Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 3070 | Total Replies: 11 | Thread Id: 16843 ]
Author: Subject: There are no rules to a rat.
Memberkustomkool
A.k.a.: Damian Von
Custom Title Time!
BEING KOOL AINT CHEAP

Threads: 178

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: farked up...

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 10:41 AM
There are no rules to a rat.

There are no rules to making your car a ratlook.My car has no rust but its still a rat.It only has a 1641cc only a few little accessories but its still a rat.Why is it a rat then because I call it a rat so its a rat.
I personaly think this section rocks and its a reflection of our OZ scene on how its growing and becoming more open minded.
So if you looking for a look that is cheap and looks a little out there then its rat for you.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mear156/kustbann.jpg
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 187

Mood: addicted

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 12:48 PM

Is yours the squareback at day of?
I liked that one, liked it alot. Had a surfer van feel to it.

The closest things we've had to rats in this country were Aussie muscle cars running around in guide coat. I grew up around alot of chargers, XB coupes and the like done in this guise. Our old next door neighbour had one, then had an immaculate rod in his garage.
I have never seen any proof that we had old skool flat black sleds or hellbilly style rods in this country, up until recently built ones.

So yeah, there are no rules and this is a new thing to our country. So make it what ever the hell you like.

hrrm... Now, a psychobilly beetle rod. That would be interesting http://burns.thefinaldimension.org/contrib/ruinkai/evilgrinblack.gif
Memberhimmell
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 16

Mood: slightly unhinged

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 02:32 PM

Hey Damien

You should leave your car next to the Kensington station on a permanent basis, its nice to be greeted by that bug after a shit day at work

mirp mirp went the hair lipped dog
MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 04:12 PM

Cam what the hell have you been smoking?

A rat is a car that is put together from parts. it doesn't have to be matte black etc. A rat can still have a shit hot paint job! The whole idea of rats are that they are built from bits and pieces without going for a whole project.

Look thru the early rod shows in Australia up to present day you will see many many rat rods.

A muscle car in undercoat/primer is not a rat but an unfinished project. There is a difference.
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 04:19 PM

well what the hell is matte taken from then? The primer look.
I call it rat, because it looks ratty. I thought thats what it was about a rat "look"?
Most of our 50's and 60's rods were done for hillclimbing and the like, not at all like the US rat rods that you see in nostalgia books, mags, films, etc...
MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 04:26 PM

Obviously haven't been going to rod shows for the past 25 years....

Most of the coolest cars there are rats... a guy buys three cars to make a grand rod and uses the other two to build a rat. They have always been as popular as the big project rods.

Some of the best rats have been past exhibition cars... the power plant explodes. The owner or next owner doesn't want to spend a fortune building it new uses the prepped and fine body with cobbled together running gear maybe throw away the guards and hey what do tyou know.... a rat!
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 04:31 PM

But Volkswagens are'nt rods. And I have'nt been alive for 25 years.

The rats that the Yanks did, and really started the genre were all done in the late 40's early 50's after WW2. Read any history on rodding and you'll find the painful isolation and escape these vets found in their cars.

We never had that here. We did'nt even get production V8's until the late 60's. Our motoring history is inground in hillclimbing and circuit racing. With some biking after WW2
Memberkustomkool
A.k.a.: Damian Von
Custom Title Time!
BEING KOOL AINT CHEAP

Threads: 178

Mood: farked up...

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 05:26 PM

A rat vw will always be a little different from say a A-bone and im sure there have been vw running on guide coat before not to many slammed runnin the look that I think is the latest look in the scene.That wasnt my square that was aldos and I missed it but what I seen would have been the drooling material for me on the day.So its a new look I think and anyone can devolope a ride that they look at and say wow thats somethin .Chris notice i bumped it up a little.prob not.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e372/mear156/kustbann.jpg
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 05:29 PM

Yeah, fully. I saw something on a swedish webpage about VW's being the new hot rods. With how many there are around, the aftermarket Type1 performance equipment, etc, etc, etc....

I have pic's of beetles from the 60's in primer and lowered.

But as I said, it's a new thing. So lets try not get stuck in any ruts on how they should look and lets have fun with them.
Just keep them safe tho.
MemberVWFOOL
Bishop of Volkswagenism
King for a day, Fool for a lifetime.

Threads: 572

Mood: inspired yet?

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 06:35 PM

just curios as to how u would value a rat look dub. to most it would look like a piece of crap, whilst others would see the beauty in it.
if i was to build a rat, and one day sell it, do u think u would make any money?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
One man's junk...
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 07:20 PM

I would definately say the market is restricted. But doing up a car, you don't really plan to sell it and if you want to keep it in Aus' it's unfortunately a buyers market. As we see so often on this forum.
I'm sure there is value in them, depends on what the rest of the vehicle is like and not just the outside.
Super Administratorhelbus
A.k.a.: Pete S
Super Administrator
Mad fabricator, paint and body

Rank Avatar

Threads: 312

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: In the thinking chair

posted on December 19th, 2003 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam

But as I said, it's a new thing. So lets try not get stuck in any ruts on how they should look and lets have fun with them.
Just keep them safe tho.

I agree. we should just enjoy. If you get too hung up on what other people think, then you cant be enjoying your ride to the full extent.

I feel you would be enjoying the feeling of pleasing others more than just cruising.

But if that is your thing then so be it. I know I don't get haircuts to please other people and their opinions, so same with the cars.

Cruise/ ride on. :thumb :D

MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Helbus

But if that is your thing then so be it. I know I don't get haircuts to please other people

HAHA! Good call peter. I'd have to agree with that 100% :D
Memberbaybuscamperkid
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
prince of insufficient light, ruler of heck

Threads: 335

Mood: transported

posted on December 20th, 2003 at 01:09 PM

if u really want a comparison on the two opposite ends of the rat scale look at my two favourite bikes. no.1 is a myer speed extra-long-frame. original red metallic paint faded almost to white, covered in scratches, all chrome pitted and peeling, repro seat, 1980s style tyres (gumwalls), mismatched cranks, replaced rear hub internals and new cage pedals. looks like shite to anyone who doesnt know dragsters but is incredibly good to ride (short cruises and long rides, i do 3 - 4 hours a week on it:D). no.2 schwinn spitfire, stripped to back to bare then painted immaculate matt black with red gloss flames, period hubs (3spd rear, drum front) laced to new chrome rims, new period-look springer and handlebars, salvaged alloy gooseneck (thanks empi), old 27inch guards, white covered in rust and dints, original period lights painted matt black and new period whitewall tyres. both bikes come under the traditional definition of ratlook. if you ignore the glossy paintjob that my bus will eventually have then it is rat too. body filler, rough panels, home-made interior, all work done by hand, and parts off a dozen cars of different makes and models (datsun doorhandles, renault interior lights, holden ashtray, GM seatbelts, generic wheel trims, GM clock, subaru donk, you get the picture)

Reimagined/Recycled/Upcycled Cool

Go To Top