N/a too:cool:
MemberSides
A.k.a.: Dave Sidery
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 59

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Need... more... shed... time...

posted on February 1st, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Yeah, as others have said - awesome stuff DB !!!

:tu:

I like the comment on the video about the engine being "VW aftermarket 2700cc"... the new King of Understatement I reckon.

:lol:

VWDCQ vice pres & web dude - vwdcqinc.org.au
Join a car club - get car peeps

My toys
'70 Hillclimb Bug 'Jezebel' w/- Haltech EFI - http://bit.ly/VwTNtQ 
'60 KG Coupe - resto kinda started
01 New Beetle - gf's car, but I turn the spanners
Memberhypo-vw
A.k.a.: Wayne Penrose
Veteran Volks Folk
Australias 1st 10sec street beetle (Jan 2007) 10.49secs@132mph street tyres

Threads: 82

Mood: hypo cruis'n

yes.gif posted on April 10th, 2013 at 01:13 PM

Dyno sheet for Chris Boltons 1967 turbo type-1 engine . Chris' engine made 305hp@ the wheels on just 10psi boost , with the new turbo header & intake manifold that I fabricated for him

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

Error

Team http://www.wpvw.com.au/images/classifieds/parts/WPVW%20signature.jpg

FASTEST ET @ WARWICK 2010 & 2011
FASTEST SPEED @ WARWICK 2011
FASTEST ET & SPEED WSID 2012
PB - 6.33@113.07(1/8) & 9.88@135(1/4)
Memberhypo-vw
A.k.a.: Wayne Penrose
Veteran Volks Folk
Australias 1st 10sec street beetle (Jan 2007) 10.49secs@132mph street tyres

Mood: hypo cruis'n

yes.gif posted on April 10th, 2013 at 11:56 PM

a new dyno sheet for my son Deans' 69 beetle . 2733ml type-4 turbo engine with 750dp Holley , 256hp@ the wheels on just 8psi boost

Error

Error

Team http://www.wpvw.com.au/images/classifieds/parts/WPVW%20signature.jpg

FASTEST ET @ WARWICK 2010 & 2011
FASTEST SPEED @ WARWICK 2011
FASTEST ET & SPEED WSID 2012
PB - 6.33@113.07(1/8) & 9.88@135(1/4)
Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on July 10th, 2013 at 08:22 AM

This is my 1972 Superbug with my own Megasquirt fuel injection setup. Scat 1915cc engine with counterweighted 69mm crankshaft, 94mm pistons, pro-street heads with 40mm x 35.5mm stainless valves, C35 camshaft with 476” lift, 1.25:1 ratio rockers, 8.5:1 compression and 12 ½ lb lightened flywheel. Twin 50mm Ford Laser throttle boddies, 270cc Nissan CA18ET Turbo injectors, twin Holden Commodore wasted spark coils, 36/1 toothed wheel and Ford Falcon crank angle sensor, cold air induction, custom 4" muffler with twin baffled 2 1/2" tips. 78HP at the wheels at 4900rpm on 94 octane fuel. Gets 8.0L/100km on the highway and 11-13L/100km around town. Oil temps don't go over 97C and CHT under 350F. At the 2012 Warwick drags I managed an 11.537 at 59.44mph in a 970kg car (without my 92kg lard arse body) and won my four heats. Currenty fitting an AMR500 supercharger and hoping for 5-8psi of boost and 30-40hp increase in power (hopefully!!).

Error
MemberGracey
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 17

Mood: Itchy

posted on July 10th, 2013 at 01:26 PM

Nice fabrication work davidt!!
Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 10th, 2013 at 05:43 PM

Thanks Gracey. I tried to attach extra pictures but I must have stuffed it up so I will do them one at a time.
Here is the graph from the Dyno Day at Leons Motors June 1st 2013.

Error
Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 10th, 2013 at 05:46 PM

Here is the engine without the cold-air filter box. Note that the AMR500 supercharger still needs the intake plumbing and blow-off valve to be fitted. I have had it running and boy is it LOUD. It makes a screaming noise that can be heard in the next street.

