Author: Subject: getting to hot
Memberdevilbug
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 37

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on September 14th, 2002 at 09:52 PM
getting to hot

hi guys if anybody can help would be appreciated.i just took the 1641 out of the manx and put it into the 65 beetle. put all the tinware on changed the oil cooler,larger fan but it seems to be running a bit to hot. cheers kevin.
MemberKruizinKombi
A.k.a.: Col
Bishop of Volkswagenism
Seriously Obsessed Cyber Dubber

Threads: 104

Mood: Indifferent

posted on September 14th, 2002 at 10:52 PM
Overheating

Assuming that everything is working correctly, you may require more airflow than the vents in the 65 allows, although I wouldn't think so on a 'mild' engine.

Check that your cooling system is functioning correctly and that your engine is clean and tuned correctly, and if the problem persists, think about improving the airflow into the engine compartment.

You can use a vented engine lid from a cabrio or late model, add louvres to your existing engine lid, use stand-off hinges, or modify the lock to that the engine lid doesn't close properly. :)

Kruizin Kol
Memberdevilbug
Slammed & Awesome Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 37

posted on September 15th, 2002 at 09:31 AM

thanks kruizinkombi.its got vents in the engine lid,13 inch rims on it,gearbox has been done up,done a speedo check thats fine not reving to hard.engine is spotless motor has done very little kms,runs very well, what temp do they run at.cheers kevin.
MemberChe Castro
Custom Title Time!
ankle straps

Threads: 79

Mood: (( }:-{D]

posted on September 15th, 2002 at 06:19 PM

check that the engine bay seals are intact and installed properly, this can make a huge difference, the upper part of the engine has to be completely seperated from the lower part otherwise hot air will be sucked up from the exhaust, cylinders and heads into the fan and it will get hotter and hotter.

Jon
Membervwrallycar
A.k.a.: Andrew Rankin
Insano Dub Head

Threads: 83

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Black

posted on September 15th, 2002 at 07:47 PM

hi devilbug yeah if you already have the late 1600 twin port cooling tinware you really shouldnt be having any problems, but if you install an oil temp guage you will find out for sure. now there are a couple of different places to put the temp sender but i recommend the dipstick tube sender by VDO. now i live in cental Queensland where its very hot in summer and very rarely did my 1641 ever go over the 100 degree celcius mark. so try a temp guage and make sure your engine is getting too hot, but what temp is too hot i cant answer!! also does your engine have the thermostats still attached?
also make sure all cooling tinware is there and all seals are in place

Go To Top