Author: Subject: 1915 VW versus 2.5 V6 versus WRX motor
Memberjakriz
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 46

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: 2 headed

posted on September 11th, 2002 at 07:40 PM
pic

That is one of the coolest pics that I've ever seen.
Jak
MemberZenjoe
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on October 8th, 2002 at 11:25 AM

Im a little biased, but I would go with a mazda rotary. I got mine for $400 US from a wrecking yard and it puts out about 160hp with a weber 48IDA. It sounds really good and the competition will be blown away as you are blowin past them at 8500rpm! :cool:

MemberDoug Sweetman
Veteran Volks Folk
Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Threads: 58

Mood: sweeeeet :)

posted on October 8th, 2002 at 02:51 PM
Its all good if its in a VW body :)

I had a green 67 full bodied beetle, with 1600 single port for 3 years, then put 1800 type 4 in it, then crashed it and put a 57 baja body on it, with the type 4, then put the 1600 single port back in it (wa hey, 85kmh in a head wind MAXIMUM :) ), then sold it, then I had a 78 kombi with a 4.4L v8 in it, and now I have nearly finished my 73 1303 with 1835 and twin IDF's. I ENJOYED ALL OF THEM !!

My point is - vw motors are cool (anyone here ever driven an oval with 36 of the best hp ?) in all their forms. VW's with conversions are great fun (the kombi really used to turn some heads), an excellent way to get power cheapishly. Each to their own.
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

Threads: 79

Mood: (( }:-{D]

posted on October 8th, 2002 at 02:52 PM

hehe personally i dont like the sound of a rotary, but i like the sound of a Subie EJ20... nice. I would really like to be able to have a modern engine that doesn't overheat, drop valves require so much maintainence. its just that i would prefer having an antique flat 4 aircooled engine because i want to be able to say it has a vw engine in the back.

some people dont care whats pushing the car and thats fine for them :)

Jon
Memberhappycamper
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 2

Mood: sapped

thumbdown.gif posted on October 11th, 2002 at 08:20 AM
boring

The point i wan't to make is that if you think it is such a bad thing to put a non vw motor in any vw ,then you controdict yourself.My view is this,you cut the shit out of your vw to make it into a baja,you put non vw wheels an tyres on it ,maybe a fancy steering wheel,cd player.
As for end of discusion you would do all of us as well as wes a big favour if you just posted posative things not your biased opinion.
wes ,keep up the good work .
what a boring world it would be with out blokes like wes.
Membervdub2c
Officially Full-On Dubber
Magazine Dude

Threads: 31

Mood: Just Cruzin

posted on October 11th, 2002 at 04:36 PM
pricing

Heated topic ay...
Anyways, i've got a bug with a EA82 in it... it goes well and the turbo sounds like a treat when she flares up - then of course the wastegate kicks in and it sounds even better. The mods for the EA82 are minimal - cut a bit outta the fire wall and your set, it's not much wider that a bug's motor.
In regards to costs etc, an imported EA82 with computer, wires still attached etc will cost a little less than about $1200 which means if your budget was $2500, you could go for a bigger turbo :) Plus the standard VW gearbox - I use an L Bug Box - can hold the EA82 power a lot better i'd say. I get 96kw at the wheels and it's enough to lift the front... do you really need more? ;)
an EJ20T ($1600 approx.) is alot bigger - which means more mods and space needs to be cutted out of the engine bay - my advice, buy the smaller engine - put an intercooler and a bigger turbo and your VW will fly anyways, for half the price and less hassles.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on October 11th, 2002 at 04:50 PM

vdub2c, I would love to see some more info and possibly pics of your car. I wouldn't have thought you'd lift the front on street tyres. My baja and my old L bug would spin the wheels and didn't have the traction to lift the front.

PS: fill out your profile when you get a chance.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Membervdub2c
Officially Full-On Dubber
Magazine Dude

Threads: 31

Mood: Just Cruzin

posted on October 11th, 2002 at 05:07 PM
oh it lifted all right!

Hey Wes,
Yeah they didn't for a while, then i put 9 inch rear wheels on the thing (welded two guards together to get one fat one ;) ) i had ten inches for a while, but they stuck out too far and the RTA had a hissy fit. As long as it's not i the wet it lifts about a foot. only did it twice though, i'm over catious about the gearbox, i don't like dropping the clutch at all... plus when it lifts - i shit myself ;)
As for photos, my camera is rooted at the moment, but as soon as it's up i'll be sure to get photos on the site - I'm selling the bug if you're interested! ;)

Keep Cruzin'
Yianni :cool:
Membershiftyvw
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 44

posted on October 11th, 2002 at 10:24 PM

was your your bug red with big white wheels and used to get around in wollongong?
Memberjosak82
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

thumbdown.gif posted on October 12th, 2002 at 12:33 PM
Anger

Enough anger already
keep it friendly dudes.
keep it flat4
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top