Member71superbug
Custom Title Time!
The Itch Itcher

No Avatar

Threads: 72

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Subified

posted on July 16th, 2004 at 07:04 PM

umm. ok. my car has had no oil change for at least 20,000km's. lets just say it was my bros car and he is not mechanically minded.

and also. are the 1600's able to run premium or even unleaded?
MemberAnthiron
A.k.a.: Nicko McKay
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
The Baja Rejuvenation Begins

Threads: 310

Mood: Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for sega.

posted on July 16th, 2004 at 07:11 PM

i run standard unleaded with flash lube or lead replacement fuel with no additive. i actually dont know what oil is in there ATM becuase the last oil change wasnt done by me however i will do an oil change before valla which will be GTX2.

62/60 model bug eye baja bug, (Full Build in Progress)
1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
1979 Yamaha RX125 Two Stroke tracker project.
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster XL Custom
Member71superbug
Custom Title Time!
The Itch Itcher

No Avatar

Threads: 72

Mood: Subified

posted on July 16th, 2004 at 08:00 PM

so if u run unleaded you should run this flash lube stuff?
MemberAnthiron
A.k.a.: Nicko McKay
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
The Baja Rejuvenation Begins

Threads: 310

Mood: Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for sega.

posted on July 16th, 2004 at 08:05 PM

flash lube is just one brand of valve lube.......it replaces the extra lubricants that are in lead replacement petrol so u can run unleaded through your engine......i dont know if it helps alot but i use it.

62/60 model bug eye baja bug, (Full Build in Progress)
1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
1979 Yamaha RX125 Two Stroke tracker project.
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster XL Custom
MemberAdam_C
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 164

Mood: could be lower

posted on July 18th, 2004 at 05:29 PM

havent read all the posts but we need to know, VW"S HAVE HARDENED VALVE SEATS< THEY DO NOT NEED THE LUBE >>>> DO THE READING IN PREV POSTS AND DONT WASTE UR HARD EARNED CASH

anyhoo.... post on hehe

Adam
Adzslick@iprimus.com.au
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on July 19th, 2004 at 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam_C
havent read all the posts but we need to know, VW"S HAVE HARDENED VALVE SEATS< THEY DO NOT NEED THE LUBE >>>> DO THE READING IN PREV POSTS AND DONT WASTE UR HARD EARNED CASH

anyhoo.... post on hehe

not all vw have hardened valve seats only the ones that have ether new performance heads or heads that have been converted to unleaded. cause the original style valve guides were softer due to the lubricating effects of lead in the fuel. with the new fuels lead has been replaced by ethyl benzine which does not lube valve seat and shafts

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
MemberAdrianH
Officially Full-On Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 20

Mood: rebuilding again

posted on July 22nd, 2004 at 02:16 PM

I run a 96 octane gas with no additive and 32 degrees total advance with 9:1 compression. Never had any pinging. I have never run any additive in any VW engine, and never had a valve recession problem.

As for oil - my understanding is all the additives that modify an oil to make it multigrade break down pretty quick, so you may as well buy a standard 30 weight oil and call it quits. Put the money into something else - like beer.
Membertassupervee
A.k.a.: Knob Jockey
Custom Title Time!
That really hurts doesnt it!

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Moody!

posted on July 22nd, 2004 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH
As for oil - my understanding is all the additives that modify an oil to make it multigrade break down pretty quick, so you may as well buy a standard 30 weight oil and call it quits. Put the money into something else - like beer.

W T F?????????
Go figure..............

Im not a complete idiot, quite a few parts are missing....
MemberAdrianH

No Avatar

posted on July 22nd, 2004 at 08:01 PM

heres a link with a few links off it !!!

http://www.oceanstreetvideo.com/vwtech/oil.htm 

Might be all bullshit - make up your own mind I guess...
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 23rd, 2004 at 08:27 PM

M8
Youll find that many of those dudes are just dazzling themselves in science.
VW's are just not rocket science. With such low specific power outputs and low rpm's the damned things will happily run on about anything that feels oily.
There is so much verbal diahorrea regarding oils for VW's as to what one particular dude reckons is better than an other and some almost preposterous claims made by some dudes as to what may or may not happen if you run some fancy jungle juice or other. I find it laughable when some oil is the next great thing and "my engine runs smoother, starts easier, gets better fuel economy and bloodywell detonates a whole lot less than before"........bah!
These claims are often based on recollections and anecdotes from their mates who"had a ""mate"" that knew some bloke that ran some fancy multi-vis, ipso-facto, chechomahoota minus 10w-330 oil in his engine and the engine simply disintegrated in a puff of logic".
Usually heresay and the bulk of the failures attributed to lubrication (or lack of it) may well be traced to a big end cap bolt failure or some other far less sinister metalurgical failure.
gawd, i remember when I bought my first bevel-drive Ducati Vee-twin.
All the nay-sayer came out of the woodwork with the tiresome and repetitive accounts of one of these mysterious "mates" who "had a mate" who spent more time pushing his Ducati than riding it due to, big end failures every six months or electrical gremlins in the old italian electrics...........................
When quizzed more closely, these said "mates" can never be found, if they ever existed and indeed most of them had never even had a mate that owned a Ducati......
All of it is bullshit and the failures are almost always a result of bad or non-existent maintenance.

