MemberDoug Sweetman
Veteran Volks Folk
Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Threads: 58

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: sweeeeet :)

posted on June 23rd, 2004 at 10:05 AM
Is it true... headlight question

People, is it true that mark 1 golf headlights will fit L bug / late bug guards ?

Also, are the Mark 1 golf headlights a removable globe setup ? (ie standard H4 size)

If its not true (boo hoo), does anyone have any smart ideas how I can get some decent lights into my 73 Lbug ? I hate 30 year old sealed beam units.......
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 23rd, 2004 at 10:27 AM

I have always added H4 Hella semi sealed beams with Quartz Halogen bulbs to My [not Super] Beetles... so nothing is impossible... I have heard people use Golf Headlamps so I expect them to bolt straight in... I have a set of L Beetle headlamps as spares for My 1968 Beetle..
You can get any 7 inch headlamp to fit into a 12 volt Beetle...
it just takes a bit of modification ...
Now onto Bulbs... the BEST Headlamp Bulb You can buy, that doesn't use any MORE Power.. is the NARVA PLUS 50 H4 H/L bulbs.. 50% more brighter on Low beam and 20% MORE brighter on High Beam.. [I believe that its more than 20% on High Beam] due to different materials and gas used in these bulbs. about $30 a Pair at Auto One etc...

Does Your 1303S 'L' Beetle have sealed beam headlamps???
You can replace them with Hella Quartz Halogen sealed beam headlamps.. or just replace with the golf units which would have a bulb, unless they are US Spec headlamps..
and add the Narva plus 50 Bulbs , I can guarantee the brightest headlamps...

Lee -

[Edited on 23-6-2004 by 68AutoBug]

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberBiX
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 154

posted on June 23rd, 2004 at 12:55 PM

Yep i run mk1 headlights with a std h4 globe in my L bug. There should be 2 tabs bent back at the top of the headlight bucket, bend these down (i heated them first with a butane torch, so they didn't snap) and then just bolt in the new headlight. Then you have to either strip the chrome ring of the adjustinmg screws or buy new rings ( i think I have seen bay kombi rings that is tunred 90 degrees will fit and they don't have the holes for the adjusting screws in them)

it does mean you have to remove 3 screws t get to ur bulb, but they are brigheter and alot better tahn the old style ones. You can even run thoe blue bulbs the ricer's like!!! if ur into that kinky stuff;)

I have no sympathy for my car, only the wallet that pays for it!
Go hard or go home!!!!
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on June 23rd, 2004 at 06:15 PM

The 76 Beetle had plastic chrome rims with only the one bottom hole.. I think the 1303S had those too... or at least the late ones did.. I have some of those too... You can cut off those adjusting screws at the back so You don't have extra holes.. I actually use those adjusting screws to mount the H4 Hella Headlamps.. I use early Ford headlamp buckets to clamp the headlamp itself...
I might use those little tabe next time.. they are there...
those blue bulbs are OK for city use and look great but no good for the country... not bright enough..

Lee --

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
MemberDoug Sweetman
Veteran Volks Folk
Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Threads: 58

Mood: sweeeeet :)

posted on June 23rd, 2004 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for the advice guys - although I am pretty sure I have only the two tabs to screw the headlights into - one at the top and one at the bottom (and that one was rusted off on both !! I had to make new ones and weld them in ! (only noticed after I painted the guards, so that was a tense little welding session !).

I'll have to chase a cheap set down and do the mod - I think with the new Narva bulds that Lee mentioned...... cant wait now !!

Go To Top