Author: Subject:  Mid north Coast Motors & Sunliner Caravans
Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: happy all the time

posted on November 18th, 2021 at 06:00 PM
Mid north Coast Motors & Sunliner Caravans

In the November/December NRMA Open Road magazine there is an article about the Sunliner caravans.

These vans were designed by Bert Tickner and the independent suspension by Norm Milligan they were manufactured in a factory at Forster. Bert was the agent for VW, Rover, Land Rover & Rambler vehicles and built the sunliner that could be towed by the VW beetle, he made over 800 of the Sunliners and production finished in 1969.

I started my apprenticeship with Mid North Coast Motors in the latter part of 1966 and one of my tasks as an apprentice mechanic was to clean & polish the fleet of rental Sunliner vans that he had available at the dealership.

During the weeks prior to Taree Show the service manager towed some of the vans to the showground with his 1957 beetle for the carnival people whilst the show was on, regardless of how bad the weather was the little beetle towed the vans in and out of the showground.

Both Bert Tickner and Owen Mathias were awesome people who gave me a great start in the motor trade.
Memberbeetleboyjeff
A.k.a.: Jeff Walsh
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 40

Mood: Drive bugs hard

posted on November 18th, 2021 at 07:49 PM

Great story. I haven't read my Open Road yet - even more keen now

From your ole' mate Jeff
Memberbushed
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 66

posted on November 19th, 2021 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by beetleboyjeff
Great story. I haven't read my Open Road yet - even more keen now

love yer werk too Les n Geoff, b.

want any vw bits old but like me, Made in Germany!!!
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on November 19th, 2021 at 08:12 AM

Les where was Mid North Coast Motors located

Membergrumble
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 53

Mood: happy all the time

posted on November 19th, 2021 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vw54
Les where was Mid North Coast Motors located

Hi Dave it was originally located on the corner of the Pacific Highway and Beeton Parade just north of Taree business area but with the flooding of the Manning River, Browns Creek backed up inundating the premises and Bert and Owen Mathias (Service Manager) drove in from Forster each day and the Purfleet straight flooded making it impossible to get to the business.
Bert Tickner built a new workshop and showroom between Purfleet and Taree in 1965, this was one of the biggest dealerships between Newcastle and the QLD border.
All aspects of the motor trade were done in shop apart from machining and crank grinding, there was a panelshop for repairs and rust repairs in the back section of the workshop, a designated Unit room for engine, transmission overhauls.
We sold and service VW, Rover, Land Rover, Rambler, Fiat and Citroen vehicles and in 1967 took on the Datsun franchise too in addition to selling Bob Brown surfboards. (Bert's son Robert loved surfing)
Unfortunately the building was bulldozed last year and a Mobil Service station has been built there.

Go To Top