Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: lexus V8 and renault gearbox
MemberSecoh
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 97

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Rarin' to

posted on February 17th, 2004 at 07:27 AM

a 5:1 diff is good for offroading, but it's the last thing I need in my racer project, a 3.8:1 is closer to what I want, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can.

Where are you getting these from?

If it aint broke,
Make it go faster!! http://loud-noises.com/Forumstuff/Dakdak.gif
Membervwtyp2
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 160

Mood: over it

posted on February 17th, 2004 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
The UN5 seems liek a better option. It take 300 honest HP and still goes strong. Has a 5.85 diff with a good set of 5 speed ratios and a 0.683 5th gear. LSD is also availible and a good option. As they come out of the Reno Master Commercial Van they have seen some heavy work already an dproven themselved quite strong.

AT 720 mm long with 220 of these being face to center of axle and 500 from centre of axle to nose cone and aside cable shifter there are a few small problems with the conversion. Namely an extra 200mm to cope with ..

But I have seen them fitted so it can be done. Cost wise I can get them all day long at $1650

I'm having drama with the kombi box in my bus.
I've got a holden 3.8 v6 same as Ron (wacked1) had. can the renault box be used here?
You say you can get them for $1650, I guess that is just for the box.
how much do you reckon it would cost to get fitted?
Or would I be better off rebuilding my Kombi box? it's already got Albins 3rd & 4th, just get Albins 1st & 2nd and a super diff?

Most people seem normal, till you get to know them.
Memberwacked1
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 302

Mood: naked

posted on February 17th, 2004 at 10:13 AM
Why the Kombi box is in some cases a better chioce

1st point. Cheaper, if you already have it
2nd point they can take a lot of crap, if done right. Speak to Albins see what they recommend, I’ve been in Indians 3.8L supercharged V6 and he gives this thing hell and it’s held up for 3 years he has approx 300 to 350 HP
3rd point you don’t have to pay to have it installed
4th point you don’t need to buy or manufacture a new adaptor
5th point you don’t need to get it engineered
6th point if you blow a Porsche or Renault box expect to pull the $$$$ out of your A$$

my point is if the 2l kombi box is built right in the first place with the intended use in mind the kombi box would be your best bet. I spent big dollars on the G50 sold it because it was going in a $ 500 kombi, used the money from that to purchase another kombi and a 915 which after talking to the right people will cost a small fortune to install, just do the homework and decide what’s best for your intended application.
Bill Croft of unicap engineering at landillo in Sydney’s west is a great guy to speak to he has a lot of time to give to people and has been in the off-road business for years. If you look at the off-road sites you can get something like this !!

Full race 2LT box PRICE: $2,600
2LT race box with super diff not assembled PRICE: $1800
3 x 2LT standard boxes PRICE: $600 each
Colin Jobe
Hervey Bay QLD
Ph: (07) 4124 0370
Mob: 0438 443 839
Email: lizzie_lea@hotmail.com

Or

1800 Kombi Gear Box
Close Ratio - all new Albins Gears
Super Diff
Porsche Flanges
1st gear 3:1
2nd gear 2.07:1
3rd gear 1.55:1
4th Gear 1.26:1
Crown wheel & pinion 7x34
Crack tested
$1,500.00 ono
Contact
Kevin Ottey
Phone 0417 484 327 Mobile
or 02 6238 1307 W
or 02 6297 9821 H

Cheers
wacked1

YOU HAVE JUST BEEN DAKED
don't worry it's a VW thing
MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on February 17th, 2004 at 12:49 PM
mmm

The UN5 and UN1 boxes look very much teh same. The UN1 has additional ribbing around the bell housing though.

The 200mm from mounting face to centre of flange is not extra it is the measuremnet. You can bolt a Kombi bellhousing onto an adapter plat which then bolts to the box. This is what Volks Engineering look like they are doing when the fit the 5 Speeds Reno boxes to the kombi.
I have done a lot of research into the UN5 as it was going to give me very good ratios in the Manx with 34" rear tyres. Then I stopped .....

Why ??

Well as Wacked1 said COST $$$$$ I worked out I could build a 091 ( 2L kombi) transmission for about the same cost and it was going to last longer and be easier to install and setup.

If it fails I will be going UN5 as the next option. 5 Speed would be nice but cost and simplicity is also an issue.

I have seen a lot of big ass engines bolted to 091 Boxes and they seem to hold up quite well. I am not talking race cars here I am talking street driven weekend warriors cars.

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on February 17th, 2004 at 01:06 PM

As I have stated in my other post, I am running the 091 kombi box.

A super diff is cheap for a kombi box. The later vanagon era gearboxes came with a 4-spider diff, a factory superdiff. So I bought a vanagon 4-spider diff for $200 and had it put in my 2lt kombi box. The only other thing I did was add an albins 0.70:1 ratio 4th so I can cruise on the highway.

I haven't broken it yet, but I don't dump the clutch at 8,000rpm either.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on February 17th, 2004 at 03:15 PM

ok so it all sounds alot of work but nothing impossible!!! what would a gearbox with all albins gears in it with the super diff set me back?
cheers
rhys

it aint just cool its aircool'd
MemberSecoh
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 97

Mood: Rarin' to

posted on March 1st, 2004 at 08:16 PM

I emailed Albins, he said for the 091 box the 1st and 2nd gear cluster was around $300 and 3rd and 4th was around $600 (depending on ratio)

then you have to assemble it (or pay someone to do so if you arent able) and possibly change the diff if it's worn or you want LSD, as well as all the usual bearings and gaskets etc.

I had a big think about my project, and decided it'll probably be towed everywhere so I can get away with no 5th if I use a tall 1st, a tall 4th and keep the ratios close inbetween. Also I don't have to make the bellhousing, or find a suitable clutch for the undersized race flywheel I'm, using.

It'd still be a good option for a kombi road car I recon, but it's appeal in the beetle is fading.

anyone want to swap my 359 box for a kombi 2.0L 6 rib? :)

If it aint broke,
Make it go faster!! http://loud-noises.com/Forumstuff/Dakdak.gif
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top