MemberIwish4aSynchro
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 102

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: Cheery

posted on February 1st, 2007 at 09:35 PM
Just changing the water pump. Light reading

Sure. Story of a T3
Well it started as a 2-3hr job, take the old one off and drop the fluid,put the new one on and add the G12, Simple yeh.
Bugger me did the job started refilling the lines and then it turns out the outlet from the water pump is leaking, ok. Take off the pulley wheel again, remove outlet pipe awkward job wtih limited room to move whilst drying and cleaning the pump/flange.
Re-goo the gasket, put it back on and start filling again. Shit another leak, where from this time, U know that bloody pain in the ass pipe that goes from top of pump into oil cooler channel, u know it that little one thats about 2 and a 1/2 inches and bent like a nasty piece of work, well try taking that off without removing every other bloody piece of water pump. I know u know the saga. Take everything off again water pump, pulley on water pump and offending pipes and hoses, luckily we have a wrecker sitting around and the offending little pain in the ass hose from pump to oil cooler is replaced.
Put it "all" back on again.

Another bloody leak, the joiner pipe on the outlet that flows under the main pulley, u know the one, yeh. Right.
Refit the pipe and tighten clamps double tight, fixed, no, next came the real pain in the ass.

Water is dribbling out the bottom of the motor from the engine cradle under main pulley, on first check there are no obvious signs of any leaks from anywhere, must be fluid overflow, hang on its still running. Check every hose from the branch back to outlet side. No there all good, it's still leaking after running hands sorry fingers over original outlet pipe on water pump, i find a little river, flowing ever so slightly, just enough to keep the dripping underneath seem like a minor flood.
Ok, take off outlet pipe joiner behind pulley, yeh that one and outlet pipe from water pump end again. Rotate it just enough so i can get some wet and dry on the offending pipe and what do u know, holy shit, it's a pin prick sized hole under the bolt/hex bolt. Yes the original leak after putting it all back together for the first time was the same offending pin pricked hole in the pump sided outlet pipe,holy shit.
Now take off the water punp and all other neccessary hoses and pipes so as to give the space needed to remove the offending end of pipe behind pulley wheel, another job in itself, crickey, after some light persuasion from me i got it out. The whole pipe is, well not so healthy, turns out it's been brased a couple of time already. So another one should'nt hurt.
Wont know until tomorrow.
Shit it's not even my T3, my'n is running sweet.
Family is such fun :smilegrin::smilegrin::smilegrin:

Keep the steering and the propulsion seperate . Still a Kombi...

It's all good, until it's bad, i suppose
Membercrewcabconnection
Custom Title Time!
Being Sid James

Threads: 293

Mood: Looking forward to week 10

posted on February 1st, 2007 at 09:38 PM

my new pump took about 10mins, 5 to drop it off, 5 to pick it up. Money well spent then.

Loves a lolcat
MemberIwish4aSynchro
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on February 1st, 2007 at 09:47 PM

No i think u missed out on a wonderful learning experience and a wasted day.:tu:

Membergreedy53
Bishop of Volkswagenism

Threads: 468

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Grey
Mood: strung out

posted on February 2nd, 2007 at 09:31 AM

you did say pin prick hole not prick pin hole wish i was there to share such a bonding and warm experience

:yes::yes::lol::no::ninja::grind::dork:
MemberIwish4aSynchro
Wolfsburg Wizard

posted on February 2nd, 2007 at 08:12 PM

Yeh thanks.
Its fixed flushed out every line again and refilled with G12 and then bleed the system at both ends.
Holy heck what a minor fun job.
On the other hand, i am now quite capable of assembly and disassembly, i reckon I could do it in the dark blindfolded.
I tell u what someone should have re-engineered some of those pipes.

Go To Top