Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1337 | Total Replies: 11 | Thread Id: 20171 ]
Author: Subject: Statement of Requirements - Vehicle Modification.
Membervwtyp2
Son of Jim - Creator of Good

Threads: 160

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: over it

posted on March 10th, 2004 at 09:30 PM
Statement of Requirements - Vehicle Modification.

got the letter yesterday from transport s.a. for the engine conversion in my Kombi. here is what it reads. Chassis number and engine number have been left off this post intentionally.
hope this may help those thinking of similar conversions.
Remember, this is in S.A. so check rith your local Authorities. :)
------------------------------------------------------

This Statement of Requirements which expires on XX XX XXXX, relates only to the vehicle described hereon and is not to be taken as a precedent.

Make & model/series: Volkswagen Kombi
Type: Van Date of Manufacture: 1973
Chassis Number xxxx Engine number: xxxx

Based upon the data supplied by you the modification(s) proposed to be carried out to the above vehicle, namely;
1. The fitting of a 3.8 litre Holden V6 unmodified naturally aspirated "unleaded" engine.
will be acceptable to this office subject to the following conditions:
1. INSPECTION
That upon completion of the work, tou are required to present the vehicle for inspection. Prior to making the booking for inspection, if this "Statement of Requirements" stipulates that an Engineering report is to be presented by a Chartered Professional Engineer, or Engineering Consultant, please confirm with the Engineer or Consultant that there is no further testing of the vehicle required and that Transport S.A. has received all engineering reports.

Inspections may be arranged by contacting the Vehicle Inspection Station.

A new application for approval to modify must be submitted if the modification(s) is/are not completed and the vehicle inspected before the expiry date on this form.
2. Work is carried out exactly as specified to accepted automotive engineering and trade practices.
3. The vehicle meets all other appropriate requirements of the road traffic act regulations
4. That the exhaust system emits mot more than 2.5% Carbon monoxide and 250 parts per million of hydrocarbons at engine idle speed.
5. That all emission control devives are fitted and operational.
6. That the engine fitted is not modified to increase horsepower and/or torque beyond that of a standard 3.8 litre Holden V6 engine.
7. That the vehicle is fitted with a catalytic converter, a fuel tank inlet filler that does not have an internal diameter of more than 23.6mm, which is fitted with a spring loaded flap that closes the inlet tract when the filler is removed and the associated unleaded fuel labels.
8.that the engine is fitted with the original manufacturers injection system, injectors, and engine management system. note At the time of inspection the engine management system control unit must be accessible for inspection.
9. That the noise emitted from the exhaust is in accordance with Road Traffic (Vehicle Standards) rules 1999, division 3 - noise emission.
10. That at least 5 working days prior to the inspection of the vehicle a engineering submission prepared by a Chartered Professional Engineer is submitted addressing all items of the modification, including:
> results of testing in accordance with Engineering instruction Number 3 - Lane Change Test Procedures.
>Results of testing in accordance with Engineering instruction Number 4 - Brake System Test Procedures.
>Results of testing in accordance with Engineering instruction number 8 - Torsional Rigidity and Beaming Stifness Test Procedures.
This statement of requirements must be presented to the inspecting officer at the time of inspection.

------------------------------------------------------

Hope this can be of help:)

Most people seem normal, till you get to know them.
Membertype2nut
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 39

Mood: sandy

posted on March 10th, 2004 at 09:46 PM

vwtyp2 this does help - thanks :thumb
Please keep us informed when you get more info on exactly what is required with the 3 engineers tests.
Also, how long did it take to get a reply from them???

Cheers,
Andy.
Membervwtyp2

posted on March 10th, 2004 at 09:50 PM

to get this piece pf paper has taken about 8 weeks.
My friend with the ej20t in his '70 doublecab got through the tests no worries with standard brakes and standard suspension on retreads!

