Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 863 | Total Replies: 1 | Thread Id: 23713 ]
Author: Subject: short wheelbase are there advatages???
Memberdak dak ute
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 15

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: want my ute!!!!

posted on May 31st, 2004 at 08:33 PM
short wheelbase are there advatages???

hey, i was wondering if there is any advantage with a buggies short wheel base, or is it just there weight???
how do you go about getting a shortened vehicle regod in qld??? is it considerd a indiviually built vehicle
Memberfetid_swamp
Seriously Crusin Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Mood: freaky brother

posted on May 31st, 2004 at 08:55 PM

well yes, there's weight and ramp over angle (less prone to belly out). but in reality if you are building one you could prob build a lwb with a bit extra clearnce & power to make up for it compared to a "stock" swb...

lic is a mystery
Memberdak dak ute
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 15

Mood: want my ute!!!!

posted on May 31st, 2004 at 09:36 PM

i, curioes as i have thought of shortening my ute with a manx pan, but unsure how it would affect rego, no body on back, just trayback with cage
Memberlast celtic warrior
A.k.a.: Steve Barnes
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 33

Mood: Fruity as a nut cake...

posted on June 4th, 2004 at 11:00 AM

There's more than just a minor drop in weight and the ramp over angle change when you shorten the wheelbase. What you're doing "effectively" is reducing turning radius, increasing suspension operating angles, changing the track/wheelbase ratio (dramatically altering handling), lowering the torque stress on the chassis, increasing wheel sizes, and basically allowing it to fit where a long wheelbase VW just can't...

Now all this is relative. It's not actual, but effective modifications when you shorten the wheelbase. The weight drop and ramp over angles are the only things you are changing that can be measured independantly of the rest of the vehicle.

For anyone who doesn't believe all the other things change in relation to the new wheelbase length, try driving a standard wheelbase buggy and then a short wheelbase buggy over the same terrain in the same manner. You'd be surprised at the diference. If it was just clearance and weight you were gaining with all that work, nobody would bother and they'd just fit larger tyres to alloy rims instead (but then, that changes more than you'd realise too).

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5273/a65b4ed4b957e1e4477dc7cys3.gif

Go To Top