Error
Member1303Steve
A.k.a.: Steve Carter
Scirocco Rare

Threads: 556

Mood: Parrot Heading

posted on July 10th, 2013 at 07:47 PM

Hi

About time I had something to post in this thread.

My 2.0 litre Subaru WRX STI powered Beetle, stock motor, stock VF30 IHI turbo, 3 inch exhaust, stock ported exhaust manifolds, Grimmspeed cross pipe, PWR air to water inter cooler & Autronic SM4 ECU.

204.5 kW, 496 Nm torque on 20.3 psi

Error
Membercolin
Fahrvergnugen

posted on July 10th, 2013 at 09:52 PM

That's awesome Steve.
Are you attending Warwick this year?
Larry and I are both racing.

Cheers Col
MemberJak Rizzo
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 67

Mood: Pastizzi eating

posted on July 11th, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1303Steve
Hi

About time I had something to post in this thread.

My 2.0 litre Subaru WRX STI powered Beetle, stock motor, stock VF30 IHI turbo, 3 inch exhaust, stock ported exhaust manifolds, Grimmspeed cross pipe, PWR air to water inter cooler & Autronic SM4 ECU.

204.5 kW, 496 Nm torque on 20.3 psi

& U can also drive it every day of the week.
Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 11th, 2014 at 07:18 PM
1915cc with AMR500 Supercharger

Finally put my blower conversion on the Dyno. I was very happy with the results. The engine is extremely responsive and has grunt right through the rev range. It is soooo much fun to drive on the street.
Scat 1915cc, Megasquirt ECU & custom fuel injection, E85 fuel and AMR500 supercharger. Made 116hp at 4900rpm but had a minimum of 110hp between 4000rpm and the rev limiter at 5700rpm. Maximum torque ran between 2500rpm and 4000rpm and peaked with around 525lbs of tractive effort. As a comparison, a standard 1600DP makes 38-40hp and 250lbs of tractive effort on the same Dyno. After the Dyno session I found a loose L/H inlet manifold, plus on the data logs the air-fuel ratio was in the 10's (quite rich) above 5000rpm so there may be more in the old girl yet.

Error

Error
Membercnfabo
Custom Title Time!

No Avatar

Threads: 140

posted on July 18th, 2014 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by davidt
Finally put my blower conversion on the Dyno. I was very happy with the results. The engine is extremely responsive and has grunt right through the rev range. It is soooo much fun to drive on the street.
Scat 1915cc, Megasquirt ECU & custom fuel injection, E85 fuel and AMR500 supercharger. Made 116hp at 4900rpm but had a minimum of 110hp between 4000rpm and the rev limiter at 5700rpm. Maximum torque ran between 2500rpm and 4000rpm and peaked with around 525lbs of tractive effort. As a comparison, a standard 1600DP makes 38-40hp and 250lbs of tractive effort on the same Dyno. After the Dyno session I found a loose L/H inlet manifold, plus on the data logs the air-fuel ratio was in the 10's (quite rich) above 5000rpm so there may be more in the old girl yet.

That's awesome man good work....heaps of low end grunt and holds it up top too...luvin it..

Fabo
Membertassupervee
A.k.a.: Knob Jockey
Custom Title Time!
That really hurts doesnt it!

Threads: 25

Theme: UltimaBB Psyche Blue
Mood: Moody!

posted on July 19th, 2014 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cnfabo
Quote:
Originally posted by davidt

That's awesome man good work....heaps of low end grunt and holds it up top too...luvin it..

Fabo

Sweet conversion M8.
What boost pressure to get those fugures?

