Board Logo
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
[ Total Views: 1076 | Total Replies: 3 | Thread Id: 64943 ]
Author: Subject:  notchback wanted/project idea/tech qu's?
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 187

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )
Mood: addicted

posted on September 10th, 2007 at 10:27 PM
notchback wanted/project idea/tech qu's?

Hi guys,

I am looking at doing up an early notch as a daily driven replacement for my early merc and was wondering if anyone had an early notch shell kicking around for sale to start the project?

Am thinking of going with an early shell, mounted on a later chassis, high back seats, with 4 wheel disks and a blueprinted, turbo 2.0l type 4 motor... plus all the other goodies I've promised to put in any 'dub I've touched thus far ;)

I've seen people overseas running type 4's in type 3's but not locally. I would like to stick with the pancake cooling -to retain the boot space - and was wondering if the air vents above the boot in the notch would supply enough air to cool a hot type 4 motor?

I have also seen a few of you guys running solid mounted rear subframes and would like to know how you found the change in ride quality, noise & viabration levels, etc....

Cheers,
Cam
MemberKlaus
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 100

Mood: Heavily modified

posted on September 13th, 2007 at 09:36 PM

I've got 2 notches both are definately projects 64 , 65
I,ve had a t4 motor in the back of my 68 wagon and hooked up fan housing to the standard intake hole at the rear of engine bay , Going t4 is good but you have to have deep pockets to get reliable power , from when I looked into building a n/a motor. And then decided on the subi option cost about $6000 to do conversion inc engineer report, and got a stock 200hp.
the notch's are in nsw wollongong. Klaus 0428 427 986
Membermackaymanx
A.k.a.: Brent
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 97

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue
Mood: Brad'ed Off :td:

posted on September 13th, 2007 at 09:52 PM

If your worried about air flow for the type4 engine, you could use fastback/squareback guards for the additional vents to add to the standard notch ones

Quote of the week
"Do I wish to send them to you again, nope, no interest can't be bothered really, to much hassle for little or no return."

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate2-18600.png
MemberCam
Custom Title Time!

Threads: 187

Mood: addicted

posted on September 15th, 2007 at 02:24 AM

Thanks guys...

Klaus - the scooby idea is something I've seriously considered, but I'm a die hard aircooler. I am going to look into it further, at this stage tho, it will be type IV.

mackaymanx - again, I've thought about this one as well. Will have to have a good look at the inner guards of a notch and square/fasty close up before I decided. Would look trick in a real factory/subtle way - kind of like that mid engined porsche RS powered super beetle built in the 70's that used those vents.

Go To Top