[ Total Views: 1193 | Total Replies: 8 | Thread Id: 64166 ]
Author: Subject:  Drain Pipes Type 3
MemberVWMA Editor
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 243

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 5th, 2007 at 10:31 PM
Drain Pipes Type 3

Alright, I'm still on the Type 3 learning curve, but gettin' there quick.

The Square now has new ball joints, new tie rods, new steering box, all new brakes, all new fuel and brake lines, has been lowered 4" (that was neat!), and has most of the surface rust and baked on grime removed from the front beam and frame head and new paint applied. Fuel tank has also been removed, drained, cleaned and the underside painted.

While I was up front and with the fuel tank removed I discovered two drain holes exiting from the front firewall, which were connected to two plastic pipes that fed from inside up under the dash. Are these the drain pipes for the top bonnet vents where the fresh air enters? I've removed them as one was choked full of crap. Can I run water down through the vents to clean out this area as I reckon there must be a bit trapped up there?

[ Edited on 5-8-2007 by VWMA Editor ]
Super Moderatormatberry
Super Moderator
Go hard or go home

Rank Avatar

Threads: 134

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: enjoying waving at all my Kombi buddies from my T3

posted on August 5th, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Yes you are right.
The pipes drain the air vent area.
Hose without them & have wet feet!
Matt:)

Matt Berry Motorsports...air cooled advice, repairs and mods Ph 0408 704 662
OFF-ROAD,CIRCUIT,DRAG,STREET,ENDURANCE
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/mattberry-photo/20032011354-2.jpg
Super Administratorvw54
Super Administrator
Always Waiting 4 Friday

Rank Avatar

No Avatar

Threads: 378

Mood: Oval resto ongoing

posted on August 6th, 2007 at 08:36 AM

blow them out with compressed air if you can it close or run a bit of stiff wire through there

When you have nuthing to do one Sat arvo ( LOL ) get under the dash and pull the air box right out n give it a good clean reseal it up with some gutter silastic as none of the seals are available lubricate the levers and make it work once again

MemberPurpleT3
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 55

Mood: knackered

posted on August 6th, 2007 at 08:41 AM

One of those pipes is from the "pocket" under the vents on the bonnet, the other comes from the bottom of the fresh air box. Running water through won't do much. As Dave said, spend a day under the dash, pull the fresh air box out, clean it out and do the pipes while you're at it.

Ain't nothin' like the wind in your hair.
Memberkombimatt
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 40

Mood: Fast

posted on August 10th, 2007 at 03:18 PM

I think I have the same problem except I have water entering the car into the foot well from the air box? area.

Would I be right in suspecting it too is full of crap and blocked and therefore overflowing into the car? We have had heaps of rain down here in Tassie and the Fasty doesn't like it one bit.

BTW does anyone have a heating control knob laying around? the one that controls the airflow to the feet that connects near the door?

Matt
Lovin' the Dubs
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/kombimatt/Freda/0719081615-00-1-1.jpghttp://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/kombimatt/Fastback/100_3297-1.jpg
Membersquizy
A.k.a.: Paul
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
Thinking about another dub...maybe

Threads: 243

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue

posted on August 10th, 2007 at 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kombimatt

Would I be right in suspecting it too is full of crap and blocked and therefore overflowing into the car? We have had heaps of rain down here in Tassie and the Fasty doesn't like it one bit.

You are correct. As Dave said, stick some wire down and poke out the years supply of grime, dirt, dead flys and bees. That's how I discovered mine was clogged - a wet footwell.
Memberkoolkarmakombi
Veteran Volks Folk
enkarmarising

Threads: 158

Mood: do you see the bats?

posted on August 10th, 2007 at 08:41 PM

they fill up with leaves and all sorts of shit

This disclaimer does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my dog: don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; this disclaimer is subject to change without notice; text is slightly enlarged to show detail; resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and coincidental; dry clean only; do not bend, fold, or mutilate; anchovies or jalapenos added to this disclaimer upon request; your mileage may vary; no substitutions are allowed; for a limited time only while supplies last; offer void where prohibited; this disclaimer is provided "as is" without any warranties expressed or implied
Memberkombimatt
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 40

Mood: Fast

posted on August 11th, 2007 at 06:26 PM

Yep took the air box out today and guess what - leaves and shit. Whoa what a job. Lucky the seats are out coz I had to lay on my back and look up under the dash with a torch.

Got lots of wet gunk in the 'pocket' below the vents so this needs a good dry out as well.

Fan in the air box still works surprisingly. So now to put it all back together and hopefully no more wet floor!!! With new carpet going in I want to make sure no sneaky water gets in and under and lies around rusting my pan.

Matt
Lovin' the Dubs
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/kombimatt/Freda/0719081615-00-1-1.jpghttp://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r213/kombimatt/Fastback/100_3297-1.jpg
MemberRocket
Seriously Crusin Dubber

Threads: 12

Mood: Old

posted on August 11th, 2007 at 07:55 PM

Check the air box seals as they can be a source of water.

Go To Top