MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 13

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Blind

posted on December 9th, 2003 at 11:25 PM
Type 1 vs Type 4 basic questions for a baja

Rightio, at the moment I have a 1600TP type one in my baja with the superbug gearbox. The gearing is crap with large tyres so I have two possible options available to me at the moment. Do I just get a 3-rib bus box and stick with the 1600TP(or spend a bit of money on it), or do I go for a 2L and a 6-rib?

Basically, I am just thinking about what will give me more power and advantages over the other seeing as it does a fair bit of beach work and gravel/track driving but also does a fair few k's on the road too. I just want to stick with VW engines as well. I don't have a huge budget (ie $1000-2000) but I have the skills and resources.

I will have to modify my axles for the bus CVs either way, I have the lift-kit in already with accomodation for the shifter hole. I am guessing that my main issues will be weight, sump depth and the upright conversion? I am talking stock here as well. THe 1600TP is by no means new and the type four will be what I can get reasonably. Do I spend the 1-2k on my 1600 and the 3-rib instead??? i am really in a dilemma, any advice will really help becasue something must be done within the next three-four months. How do I weigh the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance guys - I am sure the manxclub will give some advice to one of their distant members? :(

Righto
Jamie

http://www.manxclub.org/images/manxmembers/Forum/Jamie.gif

Dance like a blind person
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on December 10th, 2003 at 08:37 AM

If your on a real tight budget like it sounds like you are, buy a 2lt 6 rib kombi with rust. Then use the drive-train in your baja.

You could run the type 4 with the original kombi cooling set-up for a while if you want to. Just make a duct so the fan doesn't suck hot air off the exhaust.

The type 4 cooling set-up will look ugly, be a little heavy, and take away a bit of your departure angle, but it will work until you sort out an upright kit.

You can actually make your own upright kit if your handy with a welder and some other tools. Brad can show you how.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on December 11th, 2003 at 08:33 AM
Excellent Wes

Thanks wes, that was just the sort of thing I wanted to hear. The plan was to buy a bus that had a problem other than the motor or gearbox so that they themselves should still be OK.

I am fair with the welder and would sure like to find out how to do the upright conversion. It has been "coming soon" for a long time on the Offroadvw site.

So the extra power and gearign outweighs the weight etc? I suppose if they were meant to push a house up the road, they should be OK in my baja eh?!!
Thanks again
Jamie

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on December 11th, 2003 at 11:26 AM

the upright conversion story lost momentum when we decided that we're better off going jap motors than the type 4.

I see quite a few baja's with the 2lt gearbox and engine with kombi cooling jammed in the back. They seem to work fine. It's a good idea to modify the original kombi rear cross member to it attaches or welds to your engine cage. The extra rear mount will make things more stable.

You will need to make a new exhaust, or at least should make a new exhaust. The kombi heater boxes weigh a tonne!

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 6th, 2004 at 12:10 AM
More Q's....any help?

Hey Wes, because I am a long way from Perth, it is really hard to go and see any of the 2L Kombis for sale. But, in the meantime I would like to run 31s on the back. I have either a 3-or 5 rib farily well organised for free, just haven't seen it yet. My question is, if I modify the axles, cvs etc for the 3/5-rib, will the 6-rib fit in without further modification? What about gearbox mounting? I could buzz around with the 1600TP then for a while while I sorted out the Kombi stuff. Good or bad plan??

Thanks in advance mate
Rightio then, bye

Jamie

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 6th, 2004 at 08:34 AM

This might answer your questions.

I have always run 31 inch back tyres on my baja.

When I first had my Baja it was a early swingaxle with the low gearing. The gearing was good but a little tall for serious offroading and required the odd bit of riding the clutch. Fine for sand use though.

Then I went to a later swingaxle, and then a late IRS. Same gearing as before, taller than with the early swingaxle. Slight more clutch slip required, but excellent 4th gear ratio for cruising the highway.

Then I adapted the car to fit a 5-rib kombi. Great offroading gearing, but 4th was a little too low. a bit over 3,000 rpm on the highway, about 3300 at 110kph. If I was to do it again I would put the 3-rib 0.82 ratio 4th in the 5-rib box (to replace it's 0.89 ratio 4th). That would make it much better on the highway and a great all round box.

Then I went to the V6, and changed to the 6-rib cos I thought I would need the extra strength. The 6-rib bolted straight onto the brackets I had for the 5-rib, so no trouble there. I also went to an aftermarket 4th gear set with a 0.70:1 ratio 4th for cruising the highway with the V6's torque :D

MemberJamox
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

posted on February 6th, 2004 at 10:07 PM

Excellent Wes, thanks heaps for that. I will suss out the gearbox situation and decide on what to do.

Rightio then, seeya bye
Jamie

Go To Top