Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: eccentric

posted on October 3rd, 2005 at 10:57 PM
headers/extractors for mrk3 golf

time for a bit of tech advice i think,
dispite my girlfriends pleas i was wondering if getting extractors/ headers on my 2lt mrk3 golf would be a good idea, bad idea or completeley pointless and im kinda stoopid for even asking such a peabrain question.
be honest!
luv/etc
chrisso

oh, and any other quick and simple mods that can be done. and cheap.

thanks!

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.
Membertyp-fre
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 87

Mood: sorta not too bad almost kool i think! huh?

posted on October 4th, 2005 at 10:14 AM

your probarbly better off doin cosmetic mods to it if you want cheaper, extractors is a good idea, but are you goin to be happy with it, also it would have little effect in power on a stock engine.

dom

http://membres.lycos.fr/binuxracing/pics/76a.gifhttp://oldeskool.org/howto/plate.jpg
Gehts notch?

|.. ohhh shit!! wrong turn:P
|............._____/___________
|.........__/-_|__|\ ___________________
|......../( )____( )= ___________
Membervwrallycar
A.k.a.: Andrew Rankin
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 83

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on October 7th, 2005 at 01:58 PM

depends if you are chasing some more horsepower, if you are then go that way and do the rest of the exhaust as well. should also improve fuel economy as well
MemberABF2.016V
Casual Dubber

Threads: 2

posted on October 10th, 2005 at 11:57 AM

Not worth it on a Mk3.... or most waterc'd VWs for that matter. The stock manifolds are too good and you'll only get a noticeable increase on a heavily tuned engine. Also, the Mk3 engine mounts are too soft and you'll either a) eventually crack the manifold at the base, or b) get leaks from the flexi joint as it can't handle the ridiculous amount of engine movement.

I tried some hand formed extractors on my last 16v Ibiza and gained just 4Nm in the mid range and 3hp at 9,300rpm... just not worth it. It hasn't just been me either; I know of many others, namely a friend in the UK with another Ibiza Cupra club car - he gained 4hp with a genuine group 2 VWM manifold :td: Plus these are heavily tuned cars aswell passing a lot of exhaust gas and revving to 5 figures.

You'd be better of getting a 270 cam and vernier pulley and playing around with that. I've recently done this to a Mk3 powered Mk1 and after advancing the ignition timing, it gained 10.5kW at the wheels :)

-Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v ABF
-SEAT Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16v, built motor on Throttle Bodies
-SEAT Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16v stocker
Membermrchristopher
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Mood: eccentric

posted on October 10th, 2005 at 04:16 PM

that sounds like a good idea,
all my mech friends and rev heads just tell me to slap a turbo on it,
but i want to keep it subtle- i like my dub as it is, the last thing i want is a buzz buzz exhaust and a body kit- too much jazz for my liking.

and besides, its more fun with a fast but granny lookin car!

if i play around with diff cams it wont be instantly recognisable once you lift the hood will it? i dont want my insurance going loopy if the worst happens and i write it off
MemberABF2.016V
Casual Dubber

Threads: 2

posted on October 10th, 2005 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrchristopher

if i play around with diff cams it wont be instantly recognisable once you lift the hood will it? i dont want my insurance going loopy if the worst happens and i write it off

The cam itself is undetectable on all 8v motors unless you remove the rocker cover. You can't even see the lobes with the oil filler cap removed as there's a splash tray covering the entire cam.

I very much doubt any insurance company would detect a cam, though. Having said that, I've always declared mine but I have unlimited mods policies!!!!

What will be detectable, though, is the vernier pulley... well, it'll have the upper cam belt cover over it but that only takes 2 metal clips to remove.

If you're really worried, just declare the mods :)

-Mk1 Golf 2.0 16v ABF
-SEAT Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16v, built motor on Throttle Bodies
-SEAT Ibiza Cupra 2.0 16v stocker

Go To Top