Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 2277 | Total Replies: 4 | Thread Id: 57669 ]
Author: Subject:  whats all this rego stuff about HELP ????
Memberpommie
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on October 21st, 2006 at 06:36 AM
whats all this rego stuff about HELP ????

hey people
moving over from NZ to OZ ( not sure where yet but in jan ) and i have seen that some people knock money off there vehicles if they sell them to another state
whats all that about?? so if i was to buy a vehicle in say NSW with full rogo and are driving to SA to live how much would they knock off the price and what would i have to do to drive it in anohter state
thanks for your help just rather know before i get here

would like another bus but they getting to expensive for me so will prob have to get a bug just sold my bus 5000nz this week Text

pics at
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v309/kiribrown/ 
MemberOasis
Custom Title Time!
Going alone...

Threads: 77

Mood: Deep

posted on October 21st, 2006 at 12:39 PM

Hi Pommie,

The car you buy has to be registered in the state you live in, so if you're going to live in SA, you're better off buying a car in SA, rather than buying in NSW for e.g., and then transferring the rego over when you get to S.A, because it is a very detailed rego inspection when moving interstate. (it's called getting a Blue slip). I've done it a couple of times and has taken a lot of time to get everything fixed so I can register it. The car goes over the "pits", and virtually eveything is checked and has to work as though new. No engine leaks, no play in the front end, no rust etc... Re-registering a car in the same state is a relatively simple safety check of brakes, all the lights, checking chassis number etc... Hope this helps. Having said that, if you find the right car, go for it, and just allow for the fact that it may be a bit of fiddling and time before you get it passed for Rego.

"Tell him 'We've already got one'"
MemberOasis
Custom Title Time!
Going alone...

Threads: 77

Mood: Deep

posted on October 21st, 2006 at 12:43 PM

By the way, you can drive the car anywhere in Australia, and I think you can "live" interstate for up to a year without changing rego, as long as you can prove that your primary place of residence is SA. You would have to have a house, postal address etc in SA that you "live" at, and you could stay interstate for long periods of time.

"Tell him 'We've already got one'"
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on October 21st, 2006 at 01:24 PM

Hi Pommy from NZ..

All the different states want Your registration money...

I believe You only have approx a week to get your car rego changed from another state to NSW if You move to NSW...
but many people don't do this...
and if they have relations living in QLD or SA the cars are registered in those cheaper states, plus no annual rego checks in QLD and SA..
[I'm not sure about their licence addresses??]
in NSW the car is checked every 12 months for road worthiness..

If You bought a car in NSW and were going to live in SA,
then the registration and [green slip] insurance can be cancelled and the remainder of the costs reimbursed to You...

and if you were going to buy a car that was due t be re registered and you were taking it to another state, then the cost of rego and compulsary insurance would be taken from the cost of the vehicle you are buying.
it will vary, but maybe a saving of approx $500 [+ or -] ..

If You buy a car that is unregistered, make sure you have a bill of sale, and an old registration form, and the engine and chassis numbers are correct...
otherwise You will have major problems...

Naturally, its best to buy a car in good mechanical condition... and in the state you are licenced in...

I also believe its better to have an unregistered car get its blue slip in the country, where regular Mechanics look at your car.
Not the RTA people....
Some Mechanics don't check many things...
unless the car looks unroadworthy... problems then...

also, an unregistered car is worth a LOT LESS than a registered one...

Best of Luck

Lee -- 68AutoBug...

http://community.webshots.com/user/vw68autobug 

Error
Sorry, you must be a registered user in order to download attachments.

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberpommie
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 5

posted on October 25th, 2006 at 12:28 PM

thanks for that guys its a little clearer now
just have to decide which state to move to ( thats the mrs choice as she the one with the trade ) and then have a look for a bug or bus
thanks
pommie roger and kiwi kiri

Go To Top