Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1815 | Total Replies: 12 | Thread Id: 17905 ]
Author: Subject: Semi-automatic boxes- What do you think?
MemberThe_Bronze.
A.k.a.: Bronze
Custom Title Time!
Minister of Volkswagenism

Threads: 238

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Enlightened.

rsvd_idea.gif posted on January 18th, 2004 at 02:30 AM
Semi-automatic boxes- What do you think?

Yes I know I have raised this before on the old forum a couple of years ago but since this section did so well on the scoop quiz proving there is a lot of talent walking it halls I was hoping to raise it again.

Please argue the pro's and con's of semi-automatic over manual as an Offroad tranny?

Examples:
:( Con - Hotter and no more roll start (Solution if any)
:) Pro - Better traction control (Debatable).

Also - suggested types / models, improvements, anecdotes, engine combinations, expert rebuild shops etc.

I was fortunate enough to go for a ride in MR930's semi-auto gold fleck manx and it was a real treat. Just like a go-kart - Stop and Go! that was it. I have no idea and didn't ask what it was like offroad on the slopes and soft stuff though.

The Bronze.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Rathmines, Lake Macquarie, NSW.
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

rsvd_idea.gif posted on January 18th, 2004 at 02:34 AM
Semi-automatic boxes- What do you think?

Yes I know I have raised this before on the old forum a couple of years ago but since this section did so well on the scoop quiz proving there is a lot of talent walking it halls I was hoping to raise it again.

Please argue the pro's and con's of semi-automatic over manual as an Offroad tranny?

Examples:
:( Con - Hotter and no more roll start (Solution if any)
:) Pro - Better traction control (Debatable).

Also - suggested types / models, improvements, anecdotes, engine combinations, expert rebuild shops etc.

http://www.kirtland.cc.mi.us/auto/trans.gif
[size=6]V[/size]
http://www.bugtrans.com/imageR5N.JPG

I was fortunate enough to go for a ride in MR930's semi-auto gold fleck manx and it was a real treat. Just like a go-kart - Stop and Go! that was it. I have no idea and didn't ask what it was like offroad on the slopes and soft stuff though.

The Bronze.

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Member56astro
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 74

Mood: Pobjoy Powered with twin ignition & soon to be EFI'd

posted on January 18th, 2004 at 07:57 PM

"7 replies" ????

Can only see 2

:alien

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~astro/images/maltese%20cross.JPG
VW car, VW engine ...... keepin it "real"
35MPG on 101.3kPa
MemberCraig Torrens
A.k.a.: Craig Torrens
Scirocco Rare
6 times Australian, 7 times State Hillclimb Class Champion

Threads: 347

Mood: Time to go Salt lake racing, and actually achieve a result.

posted on January 18th, 2004 at 08:14 PM

sorry Bronze that I'm not complying with your request :D just thinking out aloud...............how sensitive is the switch on the gear lever, would the rough roads etc trigger the disengaging mechanism ?
Is there lots of oil lines etc to consider re-routing?...............diff ratio with large tyres?

I have seen a type 3 auto box being used in a buggy, worked very well.

sorry not much help :( although I know new auto's are a pleasure to go offroading with.:D

Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

shocked.gif posted on January 18th, 2004 at 08:29 PM

they are great in a semi auto beetle.....

There wouldn't be any problems in the rough stuff unless Your leg accidently knocked the gearlever, and disengaged the clutch....

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberMR930
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 73

Mood: VW crazy.

posted on January 19th, 2004 at 05:47 AM

My Manx was using a type3 auto not a semiauto . It drove real good on and offroad . I think a semi auto would be good offroad too. There is a Manx in Grafton running one and he's real happy with it .
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 19th, 2004 at 08:15 AM

This is how much I know because I didn't know there was a straight auto available. Other wise I would have asked about that. I was actually considering a type 2 auto into a buggy project.

How was yours for 'over heat' and 'traction' Mark?

Bronze

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on January 19th, 2004 at 08:42 AM

The type 3 auto's can be fitted, but will require some fairly major mods to the frame horns, as the auto box is wide and won't fit between them. I think it is part of the reason why IRS type 3's got rid of the frame horns, to make way for an auto box.

type 2 autos have the same prob.

The real advantage of an auto / semi-auto / anything with a torque convertor, is that it has a torque convertor.

Torque convertors are not just nice auto clutches, they are actually torque multipliers. They effectively multiply the engine torque a number of times while the inital take-up is occuring. This is good offroad, and makes hill starts on slippery hills much easier than a car with a clutch.

I haven't had any experience with the VW auto's, but have had mates with auto and manual 4wds that I've driven and noticed the auto's were more capable.

I probably wouldn't go for a stick shift as I hear it is difficult to get it to work with anything bigger than the stock 1600.

I also know some of the serious offroad racing boy's use tricked up 2lt auto's in their race buggies. They install some very special plates in the sump part of the auto to change the internal shifting circuitry of the gearbox. This allows them to make the auto's a manually shifted sequential clutchless gearbox. I would love to use this set-up one day, but with the torquey V6 it probably isn't really needed.

As for temp, well I guess it all depends on what your doing. I would try it and see, if it gets hot fit an oil cooler to the auto. Shouldn't be too hard.

A guy with a red manx in the Manx Club is running a type 3 auto, and he thinks it's great in the sand and offroad.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberThe_Bronze.
Custom Title Time!

posted on January 19th, 2004 at 10:25 PM

Thanks Wes-

The physics of having a torque converter seems to add up for me. Having fluid application of power to the wheels can only be an advantage but at what expense? I have not had the opportunity to experience it or sit around the camp fire and ask it hence why the Forum is an excellent vehicle for such a discussion.

I recall now about the horns and the fitting is an issue.

My auto experience was 4 cyl underpowered Auto Hilux heading up Barrington Tops. Whined for 1/2 an hour before mashing the cam. 2nd was to low and 3rd to high. Eventually died 3/4 of the way up. Hasn't laft a good impression. I hope to change that.

Anyone else?

[size=4]Bronze.[/size]

Go To Top