Author: Subject:  How much audio.
Member53racer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 36

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on January 26th, 2006 at 10:17 PM
How much audio.

Ok, here is a question.
How much audio can you add to a stock setup bug?

eg: h/u, amps, speaks. etc.
i see peeps with good systems, but dont see much changed...

DE-38-UG
1964 1200.
Beware the Wolfsburg.
MemberColumBUS
A.k.a.: The Liquid Chef
Wolfsburg Elder
Hail To The Bus Driver!

Threads: 164

Mood: Euro - Trashed

posted on January 26th, 2006 at 10:46 PM

well, make sure your bug is 12 volt first...

then you can add as much as you want. it all depends on how much battery power you have, and, as a general rule. i believe if you have more than 4 speakers and a subwoofer, you are a wanker as it is overkill in such a small car. even a sub is pushing it.

1 head unit (need more? you might have OCD) 2x 6 inch speakers up front (get component speakers and mount the tweeters in the dash), 2 2x9's in the parcel tray, or perhaps at the feet of the back seat, and one (perhaps even two small) subwoofer/s under the parcel tray is more than enough to deliver smooth, high quality and very loud music. two decent amplifiers mounted under the front seats or stacked parallel to the battery should provide the power.

there is a 57/8 beetle in the c'town area running 4 6x9's and a sub, and it does kick arse! but its overkill.

if you run too many speakers in the car:
*the placement will be off, and can lead to a muddy almost echo in the car. different pitches will be running everywhere and can totally ruin the sound of your speakers.
*you will look like a wanker

people run similar setups because it works. if it aint broke why fix it?

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j68/kroozinkikko/fishsigfinalsmall.jpg
Member53racer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 27th, 2006 at 07:53 PM

hehe, yeah, i only plan on 7 speakers.
to be specific,
tweeters
mids,
woofers,
sub.
2 amps, lcd dvd touch screen h/u, and that'll do.

i just thought maybe a bigger gen was needed. seems not.

DE-38-UG
1964 1200.
Beware the Wolfsburg.
MemberAnthiron
A.k.a.: Nicko McKay
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
The Baja Rejuvenation Begins

Threads: 310

Mood: Hell hath no fury like a womans scorn for sega.

posted on January 27th, 2006 at 11:27 PM

what model bug is it?>

a 30 amp genny might be struggling a little there.

62/60 model bug eye baja bug, (Full Build in Progress)
1974 Chevrolet Luv
1970 MK2 Ford Cortina GT
1979 Yamaha RX125 Two Stroke tracker project.
2004 Harley Davidson Sportster XL Custom
MemberDubCrazy
A.k.a.: steff
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 145

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: painting anything in front of me

posted on January 28th, 2006 at 07:07 AM

For that system you will need a bigger alternator as the standard jobbie will struggle .

As regards as your how much to fit, the skys the limit really but remember its a small carwith amazing sound despersion so if you think about it and do your homeowrk you can have a bloody fantastic system .

The coments about 4 or more and your a wanker .. what do i say to that? i mean really your talking about fitting 6x9's the cheap way to loud crap sound. i need not say anymore!

To build a good system think long and hard about it and spend the money to buy the decent stuff and most importantly buy componants!!! dont waste your time and money on 3ways etc they give a lot of nosie for the money but if your after pure sound its the only way to go.

To give you an idea i was running a kenwood krc 868d passive head unit with a 12 inch hq kenwood sub in a small port box facing forwards in under the parcel shelf, 6 inch calibre mids and tweeters in the rear side panels and 5 caliber inch mids and tweeters in the front foot wells(tweeter under the dash) with two kenwood kac 626 amps, a pulk amp and a cyclone dry cell battery.. the sound was near perfect and it all fired to front center of the car with no real escape of sound from the car( didn't go down the road and people could hear thump thump before they see you) It worked really well and it was plenty loud enuf. it took a few attempts to get it right with what brands of speakers and such but its worth it, nothing worse that a crap sounding stereo or one that fades off when wound up

At the end of the day it all comes down to what your want from a system for vaule for money there are 6x9's that are alright, they give bang for bunks but for a good clear sound you have to use componets but the price goes up heaps in doing so.

Look into it before u buy as different speakers,amps,head units will have an affect on the system as a whole nothing worse than spending a small fortune and having one part being a let down.

steff.......................

[ Edited on 27-1-06 by DubCrazy ]

Life with out a v-dub is no life at all!!!!!
Member53racer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 28th, 2006 at 02:46 PM

all my audio equipement is response stuff (jaycar) reason being i work there, and get staff discount, so suddently 1200$ worth of audio and accesories becomes 700$
so, hence my reason, the stuff sounda alright, and the guy installing my audio who works with me used to pro install sound equipment in limos, so he knows his thing.
still researching h/u, but next to pos will be a pioneer,

the car is a 67 bug, with supposidly a 1600 engine, so, whatever gen came with that....

i know im giving wayyyyy to much insight, but all help is appreciated.

DE-38-UG
1964 1200.
Beware the Wolfsburg.
Super Administratorbarls
A.k.a.: Mr indestructible
Super Administrator
Causer of Chaos and Mayhem

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 295

Theme: UltimaBB Streamlined2
Mood: indestructible? and listening to the voices

posted on January 28th, 2006 at 02:53 PM

i suggest reading dasdubber's members ride thread i know its long but he has a setup like what your trying to achieve

“We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.” Bill Hicks
the chaos project - click me

http://www.goats.com/store/images/banner_destroy.png
Member53racer
Seriously Crusin Dubber

posted on January 28th, 2006 at 03:25 PM

yeah, theres so much to read, i went like 5 pages in, then gave up and was only look at pictures :P love his ride.

DE-38-UG
1964 1200.
Beware the Wolfsburg.
Memberfirefly
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

Threads: 9

Mood: Enlightened

posted on January 28th, 2006 at 10:39 PM

Having done alot of professional high end installs I can only recommend one thing. toss the idea of 6x9's. As stated very nicely above they are the best way to great Loud crappy sound quickly. If you appreciate your ears you will give it the best sound you can afford.

If you look at a simple setup you will find it will work well. If you choose a set of speakers for the front try and keep within the same family for your rears. If you wish to go on th cheap run fronts only and a sub. This will give you a great sound for your ears and great bass/midrange response too.

For the front by components. The lower the tweeters are mounted the nicer the stereo image will be. Look in teh mirror at your ears. which way do they point??? forward, so design the fronts first, and build on this. If your alternator is still the original 30amp, then you will need to increase this slightly minmum I would run (in any other car, not sure on what is availible for beetle) is a 45amp jobbie. If you have a generator then this will definately not cut it. you will find that generators will be about 26amp max, the bonus about a generator is that they are actually charging the battery well at idle whereas a alt will nto start charging fully until about 1300rpm.

I would also look at replacing the battery to a bigger unit. this will give you a bigger storage device (batteries store energy) A gel pack style battery will last heaps longer than normal lead acid and will coupe with heavy bass for longer.

Advice for someone on budget buy a head unit and desent fronts. this will give you great tunes and nice setup but will lack a little in bass department, but you can add to this. If you already have a ok unit and speakers start with a sub and amp (if HU allows connection.) this wil give you nice bass and then build on speakers and finally the head unit. this will give you a great sense of vavlue for money.

Oval windows are cool.. ;) oval speakers are not!!!

Cheers

Go To Top