E

Im not a complete idiot, quite a few parts are missing....
Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 19th, 2014 at 08:51 PM

Thanks. The boost varies depending on revs. On the dyno run, the boost starts at 7psi at 2100rpm and then dips down to 5.3psi at 4100rpm and then climbs to 10.9psi at the 5700rpm limiter. Since I am using a positive displacement blower, the actual air getting pumped into engine cannot vary, give or take pumping loses, etc.
The boost pressure that is registered on a gauge is just the restriction of flow of the actual air getting pumped through the intake system, cylinders and exhaust system. So I believe that the boost pressure is not actually dipping in the mid range. That is where the engine is at it's most efficient. On my Scat 1915cc engine the intake plumbing size, intake port size, valve size, cam profile are set-up for max torque in the 2000-3000rpm and max power at 5000rpm. So in summery I think that if I ported the heads, fitted even larger valves and fitted a more aggressive cam suited to supercharging, then I would expect the boost to be more linear and the power would increase. An intercooler would really help as well but there is not enough space.
If you want to see the datalog from the dyno pulls then please contact me via email at thieledj@optusnet.com.au and I will send it to you (was too big to post here).
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 19th, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Intercooling is always an issue for Krauts.
Your smallest and most flexible option would be a water cooler (which I use on another application) A 600Hp cooler is about 350mm square by 120 thick. Can type cooers are quite small and could be placed under the back seat or something like that. The piping length is irrelevant.
Cooler radiator placement and piping mightr be a challenge tho.
the gains just arent there tho to justify the setup cosats and time on such a low pressure combo tho.

Best alternative would be water injection. It would work ok on this setup. Use a PWM aux op on ur ECU to drive the pressure pump for a fully progressive setup.
again, nowhere near necessary on this combo tho. easy enough to tune around via inlet density anyway.

Nice looking rig m8

Cheers
E

Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 20th, 2014 at 09:06 AM

I had investigated using a water-to-air intercooler but as you said, the cost and space were an issue. I still wanted to be able to close the deck lid and have the car look standard. I have experienced manifold air temps of up to 150C with the highest readings being under deceleration. So to combat the high temps, I converted to E85. That required larger or additional injectors. There were four 270cc injectors in the inlet manifolds and I installed a 170cc injector between the throttle body and the blower and then another 170cc unit after the blower. The MAT sensor was installed close to the air outlet of the blower. Unfortunately the reading from the MAT sensor were incorrect unless decelerating as the fuel was cooling the sensor and giving an incorrect reading. The high air temp melted the MAT sensor on the drive to the dyno session so I have now moved the sensor to just above the L/H inlet manifold. I will see what the results are after the new fan arrives. I had installed water injection early on when I was using petrol to combat the inlet temps and also the detonation that I was experiencing. It is probably not needed now but it doesn't hurt to use it. Yes I am controlling the water spray with the Megasquirt ECU. The injector prior to the blower has now been moved to after the blower into the position vacated by the MAT sensor. I guess we will see how it all goes.

Hooroo

David

Error
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 20th, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Those sky high IAT's are a mystery tho. Something is wrong in my view.

With tha TB as a pull-thru closed, and close to absolute vacuum behind it, there isnt anytbing to compress and generate the heat and b ugger all airflow to remove the heat.
Your pipework is pretty large, but just isnt subject to that much radiated heat with the zorst pipes exiting below........

Its under 4Deg.C temp rise per psi compressing air, ignoring any additional mechanical heat sources so how the temps are being elevated that high in the inlet and the fact that youve had to get so funky with additional injectors is very worthy of further investigation.

Good luck with it tho. its a very cool installation!!!

E

Memberdavidt
Casual Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 20th, 2014 at 01:58 PM

That was my thinking when I converted from blow-through to draw-through. But the blower still generates excessive heat. It turns freely and I have checked the oil level. The water injection is between the butterfly and the blower inlet. The blower is running a pulley ratio of 3:1 and is spinning at 2800rpm at engine idle, 9000rpm at 100kph and 16500rpm at 5500rpm. I guess this is what is causing the high temps.
Thanks.

David
Membertassupervee
Custom Title Time!

posted on July 20th, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Jeez. Blow thru with a superblower!!! Gawwd.
Thats a complete arse to get working at all with bloody blow off/relief valves hissing everywhere or belts flicking off. Throttle response ends up pretty firey as well!!!! Instant boost once the throttle is cracked!!!