Super Moderatorkombi_kid
Super Moderator
Good Kid too many projects

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 341

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 06:55 AM

i have been told by a few people when researching the brakes area that standard are fine and the rear drums work better then discs anyway (and you can still use your handbrake!!)
cheers
rhys
p.s. pass this info onto PMGBUS i think hes trying to get this bit of paper aswell!

it aint just cool its aircool'd
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

Threads: 94

Mood: Content

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombi_kid
... the rear drums work better then discs anyway (and you can still use your handbrake!!)

I wouldn't go that far. And you can certainly still use a handbrake with disc brakes.

Disc's offer better fade resistance, which is a good thing when the vehicle can accelerate quicker than standard. It's true you could get away with drums and pass the necessary tests, but the extra fade resistance of the discs is certainly a good thing with a high powered car.

vwtyp2, that's some good info for the SA guys. I find it interesting that they go as far as stating they want to see your running the original ECU.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
www.taylorcycles.com.au - My DH MTB racing brothers shop.
Membernbturbo
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 10:53 AM

Yes that does seem like an odd request.You would think their only interest would be the emission test.Would like to know why that is included.
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 01:00 PM

I've always told people that when doing an engine conversion you must run the original ECU. Using an aftermarket ECU on an EFI engine is illegal because it is a modification of the emmissions control system, which you aren't allowed to modify.

If you do modify it, then you must get an extensive emmissions test done where they drive the car under different conditions on a special dyno and monitor the emmissions the whole time. As you can imagine this is very expensive and no-one really does it.

The emmissions test that they talk about in the paper quoted is the very basic one that they do as a rough check that the emmissions system is in order and the motor isn't completely stuffed. Like they sometimes do on the roadside.

Wes - www.offroadvw.net - 200HP Quad Cam V6 in a VW Baja - with climate control... :)
Membernbturbo
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 03:22 PM

I understand.What if you are converting a non injected motor to be EFI and you want it to be legal,what criteria would they use.I am injecting my Type 4 motor in my Oval and all parts are from several different manufacturers.I will probably not have it inspected once running.
Membertype2nut
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 39

Mood: sandy

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 05:07 PM

hey nbturbo...
nice to see someone else on the list living on EP :thumb
Andy
Membervwtyp2

posted on March 11th, 2004 at 07:24 PM

oh, there'll be the manufacturers ECU for the roadworthy, hell, it'll even have a standard exhaust with catalytic converters. and it may even be near to std ride height. :D

Membernbturbo
Veteran Volks Folk

posted on March 12th, 2004 at 10:43 AM

Why would you live any where else.Dan,where are you at with the roadworthy.It's been dragging on for a while now.Should have got Peter to sort it out first????
Membervwtyp2

posted on March 13th, 2004 at 08:31 AM

It'll be delayed a little bit now. the gear box crapped out.
The pinion nut came undone, and it was jumping out of 2nd.
I'm getting a box built by a guy who does a lot of offroad race boxes.
putting in an Albins diff too.
I bought the car on the condition that it would have a rwc.
Peter's got it now, doing the fiddly bits ie horn, wiper washers etc.
as soon as the gbox is back in, it can go for lane change and brake testing.
should hopefully be fully legal berore Easter. yay! :bounce

Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on March 13th, 2004 at 12:15 PM

Its odd that they still want the restricted fuel filler. You cannot buy leaded anymore. The safetycrats had to cancel a heap of motorcycle defect notices for having no 'unleaded only' sticker on the tank when someone finally challenged the ruling as unleaded is the only fuel you can buy.

kkk
MemberBaja Wes
Bishop of Volkswagenism
V6 Baja Pioneer

posted on March 14th, 2004 at 05:06 PM

I said this to my engineer (that you can't buy unleaded), and he said it was there for two reasons. 1 - to ensure you don't use leaded which would wreck the cat.

2 - the unleaded restricted fillers also have a special flap, which helps prevent explosion if the fuel vapors are ignited when filling at the servo. something like that anyway.

Go To Top