Author: Subject: 1.9 TDI into T3 syncro
Membersyncro
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 27

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: spacey

posted on February 27th, 2004 at 09:47 AM
1.9 TDI into T3 syncro

As my water boxer is getting up to around 250,000 k's I'm looking into replacing it.
The 2.0l golf petrol engine was considered untill I compared tourqe curves and realised that it has less torqe in the lower rev range, than the WBX, where its most needed .
The TDI has almost 27% more tourqe below 4000 rpm, which is what the syncro needs, especialy with larger tyres, and would make going larger possible, 16" .
The problem is finding a 1.9 tdi motor for the right price, they were not imported into Aust. and are in high demand in Europe and Nth. America.
I've heard recently of someone importing a front cut from Japan, at a reasonable price!the engines were fitted in '94- '98 passats and jettas

Does any one know of other people importing late model VW parts /cars from Japan or have any contacts?

Steve

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/humanoid/snausmapcolor.jpg
Memberbusman
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 14

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2

posted on February 27th, 2004 at 10:18 AM

There are a handfull of engines available in Oz. The 1.9TDI was imported for a year or two. Harding in Brisbane had an engine for sale a while ago, he may still have it. Call him (Harding European that is).
I have fitted the1996 2.0 ltr Golf engine into a number of T3's including a Syncro with (aftermarket) 16" wheels. I can get the owner of the Syncro and you together to chat about the performance difference (and torque) between the WBX and the Golf engine. The chap is very happy with the performance of the petrol engine.

The 2ltr (ADY) has its full torque (166NM) at 3200 rpm and the AGG has 166NM at 2600.
It is turning the T3 into a much more drivable car. The Diesel of course is the ultimate for torque and low fuel consumption no doubt but also at a price.

In any case if you require parts to install a Diesel into your Syncro (as the factory did) I have a few kits avilable. Just contact me if interested.

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by busman]

Current VW's

T3 1989 Transporter with 2 liiter Golf MKIII engine
T3 1985 Transporter rare 3 seater with 2 liter Golf MKIII engine
Membervwrallycar
A.k.a.: Andrew Rankin
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 83

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on February 27th, 2004 at 07:43 PM

that would be an awesome T3 with the 1.9 TDI. have u considered turbo charging the 1.5 diesel from the mark 1 golf?
i have seen this done, but it was in a golf
Membersyncro
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 27

Mood: spacey

posted on March 3rd, 2004 at 09:11 PM

Hell yeah, the TDi would be awsome !!

But ( there is always a big butt.) on a limited budget the TDi is just a bit out of reach, at some where between $10 - $15,000 for a complete conversion, doing it properly.

So back to other alternatives, the 2.0l golf / Transporter 2.0l inline four or rebuild the WBX , I really kinda like the WBX even with all it's 'faults'.

Yes, I'd love to talk to another Syncro owner who's done the Golf swing thing.

Any opinions / experience of a rebuild on the WBX, using the 1mm larger pistons and a mild stroke on the crank eg. 76 mm or 80 mm or even 82 mm.

The object it create an engine of high tourqe at low rpm's!

Steve

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/humanoid/snausmapcolor.jpg
Memberhumpty
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 139

Mood: Totally boosted!

posted on March 5th, 2004 at 02:42 PM

Did ya do it? I have all the bits to stick a 1600 TDI golf engine in a T25/3 if anyone is interested....If not I might keep and see if I can mod them for some other engine.....

FUCH your early!

http://www.noh2o.org/ 

Go To Top