Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1329 | Total Replies: 11 | Thread Id: 46224 ]
Author: Subject:  New Beetle - Advice From Owners Please?
Memberphantom
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 196

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Where does this wire go?

cool.gif posted on November 22nd, 2005 at 12:13 PM
New Beetle - Advice From Owners Please?

Hi all,
A different New Bug advice column, if I may! I'm pondering the possible downsizing of the family car (Commodore) and looking at the possibilities of a New Beetle.
I'd love some words from people who have owned them, or had experience with them, with the following points to note:

- rear seat space? I have 2 teenage daughters...how much room is in the back there?
- I assume (very) limited storage space?
- fuel economy?
- advice on the current engine alternatives would be appreciated.

Just for info, car would not be needed to do long trips or a lot of regular driving. I won't be looking for the biggest beefiest turbo'est gucci'est model, just something we can go out in as a family. We'd be looking manual, won't be looking cabrio (unless the boss tells me otherwise...hmm...maybe), won't be lowering it, etc. Don't want all the huge options, just a nice basic model...however if I can't fit the kidlings in it'll be struck off the list.

Any advice appreciated!

MemberMidlife crisis
Veteran Volks Folk
Nartispuddlejumper, Bureau of Toxicity

Threads: 160

Mood: Wornout and Toxic

posted on November 22nd, 2005 at 12:16 PM

I there
In regards to room in the back seat, I have travelled in the back seat of 2000 model many times, the only thing I found was sometimes I hit my head on the roof, I am 5.8 tall other than that the ride is good.

Marc

If you can't laugh at yourself you can't laugh at anyone else! Because life is to short not to LAUGH
Memberblutopless2
Veteran Volks Folk
DAMSLO

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on November 22nd, 2005 at 02:53 PM

rear seat space.... i have never been in the rear seat of our cabrio but with me driving (i am approx 6ft tall) i dont think someone can sit behind me too comfortably.
mscabrio has had 4 adults in it a few times and i dont think there were complaints from the back seat.
Go to a car yard with the family and pile them all in and go for a drive... then you can decide if its ok.
Storage space... i believe the hard top has quite a large luggage area, cabrio has limited boot space - the main problem is the opening size.. once opened its not too bad but no good for solid shaped suit cases etc.. really good for soft luggage.
Fuel economy... depends how you drive etc... we get around 7L/100k.
Are you going new or second hand??
Old models had 1.6L 2.0L and 1.8Turbo.... and these are still listed on the website, but i believe the new models will only have the 1.6L and 2.0L

hth

see.... air and water do mix ;)

1974 1300
1997 MK3 Golf GL
2003 NB Cabrio
2012 Golf VI GTI
2014 Audi A4 Quattro
Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on November 22nd, 2005 at 05:05 PM

My advise would be too go for it! The NB is awesome! I have a cabrio and love it to bits. Have had it for 2 years now and I still have a smile on my face everytime I drive it! As for the family stuff, Blutopless is actually wrong. I managed to pile 5 adults in the car (including myself) and we didn't have tooooooo much of a problem (mind you though, the roof was down!). Best idea would be too go and take one for a drive

:punk:
Super Administratorvanderaj
A.k.a.: Andrew van der Stock
Super Administrator
a suffusion of yellow

Rank Avatar

Threads: 436

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: In the family again

posted on November 22nd, 2005 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by phantom
- rear seat space? I have 2 teenage daughters...how much room is in the back there?
- I assume (very) limited storage space?
- fuel economy?
- advice on the current engine alternatives would be appreciated.

Rear seat leg and head room space can be tight if the front seat passengers are tall. Any three door car is like this these days. If the kids are not yet fully grown, they should be right as long as they don't get car sick. If they do, this is not the best car for back seat driving - they can't open any windows.

I reckon your daughters will love the car. I never got so many questions about any car I've owned - perfect strangers will talk to you at the petrol stations and at car parks.

The non-Cabrios have reasonable storage space - it's about 1/2 the size of a Commodore boot and the rear seats fold down for those big loads. I never had any troubles but I am single and the cats don't pack any heat when they travel. The Cabrio has a pretty small boot which would be fine for me, but not sufficient for a family of four.

The most fuel efficient engine is the 1.6, followed by the 1.8t, followed in last place by the 2.slow. All of them require 95 or better fuel. You'll be looking around 8 l/100km for the 1.6, 8.2 l/100 km for the 1.8t (which was the lifetime average of my Turbo Beetle over two years, and I did not spare the horses). The 2.slow brings up the rear at around 8.5 l/100 km for the basic manual to 13 l/100 km for the Cabrio auto in the city. None of them are as thirsty as your Commodore and all of them do very well on long drives in the country.

I'd still suggest the 1.8t as it's more fuel efficient (and fun) than the 2.slow. If you find VW are selling you the new 2.5 I5 engine, you'll be happy with that, even if it uses more fuel than both the 2.slow and the 1.8t. The 2.slow has a oil drinking habit. If it drinks more than 1.5 l per 1000 km, VW will replace the engine, but if it "only" drinks 1.499 l per 1000 km, you'll have to continue feeding it as VW consider that "normal". Ultra fussy running in or just being really lucky can help reduce the oil habit to low levels, but this level of effort simply should not be required in modern engines.

