Author: Subject: paris dakar
Memberhelterskelter400
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 62

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey

posted on January 12th, 2004 at 11:16 PM
paris dakar

i've been avidly following the PD.

supporting andy caldecott untill he had to retire (mashed ankle), any mc other than KTM & of couse the vw toureg buggy team.

but...

the vw team is out of line honours finishing because the neither the driver or co driver of the leading car new how to deflood a motor. they simply yelled at the car for stopping after blindly xing a water section and then waited for assistance costing em 9 hours...

where's the vw self reliance ethos and where's the PD "us against the odds" ethos gone???

i rekon a few of us here would make ideal drivers/navs for the event.

before you can win, you first must finish
MemberRobo
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber

Threads: 120

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Oval madness

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 06:13 AM

Thats what happens when you use proffessional drivers, they don't prepare the cars themselves, if they did they would know how to get it going again, I would have thought factory teams participating in this type of endurance event would have given their drivers a crash course in emergency mechanical repairs, at least they would have been able to get their vehical going again.
Rob....

Boxer Power
Member of DMLRK.....Die Mittler Lebuns Resto Komeradschaft

http://home.iprimus.com.au/noh20/BYRONLOGO.gif
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 07:37 AM

Yeah, I saw that and was yelling 'pull the plugs' from behind my beer!

Was that the petrol or the v10 deisel one?

Either way that hydro lockup could have really bent the motor!

Two big road stages now due to bandit activity.

Mad Max (manx) anyone???
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robo
Thats what happens when you use proffessional drivers, they don't prepare the cars themselves, if they did they would know how to get it going again, I would have thought factory teams participating in this type of endurance event would have given their drivers a crash course in emergency mechanical repairs, at least they would have been able to get their vehical going again.
Rob....

From the VW competition site...

Quote:

Following successful set-up work and 4,300 test kilometres test in November in Morocco, the drivers and co-drivers built their own competition cars under the expert instruction of the engineers, technicians and mechanics of the Volkswagen works team in Wolfsburg. The background for this exercise: in order to be prepared for every eventuality of the 11,000 plus kilometre Dakar Rally, the drivers and navigators must be familiar with every detail of the Race-Touareg and, in the case of emergency, be able to repair any problems themselves...

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
Membermodulus
A.k.a.: Peter Hill
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 76

Theme: UltimaBB Pro White
Mood: modular

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by koolkarmakombi
Yeah, I saw that and was yelling 'pull the plugs' from behind my beer!

Was that the petrol or the v10 deisel one?

Neither; that's the 2.3 TDI engine. The competition "Touareg" is a hand-built race car, related to the production car by name only. There are no plugs to pull.

Peter Hill
1975 Type 2 Double Cab
modulus.com.au
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 08:57 AM

I believe they are using a 5 cyl diesel, half of the V10, or something weird.

I think their main problem wasn't that the motor was flooded, but it was hydrauliced and has bent the conrods and/or the bottom end. That is why they got towed and then had the entire motor replaced, which is still the subject of contraversy as they aren't allowed to change the block.

Cool race though, I follow it everynight. That's some seriously soft sand out there. I feel sorry for the bikes. Pity the 2WD yamaha seems to have died or is nowhere to be seen.

But don't those V6 nissan's sound sweet. Ah, the sound of a high revving naturally aspirated V6 :D

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberBugged Again
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 46

Mood: beetle-less

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 01:20 PM

the cars are diesels V5
also ari vatenen got stuck in the same spot for over 3 hours and he has won 5 times and been in it for years
most of those guys fix all their own problems.

They showed a 2 wheel buggy the other day driving in with the front wheel completely buggered and pointing in the wrong direction but he made it and was towing another car as well, mitsubishi i think.

The motorbike guys are absolute maniacs and i just love watching the trucks loping along.

About time someone showed us the race.
and why isn't a porsche chayanne in there

http://www.offroadvw.net/buggybrad/KurtSig.gif
MemberRobo

posted on January 13th, 2004 at 04:26 PM

Quote:

Following successful set-up work and 4,300 test kilometres test in November in Morocco, the drivers and co-drivers built their own competition cars under the expert instruction of the engineers, technicians and mechanics of the Volkswagen works team in Wolfsburg. The background for this exercise: in order to be prepared for every eventuality of the 11,000 plus kilometre Dakar Rally, the drivers and navigators must be familiar with every detail of the Race-Touareg and, in the case of emergency, be able to repair any problems themselves

Well if those drivers built their own machines, they obviously did not learn much!
Rob.....

Boxer Power

MemberThe_Bronze.
A.k.a.: Bronze
Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Mood: Enlightened.

posted on January 18th, 2004 at 01:53 AM

Yes - I have been enjoying the PD as well. The SBS coverage I was watching the other afternoon fairly sucked in its commentary. The footage was fairly awesome though.

The GPS aspect of the rally is an interest to me as is the vehicle set ups. I love the internal shots of the tubing, dashes and suspension set ups.

The bikes and trucks are cool to watch. Saw one of the trucks on its side the other day. Had a few head being scratched. Also saw a truck cut across in front of a car by get leaving the road and heading straight for the end of an apex. The car had to fully stop and let the truck go - as would I.

The bikers are mad. I couldn't believe the whole set up over and in front of the steering axis. No wonder they struggle in the sand.

Anyhow - It great getting the action here finally. They need a classic class and get some of the past Dakar cars competing. Would be a great comparison of how much has changed.

Bronze

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, NSW.
MemberRobo

posted on January 18th, 2004 at 06:11 PM

I agree
We always seem to be starved of this sort of coverage. I spose we have Pay TV to blame for that!
Rob....

Boxer Power

Go To Top