Give
Me
A
Break!

Anyway, Im going to have a bex and a good lie down now!
L8tr
E

Memberboof2332
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 120

Mood: Sympathetic

posted on July 24th, 2004 at 09:26 AM

Hey Tassupervee,

I am no expert on oil or petrol and only try and make educated decisions on what I read. The comment I made earlier about the synthetic oil rejecting heat was firstly from an article on 4 dyno tested 2000cc+ aircooled engines. All of their head temps went up with the use of synthetic oil. I then read this ......

Gene Berg enterprises

Online Parts Catalog

Oil

OIL10-ND Non detergent 10 weight for break-in of new engines in cold weather.

OIL20-ND Non detergent 20 weight for break-in of new engines in normal weather

OILR25W50 25W50 Pennzoil GT performance racing oil

OIL10/30 Detergent multi grade 10-30 weight

OIL10/30 TORCO Torco multi grade 10-30 weight

OILR/30 Racing 30 weight

OILR/40 Racing 40 weight

OIL-GR Gear oil 85/90 weight

OILM-GR Synthetic gear oil 75/90 weight.

Note 1: Synthetic gear oil will provide the best fuel mileage, smoothest shifting and longest life. For all standard transaxles. Do not use with a ZF limited slip.

Note 2: We do not sell or use synthetic engine oil for the air-cooled VW as it rejects heat. The air cooled VW depends on the oil to soak up the heat from the head and carry it back to the oil cooler. With the synthetic oil the head temperature goes up and the oil temperature went down.

I am doing some testing on a new development in the synthetic engine oil that is advertised to pick up heat from the oil and take it to the cooler without viscosity break down. I will let you know in the future if it lives up to its claims.

Top of Page

PARTS & ACCESSORIES | TECH TIPS | ABOUT GENE BERG
DEE BERG TOYS | MEET OUR TEAM | HOME

NEW PRODUCTS | PHOTO ALBUM | OLD STICKERS

GENE BERG ENTERPRISES
1725 North Lime Street
Orange, California 92865

The 2332 will be finished very soon...I guess I will have to try for myself.

Matt
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 24th, 2004 at 11:43 AM

Dude
Be assured I was not pointing the acid tongue at you or any other dude on this forum, generally just some of the claims and stuff I have read ( and laughed out loud at) over the years regarding oils and fuels, and not just on this forum.
The "rejecting heat" claim is a very curious one as this flies in the face of the very properties of nearly any decent, FULL synthetic oils.
Remember, that up until relatively recently, many so-called "Synthetic" oils were not full synthetic at all. Just blends of minerasl oils with synthetic compounds/polimers/molecules/atomic paticles :blah added.
Mobil 1 was one of these despite the claims of being a "Full Synthetic"
How they were getting around this blatant mis-representation is beyond me but probably runs along the same preposterous lines as the old "Made in Australia' & "Product of Australia" both which qualify for the green triangle and both infer being australian made but in fact are not even closely related......other than available in Australia..............go figure

Again, the science of tuning a kraut is not a rocket one. Low specific power output, low RPMs and low bearing loads. Compare a kraut to any of the air-cooled Nipponeeze big inch bikes of a few years ago. These things were producing around 130 Hp/litre (some more, some less) at 12000rpm and well beyond and seemed to survive for many tens of thousands of kilometers on anything from straight 30 weight deisel oil right thru to the very best synthetic stuff from Redline and Amsoil.

These things are asked to perform in a hideous environment of varying airflows over/around the engine, hidden away under a blanket of fibreglass rather than having the luxury of fan forced cooling and survive well enough on whatever happens to be put in them.

So, the moral is for most of us not to get too bent out of shape over the (supposed/claimed) quality of a given oil and its supposed heat rejecting properties (I notice that the article did not quote what oil it was actually running) How old is the article?

Anyways, good luck with your new toy.
L8tr
E

MemberAdrianH

No Avatar

posted on July 24th, 2004 at 02:37 PM

FWIW Im using GTX Protec - because I like the name. - No problems at all...
Memberboof2332
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 120

Mood: Sympathetic

posted on July 24th, 2004 at 05:21 PM

Its all cool........

NOW ....WHICH OIL DID WE DECIDE ON AFTER ALL THAT?????