A M8 set up a blow thru turbo over supercharger on a crazy Pinto 2.3. it was idling at 12psi!!!!!! Had several 2" poppett valves set up to relieveair pressure down from the blower and the thing wheezed like a big air compressor at idle and any time the throttle was shut!
If it didnt flick the blower belts off it went from idling to about 300 Hp the instant the throttle was cracked!
This was an (estimated) 700Hp turbo over supercharged thing and was undriveable.. I mean.. UNdriveable. it just went from zero to hero as soon as the throttle was cracked.
Was funny to see it getting out of the driveway alternately idling or frying tyres. its all it did!!!!!!!

E

MemberFiatdude
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 17

posted on December 19th, 2014 at 03:52 AM

Here's my 2989 turbo'd engine is street tune -- video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52kBy7a6fc 

http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss306/Fiatdude/Ghia/dynosheet7-1-2014_zps9296b0a0.jpg
Memberlou0060
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 30

posted on July 8th, 2015 at 05:22 PM

Got my graphs today from our dyno run last week.

I've only posted the HP vrs Boost graph but the air ratio graph looks good with a:f ratio at just under -12:1 alomost all the way thru the rev range and the other graph is the tractive effort which pretty much followed the HP graph and peaked at around 1030 lbs force.

Not a bad result for what is basically a stock EJ20 twin turbo out of a 1995 liberty. All I have done is eliminate the PCV valve, pod filter on the intake, straight thru exhaust from each turbo, exhaust vacuum crackcase extraction into oil catch cans, a reprogrammed Mines No2 ECU and an external oil cooler/filter plus a front mount air to air intercooler. Details are under the non-vw engine forum.

This is running on 98 octane fuel and we are now going to change over to my 105 octane fuel which should improve the numbers even further.

Oh, and I paid $400 for the engine........

Error

1971 karmann ghia Cabrio - Cruising :yes:
1963 beetle Sunroof - gathering dust :fakesniff:
1968 race beetle - twin turbo Subaru - stress relief :smilegrin:
1960 beetle - old school low & slow :smirk:
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on July 9th, 2015 at 10:59 PM

more to come, 98 and E85 tune, its only 25 kW more but it hits so hard

Error
MemberRosco86
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on April 19th, 2016 at 03:59 PM

69mm x 85.5mm = 1584cc
8.5:1 CR
counter weighted crank
stock rods
stock pistons with modified rings
lightened flywheel

Balanced

Stock twin port heads, no porting or polishing anywhere.
Stock valves and seats with a 3 angle cut.
Single springs
Stock rockers modified to 1.25:1 (max lift 9.6mm inlet and 9.2mm exhaust)

Cam:

Inlet and Exhaust Phase Angle: 107° ± 15'
Lobe Lift Table maximum (mm):
Degrees Inlet Exhaust
90 Opening 0.061 0.165
75 0.266 0.353
60 0.651 0.700
45 2.552 2.448
30 5.297 5.017
15 7.152 6.793
0 Peak 7.778 7.391
15 Closing 7.154 6.787
30 5.310 4.993
45 2.596 2.364
60 0.679 0.632
75 0.310 0.288
90 0.118 0.081

Solex 34 carb with a 29mm restrictor plate immediately below.
approx 205 main.
Stock inlet mainfold and end castings.
Still running a stock fan
009 distributor with electronic ignition

66hp and 83ft/lb engine will not see over 6000rpm. As you can see our inlet restriction kills us.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93255976/dyno%20e10.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93255976/Capture.PNG
Membermodnrod
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 50

Mood: Old School Volksies!

posted on April 21st, 2016 at 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
69mm x 85.5mm = 1584cc
8.5:1 CR
counter weighted crank
stock rods
stock pistons with modified rings
lightened flywheel

Balanced

Stock twin port heads, no porting or polishing anywhere.
Stock valves and seats with a 3 angle cut.
Single springs
Stock rockers modified to 1.25:1 (max lift 9.6mm inlet and 9.2mm exhaust)

Superstockers! :tu:;)
Member1303Steve
Scirocco Rare

posted on April 21st, 2016 at 09:42 AM

I forgot to post my E85 tune results

Error
MemberRosco86
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 1

posted on April 21st, 2016 at 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by modnrod

Superstockers! :tu:;)

Forgot to say we are on e10.
 Pages:  1  ..  3  4  5

Go To Top