Andrew
MemberY2K
A.k.a.: Maya
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 14

Mood: APRed

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 07:28 AM

my only comment - just a bloody awesome car to drive, you'll never look back.

im on my second one and may even go for a third soon

as for your daughters, im sure they wont care if theyre a smidgen bit squished....THEYRE IN A NEW BEETLE :bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce:bounce its not that bad...the leg room

id be stoked

2000 New Beetle White (SOLD)
2004 NB Turbo Black, APR (SOLD)
2007 Passat Black shaggin wagon
1955 Beetle white VWOVAL
1956 Kombi, rusty n lichen
Memberphantom
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 11:14 AM

Well its sounding like a possibility so far. I reckon that no matter how the New Beetle is, the daughters would still rate it as second to their own cars (yet to officially own) - 69 and 60 bug respectively.

Would love some info on Servicing periods, amounts, costs of replacement parts? What about anti-theft stuff? Standard tyre sizes?

Oh yeah, these model beetles, they take that clear stuff up the front...where the spare wheel is supposed to be...don't they?

Memberblutopless2
Veteran Volks Folk
DAMSLO

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 12:11 PM

yep... they take that funny stuff up the front.. spare wheel is mounted in the old engine bay..

servicing is 15,000k's... probably depends on where you get it serviced as to the cost too... average service should be around the $220-280 i think.
front fog lights on the cabrio are about $300.. rear fog light lens is under $100... other parts i have not replaced as yet. *crossing fingers*
anti theft - we had an alarm installed by VW when we purchased the car.
Cabrio standard tyre size is 16inch.. cant remember width and profile.. but around $500 a tyre (so i have been told). The hardtop may have 15 inch tyres standard but not sure.

see.... air and water do mix ;)

1974 1300
1997 MK3 Golf GL
2003 NB Cabrio
2012 Golf VI GTI
2014 Audi A4 Quattro
Membernbturbo
Veteran Volks Folk

Threads: 89

Theme: UltimaBB Powder

posted on November 23rd, 2005 at 01:45 PM

My Turbo came with 16x6 Rave alloys with Michelin's that were about $500 each when being replaced.I put some 17x7 Toccata's on it at 1500ks with some Sava 225.45's at $170 each-I really like the ride with them.Mine has also cost about $300 for it's 2 services so far.I have only had to replace a front indicator lens so far-rock damage- and it was about $100 from memory.I have bought a few bits(interior lights and grab handle/sunglass holder) to fit to my Oval ,and they were a bit exxy,but not items I guess you would need to change at all.The Turbo's come with a fairly good security system as standard,with an alarm system and motion sensors in each interior light.As stated the rear passenger room is adequate for the size of the car,and with the non split rear seat down,there is plenty of storage.My only gripe is, because I drive with the seat fully adjusted back,with the rear seat layed down-I have to drive cramped against the steering wheel-because the seat will then not go back fully.My wife and I have been away a couple of times for a week trip,and we fit all of our suitcases in the back,with only jackets and light stuff on the rear seat.As Molly says"do yourself a favour" and drive one-there will be no going back-trust me.

[ Edited on 23-11-2005 by nbturbo ]
Memberphantom
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on December 1st, 2005 at 11:53 AM

We had a look at the new Beetles yesterday - 'Miami' basic model and the cabriolet. Very nice! Noted the less-comfy rear seats in the cabrio, however it is better for rear headroom due to the lack of pillars and padding. More rear legroom in the hardtop but less headroom...gees its hard! Haven't driven one yet. Also tried a Golf but hated the seats, and a Bora but felt very cramped.

Dealer only had details of the 1.6 and 2.0, I'd probably only be looking at the 1.6.

In saying that, there was also a second-hand beetle...Jan 04 Compliance, 5000 k's only, sunroof (and probably a few other options that I don't know about) for 32K.

Guidance from anyone who drives a 1.6, I have a possibility of pulling a trailer occasionally, but not a huge load (eg dogs or other light loads), hows the power and would it pull a light load?

MemberY2K
A.k.a.: Maya
Wolfsburg Wizard

No Avatar

Threads: 14

Mood: APRed

posted on December 1st, 2005 at 12:08 PM

id sugest going for a second hand 2ltr OR i saw the other day a 2003 turbo under $30k...more torque, more power and now a rare classic....hehehe

2000 New Beetle White (SOLD)
2004 NB Turbo Black, APR (SOLD)
2007 Passat Black shaggin wagon
1955 Beetle white VWOVAL
1956 Kombi, rusty n lichen
Membermscabrio
Veteran Volks Folk
Cabriolet Queen

Threads: 142

Mood: Swimming in water. Floating on air.

posted on December 1st, 2005 at 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Y2K
id sugest going for a second hand 2ltr OR i saw the other day a 2003 turbo under $30k...more torque, more power and now a rare classic....hehehe

:thumb Never thought that I would hear the words "new beetle" and "rare classic" in one sentence

:punk:

Go To Top