MemberAndy42
Insano Dub Head

No Avatar

Threads: 47

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: 2.5t Subi Powered

posted on February 18th, 2004 at 03:58 PM
Individually Constructed Vehicle

Does anyone have a guidline to what you have to go through in QLD to get a vehical through the individually constructed way.
Thanks
Andy

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Andy42]

MemberBrad
Wolfsburg Elder

No Avatar

Threads: 332

Mood: Manx Buggy Building

posted on February 18th, 2004 at 06:53 PM
mmm

yep it is called the Code or Practise

Brad
Why copy when you can own an original ?
Meyers Manx Australia
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on February 19th, 2004 at 08:47 AM

well actually the code of practice doesn't say very much about ICV's from what I can remember.

A good read on the subject relating to buggies is here;
http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/longwheelbasebuggygen.htm

I tried to find info on one of the transport sites but they don't post much about ICV's cos not enough people build them.

But basically an ICV has to comply with most of the current ADR's, obviously crash testing is exempt.

An ICV will need a quite late model motor with it's original ECU and emissions gear to automatically pass the smog and noise requirements for the ICV.

Alternatively you can get an older motor tested to see if it complies, but don't expect a motor with carbs to pass. Also getting the test done is currently very expensive and is only performed at maybe a few spots around australia.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
MemberSecoh
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 97

Mood: Rarin' to

posted on February 19th, 2004 at 09:48 AM

if you plan on making more than one then you are not exempt from crash testing and have to provide 5 or 10 complete finished examples for crashlab to destroy.

you have to comply with ALL current ADR's for ICV's from what I understand, including emissions testing.

If it aint broke,
Make it go faster!! http://loud-noises.com/Forumstuff/Dakdak.gif
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 19th, 2004 at 12:15 PM

I thought Bullet supercars were ICV's, they make more than 1 and I am fairly sure they haven't made any for crash testing.

And if you use an engine out of a late model car that complies to the latest emissions, and has all the original gear on it, then I am quite sure that it doesn't require emissions testing.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
MemberBJ
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 48

Mood: COOL

posted on February 19th, 2004 at 12:19 PM

Has any thought about building a street legal sand rail ( buggy) type thing? Would be great for this weather. America has some lets do it in aussie land
MemberMikeM
Custom Title Time!
Buggy Head

Threads: 71

Mood: :duh

posted on February 19th, 2004 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BJ
Has any thought about building a street legal sand rail ( buggy) type thing? Would be great for this weather. America has some lets do it in aussie land

Sounds like Dynos Car, it just happens to have a fiberglass body included for no extra cost. :thumb

Memberspeedster356
A.k.a.: Peter Mcleod
Custom Title Time!
Plastic not Classic Racing

Threads: 256

Mood: Producing boost again in NZ

posted on February 19th, 2004 at 02:58 PM

Get a copy of the latest addition ADR's, mine was about $20? I think and have a look thru them..............it is a wonder any vehicle makes it on the roads. Best idea is to talk with an engineering signatory that can do ICVs and see what he says. NSW is going thru some revisions at the moment...all for the worst I might add for ICV constructors. It really depends on how the code is read by ur signatory.
If a late model engine is used it will have to be from a domestic (Aust) delivered vehicle not an import so as to meet the current emission requirements here. If you used an import engine you might be able to have it emission tested to see if it meets the Aust requirements?
good luck and let us know how you go.
PS: I like the colour over here!:thumb

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by speedster356]

Spyder-WISD 07-09-05 11.6s @ 125 MPH

Speedster-WISD Nats 05 14.4s @ 89 MPH

Jet cruiser-Coogee 22-09-05 900 deg C @ 110,000 rpm

Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals....................Except the Weasel.
MemberDubCrazy
A.k.a.: steff
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: painting anything in front of me

posted on February 20th, 2004 at 06:30 AM

mm was only talking about this the other day with a fella from the street rod clan

i was asking him how to go about building a sand rail and he said that i would have to draw up plans with all dimensions,size of tube work(thickness etc) and all mounting points for steering,engine etc.

when you have the plans they will have to be sent off to brissy(this is for QLD) where they say yay or nay.. if you get the go ahead you will have to build it to the plans and then find an inspector to make sure its all as it should be so that you can get your blue plate.

one thing he told me was for the sand rail i was asking about was that it has to have body work windscreen and wipers. they get real shitty if you try and build one to open..

this all came from a bolke i work with that is a tester for the blue plates in the street rod world,now he did say a lot of the things they can do we cant (like his engine is hanging out th front with not cage just lots of chrome!!) but he is right up with the laws on building a car from nothing as most of the rods he does are done like this.....

i will have a word with him today and see if i can get phone numbers etc this is only any help to you if you are in QLD tho..;)

steff...........
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 20th, 2004 at 08:15 AM

yes the street rodders are a lucky bunch who essentially have their own set of rules.

We'd love to do something similar with offroad vw's one day, but we'd be real lucky if we got anywhere.

The engineer that approved my car and I deal with essentially wrote the vehicle mod rules. I've asked him about all this before, including Q's about ICV's and how hard it is. He says don't bother trying to build an ICV, it will end up too expensive. You need a fair bit of money to do that sort of thing, there is a fair bit of checking of plans and testing of the vehicle to do done $$$

MemberMikeM
Custom Title Time!
Buggy Head

Threads: 71

Mood: :duh

posted on February 20th, 2004 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Wes

The engineer that approved my car and I deal with essentially wrote the vehicle mod rules.

Do you use Richard from Loadsafe? If you don't who do you use?

Thanks
Mike

MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on February 20th, 2004 at 11:12 AM

yes, I use Richard. I try and keep in contact with him as he is one of the key people with any of the rule changes.

He has been involved with the push for Australian wide standardised vehicle mod rules for some time now. I was flicking through a draft copy of the new rules that he was working on a little while back. Some of the potential new rules would be very benefitical for the offroad vw's. Just gotta wait for all the states to agree.

MemberHotRodMatt
Wolfsburg Elder
If it's old or rare - cut it!

Threads: 361

posted on February 20th, 2004 at 11:18 AM

The Street and Hot Rodders just got national standards agreed to by all states. They are pretty wide and allow a lot of stuff. Only those things outside the guidelines will require a vehicle to be ICV.

No other scene in Australia has the numbers or cohesion to be able to pull this off with Canberra.
Memberno slow 63
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 16

Mood: Mentally ill

posted on February 20th, 2004 at 11:23 AM

Can A highly modified VW be classed as a street rod? Or do they have to be pre '48 or something?

Go To Top