[ Total Views: 1141 | Total Replies: 5 | Thread Id: 66370 ]
Author: Subject:  1300 Custom?
Memberbigdave
Officially Full-On Dubber

Threads: 98

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Blue ( Default )

posted on December 2nd, 2007 at 11:32 AM
1300 Custom?

Can anyone tell me on what makes a 1967 1300 Custom different from say a Deluxe or standard?
Cheers
Dave
Memberringoschariot

No Avatar

Threads: 72

Mood: hopeful

posted on December 7th, 2007 at 12:38 PM

The 1967 custom was basically a run out model for the old shape Beetle, they are pretty much the same as the standard with a few differences. I used to own one but as i have never had a standard I couldnt tell you what differences they was.
MemberMatt Ryan
A.k.a.: Matt Ryan
Fahrvergnugen

Threads: 107

Mood: Fweemin

posted on December 8th, 2007 at 08:53 AM

bigdave,

Standard model was introduced in August 1962 retailing at 142 Pounds less than a Deluxe, mechanically the same except for no steering damper. Bodywise, it was a simplified stripped down version of the Deluxe, silver painted hubcaps, bumpers & quarter windows, no overrider's or towel rails, no external chrome trim, no Wolfsburg crest, no external mirrors. Inside there was a much reduced headlining with painted metal surrounding side & rear windows, plain one colour vinyl trim, no interior light, no glovebox lid, no dash trim, no fuel gauge, plain black steering wheel, no windscreen washers and only a drivers side sunvisor. Sometimes it was referred to as "the austerity model".

Standard model was re-named Custom in 67, it was the same except the custom got chrome bumpers & hubcaps. At that time a Deluxe was $1838 and Custom $1598. Deluxe finished in March 1968 as Aussie production was being wound down, CKD kits had not arrived from Germany, full imports and Custom model filled the gap until CKD assembly started in August '68 & Custom model was discontinued September '68 when CKD production volume was sufficient.
( from: Knowing Australian Volkswagens by Dave Long & Phil Mathews 1993)

It must have been hard flogging the Customs (basically not much changed from a stripped down '61 model) against the all new fully imported German '68 model ($1998 manual, $2130 semi auto) despite the $400 price difference

The end result is the 1967-8 Customs were the very last of the fully Australian manufactured Beetles.

Regards,

Matt.

Memberbigdave

Threads: 98

posted on December 8th, 2007 at 10:52 AM

mmmm.....Have to get me that book.

Thanks chaps.
Member68AutoBug
A.k.a.: Lee Noonan
Aircooled Master
Beetle Restorer - Experience over 138% - YIKES --

Threads: 449

Theme: UltimaBB Pro Yellow
Mood: Really Mentally Ill - all of the time -

posted on December 8th, 2007 at 11:26 AM

the Customs blade bumpers were NOT chromed but made from stainless steel..

so they weren't as shiney as chrome plus overriders were only chrome so couldn't be used..

they did however look 100% better than the "standard"
beetle.... with painted bumpers and hubcaps..

Most of these cars ended up having chrome strips.hubcaps and bumpers added, by later owners..
also the standard steering wheels are very rare.

an interior lamp and door switches were also added..

I saw an original custom recently that still had No interior lamp and no interior lamp switch holes...

I also saw many years ago, a standard 1968 beetle that came from Germany and was delivered to a Sydney VW dealer.
it had white painted front blinker tops and front 1/4 windows frames...

I cant remember what tail lamps and headlamps it had...

Lee

- [size=4]Helping keep Air Cooled VWs on the road - location: SCONE in the Upper Hunter Valley - Northern NSW 320 kms NNW of SYDNEY--- [/size]
Memberringoschariot

No Avatar

Threads: 72

Mood: hopeful

posted on December 17th, 2007 at 09:45 AM

my 67 custom had painted 1/4 window frames and no interior light holes or wiring. no chrome strips on the dash but it did have chrome bumpers and side side trim. Only the central section of the roof had a lining and it didnt have grab handles inside or any holes to even mount them.

Go To Top