Author: Subject:  Looking for a Kombi - preferably in the Perth Area
Memberyellow box of doom
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 3

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on June 22nd, 2007 at 09:42 PM
Looking for a Kombi - preferably in the Perth Area

I'm moving to Perth in August and looking for a Kombi!!

Would summarize what looking for as:

Must have:
Sound bodywork and shassy - as rust free as could reasonably be expected - but dents etc don't matter
mechanically sound - weekend runs and maybe a couple of times a week to work
Ideal fit out would be just the double bed in the back - although if completely open could throw a swag down
1600 engine or larger

Nice to have:
Camper or minibus - don't mind which but not Ute
Space to walk between seats in front to the back
Tidy paint job
Pop-top - but not a major factor

Not Important:
Flashy pimped up paint jobs or dropped suspension
Not too fussed that much about cooker, sink etc - would rather have the space for other stuff
Fancy stereos etc

I am pretty much looking for a simple understated little runner with her own character, has the space to carry a couple of mountain bikes or dive gear, a bed to sleep in overnight for weekend away trips and reliable enough to be able to drive to work if the mood took me. Also, as I know very little about car mechanic-ary restoring an old one myself wouldn't really be an option - I just don't have the skills.

Price Range - 5k ideal, 10k considered for something really good.
Preferably in the Perth Area, or at least within drivable distance from Perth.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?
MemberWild1
A.k.a.: marty
Wolfsburg Wizard

Threads: 34

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Purple
Mood: Green!

posted on June 23rd, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Post a wanted in the Buy/Sell section.
Membervwjon
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 101

Mood: oily n thirsty

posted on June 23rd, 2007 at 11:56 AM

have a look in the qokka paper on a thursday, theres always stuff in there, good bad n ugly

3 1959 cadillacs
1 musso
2 early notchbacks
2 split kombis
2 split panels
1 split ute
1 low light panel
1 ex-pmg bay
1 country buggy
1 beetle ute
1 14" syncro caravelle
1 16" syncro doka
1 golf cabrio
1 vw camper trailer
2 3meter bombs
Memberyellow box of doom
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 1st, 2007 at 02:09 PM

Hey Folks

I have spent a bit of time trawling on the net in advance of moving to Perth and found a bus I really like the looks of so much so that I am very very tempted to simply buy it over the net without actually going to see it first.

The bus is currently being restored by Coast to Coast Kombi's in Gold Coast (Hi Iain if you read this forum). Does anybody out there know C2CK? are they a good outfit?

The bus looks pretty nice to me and appears, from my limited understanding, to be being done up well. Any comments?

Link to data sheet on C2CK Page

Now, normally I would insist on seeing any car before buying it however this one fits exactly what I want and it is bright yellow so I thought I'd ask you lot your opinion or cautionary tales about buying un-seen.

At the end of the day it would cost me a few thousand dollars to travel over there now to go see it (as I'm in Dubai) which I figure I could better keep as a repair fund should there be anything wrong with my van later on. Also, not being very mechanically monded, even if I went over there to view, I would probably still base my selection criteria on "Oooo it looks a good as the pictures!!"

Advise on the bus in question, confirmation of C2CK workmanship or general advise on buying would be most welcome.
Membersneak_e
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 48

Mood: Distracted (Perth)

posted on July 3rd, 2007 at 01:28 AM

I'd maybe put a post up in the main section and ask if anyone with some vw knowledge who lives on the gold coast could go take a look for you in person - at least they can remain unbiased. You could offer some beers as gratis ;)

Anyway, when you get to Perth give us a shout as we have a pretty tidy group of bus-heads who meet up as regularly as possible for cruises and outings!

cheers,
Brian

-----------------------------
Brian White Media
PO Box 237
North Beach 6920
Western Australia
http://www.bwmedia.com.au 
-----------------------------
Memberyellow box of doom
Learner Dubber

No Avatar

posted on July 3rd, 2007 at 03:09 AM

Brian

I got some pretty good responses on the private mails and have decided to take the plunge and buy the bus sight unseen so its all systems go now. Its not completely sight unseen as C2CK have sent me lots of other photos around the bus so I'm pretty happy.

The way I see it it C2CK seem to have a pretty good reputation/track record, and it would cost me a few thousand dollars to fly over there to check it out, which would make a pretty tidy start to a repair fund if there is anything untoward so what the heck.

Will certainly get in touch once I touch down in Perth, although no doubt I'll be easy to spot, I'll be the one in the bright yellow lowlight!!

Steven

Go To Top