Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1583 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 43187 ]
Author: Subject: T3 Carvelle - What's this worth really?
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on August 26th, 2005 at 05:58 PM
T3 Carvelle - What's this worth really?

http://www.autotrader.com.au/DealerProducts/DealerProduct.asp?ProductID=10721

There's a grey Caravelle here, he want's 10k for it. We're looking for one in the 7-10k bracket, must be watercooled, air and top spec. What kind of money buys what?

Do you lot think that a Carevelle, say 90/91 is gonna be a better option that a T4 2.5 Petrol Transporter (convert to a bus). Given that they seem to be 12k plus with a gazillion k's on them.

What are the 'ouch' points on T3s? I hear grearboxes are exy etc., Not a watercooled person, but think we need to upgrade the 72 micro to something with air and power. Baby 3 has shown up, and wife has Sube Forester which don't fit 3 kids, so used to more modern motoring you see.

Don't want to blow 30k plus on a T4 as it will still ditch value too much, figure T3s seem to be fairly stable in price. A matter of bang for buck. We want to keep the Sube ya see.

Any comments, opinions welcome, this is becomming a real hassle - what to choose high k T4 convert transporter in petrol (diesel too exy for us), or good T3 Caravelle in the up to 10k price range. But then don't wanna pay too much for T3 at some num nuts traders.

...option of new wife or selling kids is not in the equation.....I do like 'em honest.

Loves a lolcat
MemberSouthern Van
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 26

posted on August 27th, 2005 at 08:44 AM

I bought a syncro camper for 10k about 6 months ago from a dealer in sydney.Had a bearing noise in the gearbox,spent $2300 fixing it. The last owner spent 6k on the motor. If I was you I would look for one with a blown motor for around 2k or 3k and put a subie in the back. $ 6800 push in drive out at custom off road. Bit cheaper than a bay as you already have the radiator up the front.
Memberzjm
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 23

Mood: undecided

posted on August 27th, 2005 at 01:06 PM

see if it has a service history that includes an engine rebuild
these cars have a problem with corrosion that eventually causes water to pour out the bottom of the heads
these motors also were based upon type 1 internals ie. beetle sized engine bearings and stuff
the t4 wasnt much better especially in automatics
and they chew through brakes both pads and rotors
notice how few of these are owned by couriers
Membergreedy51
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 149

Mood: morphene moody

posted on September 22nd, 2005 at 08:53 PM

i know a chap near me who traded his t3 for a t4 and has not stoped crying since very unhappy just says that the new one is not half the old one

Pimp my Hide
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on September 22nd, 2005 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greedy51
i know a chap near me who traded his t3 for a t4 and has not stoped crying since very unhappy just says that the new one is not half the old one

Well I had to go buy one, as you won't sell yours!....v happy. infinately better than the one on the trading post in every respect.

Loves a lolcat

Go To Top