Matt
MemberMickH
A.k.a.: Michael Hutchinson
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Hairy Gutted Sloth

Threads: 29

Mood: Grow a brain...walls don't hit back...

posted on July 24th, 2004 at 05:25 PM

GTX 2:bounce

tssnq.com.au
MemberBoozer
Custom Title Time!
Demented But Determined

No Avatar

Threads: 129

Mood: What the crap?

posted on July 24th, 2004 at 08:05 PM

If it burns it goes in my tank. If it's slippery it goes down the oil filler.

What's this about VW's having hardened valve seats? I was (i'm no expert here) under the impression that they didn't have them and a additive was needed. I've been using flashlube for more than 2 years had no problems.

THe MC Bat Commander's motto: "Never do now, what you could do for 24 hours straight, all night, the night before."
Super ModeratorPeter Leonard
Super Moderator
Volatile

Rank Avatar

Threads: 52

Mood: shiny

posted on July 25th, 2004 at 12:25 AM

I'm not trusting the people who put the seats in my heads to have put a specifically hardened metal in there. they could be cheapies... they could be kickass titanium or summin..how do you really know? one way to find out is not to use an additive that costs about 12 bucks for every 500litres of fuel you use. but that could work out realll spensive, so I'm sticking to flashlube. don't use valve seat protection, by all means, but check your clearances every so often and watch for the telltale signs. for those of use running dual valve springs and even triple valve springs I'd think it would be a good idea too. flashlube. mmmm. tasty.

let sleeping dubs lie
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 25th, 2004 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Boozer
If it burns it goes in my tank. If it's slippery it goes down the oil filler.

Bwaaahaha a man after my own heart.

A point to ponder is that flashlube and other lead substututes are not there to lube valve guides and other parts but purely as a cushion or shock absorber between the valve face/seat.

Sadly, spring loaded poppett valves dont close with a neat single click as we would imagine (hope for (dream about)) but with a nasty, uncontrolled and ever decreasing buzzing consisting of a multitude of tiny openings and closings.
This nastiness can be (sort of) demonstrated by gently bringing the faces of two hammers together.
(Dont do this hard tho children as hardened hammer heads have been known to shatter when hit against each other hard enough)......

These nasty and uncontrolled repetitive closings result in high wear rates and the dreaded valve recession, not to mention in extreme cases removing the heads off valves, collet and retainer failure, broken springs and so on.

This fun and games is a result of the combined harmonic properties of the valve spring and the valve train components.

A very common way to deal with these harmonics is to employ double or even triple valve springs as the different resonant frequencies of the different springs, combined with the other valve train components act agains one another effectively cancelling/reducing/eliminating this destructive bouncing of the valve on closing.

The seating pressure of the valve is but one condition that affects valve seat wear and what will really do the job on valve train goodies is destructive valve bouncing and badly profiled closing ramps on cams resulting in the valve slamming shut.

All that mega seating pressure and multiple springs clobber will actually prolong seat/valve faces, rather than contribute to seat recession.

Seating pressure alone has little to do with valve control and springs can be wound in a variety of linear and progressive tensions and simply upping the seating pressure may not control a valve at high lift.

As a matter of interest, in F-Vee, some guys are using springs seated at as little as 55Lb seating pressure and controlling the valve at up to 6500rpm. Mind you this is on a stock camshaft.
I personally use 65-68 Lb seating pressure on box stock springs and my engine will happily run to 6200rpm
Pandy's F-Vee will top 6500rpm with the same seating pressure.
Everything sure changes when very aggressive cam profiles are used but the basic rules apply right across the board.

Happy oiling.......FWIW I use Castrol Synthetic 0w30 in the F-Vee as it is cheap and available everywhere. I change it twice a year.

L8tr
E

MemberAdrianH

No Avatar

posted on July 26th, 2004 at 01:44 PM

Thanks Mr Supervee :D all good info...
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 26th, 2004 at 06:39 PM

hehehehe cewl dude!
L8tr
E

MemberDubCrazy
A.k.a.: steff
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: painting anything in front of me

posted on July 26th, 2004 at 07:10 PM

Come on people everyone has ther own opinion, one says this one says that.. at the end of the day we drive volksies and as much as we all love them they leak the oil right back out on our nice driveways and shed floors... they dont call them oildrippers for nothing hehee..........at the end of the day as long as it runs and gets us where we want to go it works... Myself i add a small amout of castrol tts 2 stroke bike oil into my tank.. why?? well i use it on my motorcrosser and i always have some fuel left over from a days racing so it goes in the beetle :P:thumb:P

steff.........................................
MemberMUD BASHING ANYONE ??
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 23

Mood: Need to be inspired !!

posted on July 26th, 2004 at 08:01 PM

Yeah theres nothing wrong with a bit of 2 stroke oil mine gets a bit of motul 800 mix after each ride
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top