Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1082 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 64530 ]
Author: Subject:  Late box into early body?
Memberschnidlee
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 27

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on August 23rd, 2007 at 12:44 PM
Late box into early body?

Hey guys, i just bought a later model squareback that has a good running engine and box that i want to put into my 64 squareback. ive already got a twin port 1600 hooked up to the original 1500 box but the box is on the way out. so i want to put the newer 1600 box in. problem is the 1600 box is the c/v diff and the 1500 box is the straight axle diff. has anyone here ever done this conversion and can anyone give me any advice? cheers
Matt
Memberschnidlee
Commited Dubber

No Avatar

Threads: 27

posted on August 25th, 2007 at 05:36 PM

just picked up the new squareback and took it for a spin! has heaps more go than mine so really ken to get that engine and box in so any help or even leads to other sites would be great. also has anyone doe a front end swap over? thinking ill swap beams so ill have the shocks and discs if its possible? cheers
Matt
Member11CAB
Compulsive Aussie Vee Dubber
If ya got it....Baja it

Threads: 321

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Beach'n

posted on August 25th, 2007 at 05:48 PM

The whole rear suspension unbolts out of the late body, is the early body bolted in the same?If it is, that would be a fairly easy swap. You will need to have the pivot boxes to run the diagonal arms etc to use the CV gearbox

65 Meyers Manx
68 Country Buggy (KO 367)
68 Country Buggy (KO 669)
68 Country Buggy (KO 789)
68 Country Buggy (KO 815)
68 Baja Bug
76 Baja Kombi Twincab
MemberKlaus
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 100

Mood: Heavily modified

posted on August 30th, 2007 at 09:12 PM

swap isnt a problem its the rear engine mounts thats missing in the early body shells . You can either make your own mounts or cut ones out of the wagon and bolt or weld them in . The top mount near breather box can still be used it will just add strength to conversion, just undo bolt and tube from fan housing and swap over .
front ends are a straight swap , also a good time to lower it aswell ,only downside is you will now have 4 stud .
Might aswell upgrade to dual circuit brakes out of the wagon too.
Yeah rear subframes can be swapped dont forget to undo bolts that are under grey caps under rear seat.

Go To Top