Author: Subject: performance on a budget
MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 14

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: supercharged

smile.gif posted on May 24th, 2005 at 03:54 PM
performance on a budget

as you problably know im looking to do some motorsport in my little 3 door golf MK1. im on a tight budget. so im really just looking at a wild cam and exaust system. any thing else i can do on a tight budget that will make it competitive?

firebreathing 4 potter...
MemberSteveMk2
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 27

Mood: I always cruise flippantly...

posted on May 25th, 2005 at 09:36 PM

Make sure it handles well. If you can find a cheap old stock set of uprated springs and shocks, or someones second hand jobbies, grab em. A Golfs true performance potential lies not in a straight line. Also, uprated brakes will cost around $500...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mk2boy/sig%20copy.jpg
Steve. Classic 85 Mk2 2dr GTI 8v Optioned sunroof and 15"BBS RS alloys. Koni yellow and H&R, Balanced bottom end, flowed top end, Neuspeed 268 cam.
MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on May 26th, 2005 at 09:20 AM

where would i find these shockers. i was thinking about goin to autobahn and just orderding a set of lowered stiffened shox. also what about the brakes, upgrade to what?? or off what? thanks for the advice.:thumb

MemberSteveMk2

posted on May 27th, 2005 at 08:03 PM

Brakes upgrade to Mk2 GTI spec. Brian at GTI (9653 1114) has the kits. They bolt straight on...
As for suspension, you get what you pay for. Brand names. Get a package from a reputable euro brand. Dont go Pedders, Monroe, Autobarn... Ask Brian while you are talking brakes... trust me. Pep the engine a bit, make the car stop and turn... Money well spent...

Steve. Classic 85 Mk2 2dr GTI 8v Optioned sunroof and 15"BBS RS alloys. Koni yellow and H&R, Balanced bottom end, flowed top end, Neuspeed 268 cam.
MemberSteveMk2

posted on May 27th, 2005 at 08:04 PM

Oh, and even an engine out of a humble Seat Cordoba or Toledo would be great. Look also for Audi 4 cyl engines....

MemberVWCOOL
23 Windows of Awesome

No Avatar

Threads: 235

Mood: happy to help

posted on May 27th, 2005 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GoLfMan
as you problably know im looking to do some motorsport in my little 3 door golf MK1. im on a tight budget. so im really just looking at a wild cam and exaust system. any thing else i can do on a tight budget that will make it competitive?

Tight budget and motorsport do not exist in the same sentence... Forget the cam and exhaust. Just get out there and have some fun!

Pay your debts, CxxT
Memberbat69
Insano Dub Head
There is no status

Threads: 84

Mood: I'm EXCITED!

posted on May 28th, 2005 at 11:56 AM

I had a mate who use to rally one of these. Nothing was done to the engine apart from a small down draft webber. He had Mk2 brakes and bilstien shockers all round. Apart from that it was stock, and very quick for a club car. I saw him beat a couple of 4wd turbo mazda's and a whole heap of buggies to win a state khanacross a few years back.

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL
Tight budget and motorsport do not exist in the same sentence... Forget the cam and exhaust. Just get out there and have some fun!

Vwcool's right. Theres no such thing as cheap motorsport. Just go and have fun.

White Knuckle Racing Team
"Drive it like dirt"
MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on May 30th, 2005 at 01:05 PM

thanks guys, and fun i shall have. is this brian at GTi in sydney? im a melbourne man. motorsport as in club events, kharnacross and the like, some hill climbs. and how much would these engines cost?

Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on May 30th, 2005 at 04:28 PM

Exactly what these guys said. Keep it stock, for reliability, put your bux into the suspension if you must, get all the safety gear and get driving. Spend your first bucks on driver training and learn the parameters of the car. Then put bucks into hot bits.

kkk

Quote:
Originally posted by VWCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by GoLfMan

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
MemberSteveMk2

posted on May 30th, 2005 at 08:31 PM

Yep. Thats Brian. He knows where you can get most stuff. As for what the others said, that is true. I would do the suspension and brakes before engine mods. Having said that, I have dumped a GTI engine in a MK1, and it was stupid fun, albeit slightly dangerous with crap suspension and brakes.

MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on May 31st, 2005 at 10:23 AM

so Brians in sydney?

MemberSteveMk2

posted on June 2nd, 2005 at 09:56 PM

Yep. freights all over australia...

MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on June 4th, 2005 at 01:28 PM

awesome ill check it out. thanks man

MemberGoLfMan
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on June 14th, 2005 at 10:30 PM

update on this.. the 4 door is problably going to be raced instead of the 2 door becasue the 2 door is going to cost less to get roadworthy. i am aiming for a kharnacross event in july but if i cant get in there ill go and check out the scene :bounce

Go To Top