quality door trims.

My 02 NB has had an issue with the arm rest cover coming loose and pulling away from what ever it was glued to.

Removed the LHS first.Very ordinary constuction. It's mostly held together with plastic tabs that are heated to melt things together.I tried to glue the grey cover back to the cardboard looking shit it was supposed to be attached to.I don't know what type of glue is used in Mexico-but it doesn't come off.Tried everything I had here.Eventually acetone,sand blast,acetone and i got rid of it.But the vynyl was a different story.Rubbish bin.

Tried some new material,but couldn't get it to follow the shape.Next plan.Got some fibreglass resin and put 2 coats on.Sanded and painted it body colour.Had to make some small ally strips to hold it because the plastic lugs were long gone.Used some 5mm stainless socket heads.Have had an issue for about 5 years with the alarm system.

Google told me it was the drivers door lock.Some micro switches and bad solder jounts.The VW Dealer quoted about $800 to fix it-new door lock.I pulled the lock out and stripped the electrical part.One switch was dirty,but couldn't get at the solder joints.Had a brainwave-wondered if there were after market switches available.

Well EBay came through.New switch identical to OG one $49.99 from China.It arrived in 5 days.Fitted and all faults gone.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Memberhulbyw
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 130

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: I'm OK, RU?

posted on July 31st, 2019 at 01:26 PM

Well done! Gotta love persistence and innovation to overcome original cheap design.
Cheers
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on July 31st, 2019 at 07:46 PM

Bless the Chinas

Go To Top